English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 November 2006, 16:22   #1
girv
Mostly Harmless

Compiling WinUAE with VS 2005 Express ?

Is it possible? Anyone tried it? Anything to look out for?

So many questions...
Old 01 November 2006, 19:29   #2
rigardie_gr

what is 2005 Express ???
Old 01 November 2006, 20:18   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Free version of Visual Studio. http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

WinUAE AFAIK compiles fine with VS Express.

IMHO finding all required external libraries and headers that WinUAE needs is the biggest problem. (of course there are easier ways..)
Old 01 November 2006, 21:40   #4
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
IMHO finding all required external libraries and headers that WinUAE needs is the biggest problem. (of course there are easier ways..)
...such as ?
Old 02 November 2006, 19:09   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I have nice zipped archive containing all external headers and libraries but there are some issues that makes public download not possible.

-> try email or something similar
Old 04 November 2006, 18:56   #6
pjhutch
Peter

What is the future of Winuae code? Are you eventually going to redo it using .NET Framework or will that 'break' or slowdown some of the code. The longer you leave it the harder it is to maintain...

I happen to like the .NET framework as it is so much easier and quciker to code with. The Amiga platform API in comparison is a bit behind the times in comparison. MUI looks good but its complicated.
Old 04 November 2006, 18:59   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It would be easier to start from scratch. And no, I'd rather stop (Win)UAE development than switch languages.
Old 05 November 2006, 02:03   #8
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

So you continue to code in Finnish? Might get more helpful suggestions if your comments were in English :P

(j/k, mate. Last I saw of the WinUAE src most , if not everything, was in English )

For a serious question, though...... If I were to try and port to another platform (we pretend I "everything needed for the other platform" for the question) where would I start? Or even better... "porting" it to use DevC++ instead of VisualC++, for still compiling under Windows, would it be possible?
Old 05 November 2006, 12:47   #9
Ultron
Something

I'm guessing eUAE is using GCC (for both Linux and xcode for Mac?). So i'm guessing that may be already adressed. Besides Windows, Linux, Mac (all x86 by now) i don't know how much interesting an OS\Platform would be interesting to port.

Yep, apparently so it is: http://www.rcdrummond.net/uae/. Sources down in the page.
Old 09 November 2006, 04:27   #10
SSJ17Vegeta

Quote:
What is the future of Winuae code? Are you eventually going to redo it using .NET Framework or will that 'break' or slowdown some of the code. The longer you leave it the harder it is to maintain...

I happen to like the .NET framework as it is so much easier and quciker to code with. The Amiga platform API in comparison is a bit behind the times in comparison. MUI looks good but its complicated.
Well, there are a lot of people who don't like the .NET philosophy (class organisation, framework download required etc.).

I like the way WinUAE is designed until now because you don't need anything particular to make it run, and that's what the end user wants. Plus, I don't think .NET would bring WinUAE anything fantastic. As Toni said, it would rather take time to rewrite huge parts of the code.

Quote:
If I were to try and port to another platform (we pretend I "everything needed for the other platform" for the question) where would I start? Or even better... "porting" it to use DevC++ instead of VisualC++, for still compiling under Windows, would it be possible?
I don't think it would be possible (unfortunately T_T) to port WinUAE onto other platforms (Linux, Mac, etc...) because it is tightly linked to the OS (using Microsoft DDK and probably other Windows API calls).
I don't know about porting it to Dev-C++. I would approve the idea, but I think Visual Studio silently "adds" some code of its own that wouldn't run on a strict Ansi-C compiler like GCC (Dev-C++ uses GCC, it's merely an IDE).

Old 09 November 2006, 15:59   #11
Ultron
Something

Again, E-UAE already has taken care of that part, porting to GCC, and thus to an IDE like Dev-C or Code::Blocks. I don't know if there's a Windows version of E-UAE, if there is, then it's all already done.

The differences between Visual Studio and Dev-C or other IDEs isn't something that's terribly important. The fact that the windowing system and OS API's between Linux and Windows are different is, and, again, if E-UAE has done this, this is already done.

I just checked the E-UAE page and there isn't a Windows port - understandable as it'd be redudant. But redoing the Windows UI shouldn't be too hard or a problem at all, WinUAE is already platform agnostic for the most part since it's using OpenGL for the rendering and all. If E-UAE like the old UAE doesn't even feature a UI it's even more simple, i doubt there's all that many OS specific code in there.
Old 11 November 2006, 15:40   #12
pjhutch
Peter

Winuae development

Toni, which development system/suite do you use at present?

If you needed to switch to another dev suite, what would it be?
Old 11 November 2006, 16:06   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

VS 2005. I thought it was quite obvious

And no, I have no plans to switch.
Old 17 November 2006, 20:29   #14
ilm
Zone Friend

Send a message via AIM to ilm Send a message via Yahoo to ilm
what else indeed, vs 2005 is the best ide on windows (and of other platforms), wish there was a ide like that on linux too...
Old 17 November 2006, 21:04   #15
thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iv0
wish there was a ide like that on linux too...
Try the Code::Blocks IDE (http://www.codeblocks.org/) for Windows and Linux. It's really a nice one and under constant development, just make sure you download a recent nightly build, not the outdated RC2.
Old 18 November 2006, 17:59   #16
ilm
Zone Friend

Send a message via AIM to ilm Send a message via Yahoo to ilm
tried quite some ide's on linux, some of which were quite good. but none could match microsoft's ide imo

maybe they improved a bit now

sorry for hijacking the thread
Old 18 November 2006, 23:53   #17
amigauser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Free version of Visual Studio. http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

WinUAE AFAIK compiles fine with VS Express.

Is this free to anybody or is it just for developers please?

On the site there appear to be a number of versions e.g. Visual Basic, C++, Java etc. I've dabbled in C++ at a very rudimentary level and getting the C++ version of Express free would be great. Or have I miread the site?
Old 19 November 2006, 00:11   #18
thor

Everyone can download and use the free edition.
Old 19 November 2006, 00:32   #19
amigauser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Everyone can download and use the free edition.
Cheers, Thor. Thanks for that.
Old 29 November 2006, 02:29   #20
Dogmelon

What about including a compiling readme with the winuae source, showing what exactly the extra libraries and headers you need to download and where to put them.

DDK looks like it is back at µsoft.
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...30_usa_ddk.iso