English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 May 2007, 19:53   #1
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Problems setting up SCSI Hard Drive

I am trying to set up a SCSI hard drive which I recently got which was erased or formatted or whatever by the previous owner. I haven't formatted a SCSI drive before, but many times a IDE drive including larger 160GB one.

I am having trouble trying to partition the drive, let alone format it.

The problem is that the hard drive's geometry etc is not being recognised. It is connected to a Blizzard IV SCSI kit which I successfully use to burn CDs etc. Also the termination is fine (active termination by hard drive jumper), as is the SCSI ID (4), and it is recognised as being connected.

BUT, when I try to use SCSIConfig v1.15 on WB3.1 (set to 1230scsi.device), it complains that it says "Warning: This is not allowed for a Empty scsi-device".

Then I try and use HDToolBox, and it says unknown type, so then I select "Set Drive Type" -> "Define New". Then I click on "Read Configuration", and it says "Cannot read device size!". So then I manually type in the Cylinders, Heads, Blocks Per Track for a just under 2GB drive (the drive is about 2.1GB, but I put it less to be safe). Then click ok, then it looks up L:FastFileSystem, and that is fine.

BUT, then when I try to do anything else like "Save Changes to Drive" or "Low Level format" (which HDToolBox help says to do) it gives me back "Error 45 on write!", so in the end nothing seems to get saved to the drive.

Hopefully someone can help in what I am doing wrong here.

EDIT: the drive does give back some data, it is an IBM DORS-32160 (50-pin version).
Old 19 May 2007, 21:12   #2
HolyPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor
...Then I click on "Read Configuration", and it says "Cannot read device size!". So then I manually type in ...
After reading the Drive Configuration, have you tried to continue without typing in the Cylinders, heads, etc.? I know you said that you got a "Cannot read device size!" Error, but could you still continue on to partition the drive? or did it demand that you enter the info before continuing?

If you have to enter the info, I would try to ensure that you enter the actual specs instead of underestimating just to be safe...perhaps it is a conflict between your estimation and the actual specs that is causing your problem? I googled your drive, and I have attempted to attach the specs here (doublecheck them before you try them):Click image for larger version

Name:	DriveSpecs.PNG
Views:	385
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	13900

Old 19 May 2007, 22:09   #3
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@HolyPete

I didn't try to continue with the defaults when it couldn't read the drive config, as it just set it to a 20MB drive, and may just be the defaults for HDToolBox, nothing to do with the actual drive.

Also, the drive specifications do not do it in the amiga terms of cylinders, heads, etc. I think the amiga config doesn't care as long as the total size is under that of the actual drive (just over 2GB in this case or the total logical data bytes in your attachment of 2164083200) - someone correct me if I am wrong. Or if someone is able to convert it into amiga specs? Maybe there is a limit on the number of cylinders or heads, etc in the amiga config?

EDIT: I know that physically, the drive has 5 heads according to the manual.

Last edited by Calgor; 19 May 2007 at 22:16.
Old 20 May 2007, 12:42   #4
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

I tried another SCSI HD (1GB) i got which was already formatted and it is recognised fine, including the hard drive size from "Read Configuration".

Here is another person who had the same problem with a 4GB drive, but no known working solution was detailed:
http://www.amiga.org/modules/newbb/v...=34129&forum=8

Maybe it is because my hard drive size is just over 2GB? I have WB3.1 so I thought that wouldn't be a problem?
Old 20 May 2007, 12:56   #5
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I've had exactly the same problem with a 3.1GB Quantum Fireball on my A2000 HC+8. I've given up and I'm going to try a 1.2GB Seagate I have found instead
Old 20 May 2007, 16:09   #6
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Seems to be a problem with hard drives over 2GB. I know it comes up as negative hard drive size if you type it in manually in HDToolBox. Will try a later FFS and HDToolBox versions from OS3.5/3.9, and maybe HDInstTools too.

Does anyone know the maximum hard drive size supported by the hardware (i.e. 1230scsi.device, A4000T scsi.device, cybppc.device) from the Blizzard IV SCSI kit, A4000T SCSI controller(like A4091), and the CSPPC SCSI controller?

Last edited by Calgor; 20 May 2007 at 16:15.
Old 20 May 2007, 18:22   #7
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

I tried the newer FastFileSystem from AmiKit with no luck (same errors). Also tried HDToolBox from AmiKit but couldn't get it to work because of too many dependencies.

Tried HDInstTools 6.9, and that said the status of the hard disk as "Unsupported" with all options ghosted out.

I feel like throwing this hard drive at the wall!!!!

Next step is to try those hard disk recover tools that are around. If anyone can recommend a tool to get back data from a totally screwed amiga hard drive???? (it's not the data I care about, just to maybe get back the previous config of the drive).