English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 April 2014, 12:47   #81
kipper2k

I used to think that the GBS-2200 was good until i found the RGB SCART to HDMI adapter. Based on where you buy, the price of the HDMI adapter will be cheaper and the video quality much better,my GBS-2200 has now found its way into one of my parts bin.
Old 18 April 2014, 13:16   #82
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
I used to think that the GBS-2200 was good until i found the RGB SCART to HDMI adapter. Based on where you buy, the price of the HDMI adapter will be cheaper and the video quality much better,my GBS-2200 has now found its way into one of my parts bin.
Got a model number or something, kipper? I want to search for one, but I suspect that there might be more than a single model out there.
Old 18 April 2014, 13:26   #83
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Got a model number or something, kipper? I want to search for one, but I suspect that there might be more than a single model out there.
Link removed, was the wrong one...

this is the proper one one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-Vers...item4acb94cf09

Last edited by kipper2k; 18 April 2014 at 13:36. Reason: corrected the link
Old 18 April 2014, 13:29   #84
Johan1973

Kipper2k: Thanks mate, going to order one of those. Still want to resolve the issue for the GBS 8220 though

EDIT: AH, that one is for Composite only. That is a bummer. Something that uses RGB + Sync would produce a much better quality picture, due to the high amount of noise present in the amiga output of composite video.
Old 18 April 2014, 13:32   #85
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1973 View Post
Kipper2k: Thanks mate, going to order one of those. Still want to resolve the issue for the GBS 8220 though

EDIT: AH, that one is for Composite only. That is a bummer. Something that uses RGB + Sync would produce a much better quality picture, due to the high amount of noise present in the amiga output of composite video.

hang on...
it is the scart one you need

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-Vers...item4acb94cf09
Old 18 April 2014, 13:34   #86
Johan1973

Sweet.

Does it do aspect ratio correction as well? (since amiga use 4:3 and 1080p is 16:9)
Old 18 April 2014, 13:43   #87
kipper2k

Quote:
Sweet.

Does it do aspect ratio correction as well? (since amiga use 4:3 and 1080p is 16:9)
Hi,

My TV actually allows me to change it to 4:3 or 16:9 so i am not sure. (i'm not home to play with it)

heres a cheaper price...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCART-HDMI...-/220976911103

check around before committing to price
Old 18 April 2014, 17:55   #88
Johan1973

I have ordered one now. Will take about a month for it to arrive. Hope it can handle even unorthodox timings and resolutions like the c64 etc.
Old 18 April 2014, 20:21   #89
tomse
We need more scans!

@johan
[ Show youtube player ]

someone else asked about the GBS-8200 and highres interlaced so I made a quick video. I hope my shaky hand can show you something useful ;-)
Old 18 April 2014, 22:31   #90
Solo761

I finally tested my GBS8200. At first I tried amiga to vga cable but that didn't work, got only garbled screen. I guess it really doesn't like vsync and hsync . So I made new one using this schematic

http://i.imgur.com/QDXlLCD.jpg

Only "modification" I made is that I used ferrite ring and ran wires through it. I don't know if it makes any difference but since I had it...

I have two 5V 2A adapters. Cheap chinese ones. It works fine with one, but with the other there are waves going across the screen. Like sync problems. At first they went upwards, then they stopped for about half a minute, and then it went again downwards. But with the other one it's perfectly still.
Also, no "snow" either, I looked closely and haven't seen any white dots appearing. Maybe that too is PSU related?

All in all it lookes OK. Maybe picture is not that sharp as with SCART to HDMI adapter, but I'm not exactly sure since I can't have them side by side. In games (tried Soccer Kid) there is way less blurring while in motion. Wooden fence in the background stays "normal" with SCART to HDMI adapter it gets blurred so you can't see pixels on it. Unfortunately I've noticed that sometimes i messes up some sprites, I guess errors with deinterlacing. All in all, OK, not great, but has it's advantages, same as SCART to HDMI adapter.

Quote:
I have ordered one now. Will take about a month for it to arrive. Hope it can handle even unorthodox timings and resolutions like the c64 etc.
It works with C64, so far it worked with everything I tried (Amigas, C64, Nintendo Gamecube)
Old 18 April 2014, 22:46   #91
tomse
We need more scans!

LOL that "Schematic" looks very familiar (it's mine ).

I haven't tried any games on the GBS yet.. but I could do a vid about it tomorrow.
it would be nice if you can do the same on both, to compare quality.

sounds to me the "other" psu you have is bad.
I got one for a few bucks and as you can see it's quite stable.

I found this one Scart to HDMI (there's one that's cheaper but this one has more features)
http://bit.ly/1tj2bxn

seems like thats something I need to take a look at, might even be useful for some of the other consoles I have ;-)
Old 19 April 2014, 00:37   #92
Solo761

Found it via google when searching for "gbs-8200 amiga"

I even think I got both adapters from same online store, only difference is I ordered them in few months time span. They're both the same spec, but they're different by build. Oh well, at least I have one that works fine .

I'll have to get creative to record a video, I have only cell phone and I've tried holding it with one hand and playing with the other, it's too shaky to spot fine detail.

For Workbench SCART to HDMI looks better (IMO), but for games GBS works better. Has some glitches, but all in all I like it more. Blurring on moving objects annoys me too much with SCART to HDMI.

I have two SCART to HDMI adapters, the one from your link, and Lenkeng LKV362A that I found mentioned on http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ site as something cheap but good for the money it costs.

Here's some more info about it
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=946919&postcount=53

but all in all, one from your link is way better. Lenkeng lacks options and has somewhat lower picture quality

More info about SCART to HDMI adapter can be found here

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72555

@johan1973

This better one (from the links, not lenkeng) works fine with C64, I found pictures I took of it, these are on 42'' LCD TV

Old 19 April 2014, 10:43   #93
tomse
We need more scans!

I was looking at the Lenkeng, but I prefer to have the option of audio out.. + it just seems like a more robust product.

Scrolling up, and looking at the posts you've linked I can see that people are satisfied with it.. I'm going to order one ;-)

I'll see if I can dig out a HDMI to DVI cable somewhere.
Old 19 April 2014, 12:01   #94
Johan1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomse View Post
@johan
[ Show youtube player ]

someone else asked about the GBS-8200 and highres interlaced so I made a quick video. I hope my shaky hand can show you something useful ;-)

Well, it behaves the same as the GBS 8220 in the deinterlacing regard.

My question was, though perhaps a bit unclear, directed to kipper2k regarding the RGB to HDMI device he linked

Still trying to figure out what is going on with the white dot phenomenon that remains. I have not been able to borrow an oscilloscope, so that leaves experimentation, observation, and reflection. Takes a lot of time.
Old 19 April 2014, 12:25   #95
Solo761

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomse View Post
I was looking at the Lenkeng, but I prefer to have the option of audio out.. + it just seems like a more robust product.

Scrolling up, and looking at the posts you've linked I can see that people are satisfied with it.. I'm going to order one ;-)

I'll see if I can dig out a HDMI to DVI cable somewhere.
Lenkeng would be OK if there wasn't anything better, and there is . This "no name" one is better, more options if nothing else.

I use this kind of adapter to connect HDMI to DVI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141239693559
Old 19 April 2014, 14:15   #96
Johan1973

Perhaps we should discuss this new adapter in another thread, and not hijack this one that is for the users of GBS 8220?

The GBS 8200/8220 is a decent adapter for getting vga from amiga for its price point. And it is not only the amiga using it, with the random white dots. Many arcade boards exhibit the same behaviour.

What I find interesting is that it will do RGBHV if it is 31 khz (VGA input is what I have tested with), yet it wont do the same from the amiga at 15khz, which I find strange.
Old 19 April 2014, 14:27   #97
tomse
We need more scans!

when you say you try the 31kHz is that with the commodore RGB->VGA adapter and using dblPAL/dblNTSC?

I tested the setup using the adapter, but not the screenmode..

C= adapter --> GBS-8200 --> vga monitor

And the output was bad.. I can test the dblPAL and see how it goes.
The amiga is warmed up already, as I had some issues, with my indivision making weird colours.. nothing a hammer and nail couldn't fix
Old 19 April 2014, 16:20   #98
Johan1973

I tested using standard PAL screen mode, hoping it would do 15 Khz RGBHV, but it refuses, just states "no signal".
Old 19 April 2014, 16:54   #99
Solo761

How long is the cable you use to connect Amiga to GBS? Mine is 30 cm from one end of the connector to the other one. I didn't use cable supplied with GBS, I had others with same 8 pin connector. I just removed wires I don't use, so that makes 5 wires, GND, Sync, R, G and B.

(only miscalculated a bit on sleeve length )

Funny thing is that I haven't noticed any dots in the picture. Either they're made by GBS itself and I'm just lucky with the one I got, or it's something to do with cable length? Longer cable, more chance of outside noise? Mine is half the length of original (plus ferrite ring in the middle which could also help).
Old 19 April 2014, 17:34   #100
Johan1973

Cable is about 15 cm in all, and it really is luck of the draw. Some do not have a problem with the GBS 8220, and some have. Even between the two remaining good ones I have, there is differences that makes it not so easy to find a good solution that applies to all to solve the white dot issue.

Load IK+ check the screen when the logo are up with small characters fighting around it. And try State of the Art demo, look when there is much going on in the screen, on the black areas, if you see white dots.