English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL news

Old 16 July 2023, 13:19   #1
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

HOL v3 Launch

The new HOL is now live at the following sub-domain: https://amiga.abime.net

There are lots of changes but the major updates are:
  • Readable game URLs e.g. https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/hunter instead of https://hol.abime.net/764
  • Game pages now have a Game->Version->Release structure instead of separate game entries. For example, Zool has three versions (ECS, AGA and CD32) and Driller/Space Station Oblivion are in one entry.
  • New advanced game search and game listing.
  • Responsive design that adjusts for desktop/tablet/mobile.
  • New look and feel that tries to modernise but keep the old colour scheme, tabs etc.
  • In-page game info/screen/file editing for editors/admin.
  • DBSs are split into two screens alongside each other (horizontal for desktop, vertical for mobile).
  • Default screen size is doubled to 640x512.
  • Artist credits can have roles alongside.
  • Features (programming language, enhanced features, graphics, sound) moved out of Quickmatch to separate section.
  • Some Lore features incorporated into game entry e.g. scores, comments
  • Lore, aGTW and APoV incorporated into the site.
  • Achievements e.g. https://amiga.abime.net/users/view/user/id/25

Please report bugs and feedback.

Last edited by CodyJarrett; 16 July 2023 at 14:35.
Old 16 July 2023, 14:43   #2
BarryB
Amigaholic

Sorry, I'd like the previous HOL back please or an option to go back to it! When I went to HOL today I thought it had been hijacked and replaced with an 'APP' store frontend and couldn't understand what had happened! Plus, can it not auto-sign me in as well?

Sorry to be negative but I personally don't like it, it just looks too much like a mobile app store site now!
Old 16 July 2023, 14:53   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

A legacy/retro frontend is an option that I can look at. There are some significant differences which means that there isn't a one-to-one equivalence. For example, old separate game pages are now combined in a Game->Versions->Releases structure.
Old 16 July 2023, 15:06   #4
hitm4n

I really like it. Site is fast, navigation is easy, the info is laid out per game really nicely on the tabs (screenshots particularly are nicer to see this way).

I noticed one little error, if i use the search function and type nothing in, of course i get a full A-Z (6000+) games list appear (please don't block this). The first 6 entries are MIA with no info under them and all lead to a blank page for me. Just some rogue entries in DB i'm sure...

Nice job.
Old 16 July 2023, 15:27   #5
BarryB
Amigaholic

Probably the majority will like as more than likely the majority are used to mobile phone interfaces and won't notice any difference

At least Wayback Machine still works!!
Old 16 July 2023, 15:54   #6
Daff
Zone Friend

Seems to be a lot of work but, sorry, I prefer the old version with all informations condensed in one view. I also vote for an option "back to the previous HOL".
Old 16 July 2023, 16:04   #7
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

The info is still condensed in a single view. In fact, there is more info combined into a single page with the different versions of a game brought together.
Old 16 July 2023, 16:43   #8
Girolamo85

Probably our eyes still like on old format of the website but this is cool too, personally I like it, good effort!
Old 16 July 2023, 17:12   #9
DisasterIncarna

liking what i see so far, the fact its different from the original is no big deal imho, still looks like an upgrade to me.
Old 16 July 2023, 19:04   #10
Seiya

well, now it works very good. Nice graphically, very professional and every info about games very precise.
Compliments!
Old 16 July 2023, 19:34   #11
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Jesus, WHY? Another solid site destroyed. Was there no other option than this? I'm no website designer. But i would imagine there are better software/GUI options.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 16 July 2023 at 19:46.
Old 17 July 2023, 10:32   #12
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
A legacy/retro frontend is an option that I can look at.

I can understand that it'd probably be a lot of additional work, perhaps even mission impossible to maintain 2 separate versions (and just to please few curmudgeons). But, if there is even a slim chance of happening I'd vote wholeheartedly for it.

I'm also not a fan of the new version, just don't want to dump on it since I know you guys have put a lot of work into it and have best intentions in mind. I'm also sure it'll be eventually as functional as the old one, so my complaint is purely about the aesthetics. I simply love the old look, seeing as it was extremely well designed and one of the last remaining non-flattened and mobilised websites out there. This made it unique and gave it character.

Saying this as not a casual user, but someone who spent literally hundreds of hours staring at it over the last couple of years ;) So if you could consider conjuring an alternative it'd really be greatly appreciated.
Old 17 July 2023, 11:49   #13
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Jesus, WHY? Another solid site destroyed. Was there no other option than this? I'm no website designer. But i would imagine there are better software/GUI options.
I think it's something called 'progress' but if it ain't broke don't fix it!! I remember when Guru3D changed it's forum and it was awful so I never go there anymore as the old forum was fine as it was!

Anyway, as long as Wayback Machine still has the old site cached i'll keep using that for now, granted it won't be updated but the majority of the info is there, so that should satisfy most of the HOL v3 Haters
Old 17 July 2023, 12:30   #14
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Sorry, I'd like the previous HOL back please or an option to go back to it! When I went to HOL today I thought it had been hijacked and replaced with an 'APP' store frontend and couldn't understand what had happened! Plus, can it not auto-sign me in as well?

Sorry to be negative but I personally don't like it, it just looks too much like a mobile app store site now!
Exactly what I thought a minute ago when I looked for a game on it...
Sorry to say that, but the possibility to access the old frontend would be much much appreciated, if possible, thanks anyway for your time and effort.

PS:
I can't find the "number of disks" information that I found very useful indeed, will you add it eventually?
Old 17 July 2023, 12:37   #15
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

The number of disks is now on the releases row.
Old 17 July 2023, 12:43   #16
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
The number of disks is now on the releases row.
I just saw it, thanks.
Old 18 July 2023, 14:47   #17
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

The old one was working in Opera 12.16. This one crashes the browser if i open a game's page, probably because some "modern" unicode character.

The page is extremely slow in Pale Moon because of the brutal amount of JavaScript. It lags for seconds during scroll and the fans in my machines are screaming.

All the nice design elements of the old one are disappeared and "minimalism" took their place.

It seems, web2 ate Hall Of Light...

And a bugreport: the SVG image of '/images/homepage/button-arrow_purple.svg' declared in the CSS is 404.

Last edited by TCH; 18 July 2023 at 15:13.
Old 18 July 2023, 16:21   #18
McBloch

Hello,
what the hell did you do there????
This was the best Amiga site until yesterday.
You destroyed the page with the new look.
Please please undo this again or let the user choose which optics they want to use.
If it stays that way, I'll go to https://www.lemonamiga.com/
exchange.
Sorry, but that was a dip in the toilet.
Old 18 July 2023, 16:34   #19
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBloch View Post
Hello,
what the hell did you do there????
This was the best Amiga site until yesterday.
You destroyed the page with the new look.
Please please undo this again or let the user choose which optics they want to use.
If it stays that way, I'll go to https://www.lemonamiga.com/
exchange.
Sorry, but that was a dip in the toilet.
Damn and I mistakenly thought that everyone came to the HOL for the content and not the early 2000s web interface!
Old 18 July 2023, 19:51   #20
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

You can now still access old HOL here:

https://oldhol.abime.net [note: no longer updated]

I'll create a legacy skin for the new website and improve the new site with smaller fonts, better layout on game pages etc.