English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 October 2018, 16:31   #21
project23
Used Register

Come on guys, it's the adventure classics!

Monkey Island 1/2 being up at the top of the list of course.

Nobody makes those anymore. They're first on my list once I get an accelerated Amiga running.

Oh! And 'it came from the desert' - which kinda-sorta fits with the above?

John
Old 17 October 2018, 16:47   #22
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
I thought that too, but then I had to admit that it doesn't quite fulfil this requirement "really couldn't be improved upon even if it ran on the fastest gaming computer today."

I love Settlers still, and we play it occasionally with two players, but its graphics is quite crude for your eyes today. It takes a while to adjust you to the rough pixels and in two player mode the view is very limited. Some higher resolution version would do miracles with that...
Possibly.. but I've seen later versions of The Settlers with improved graphics and I didn't like them at all.
Old 17 October 2018, 18:12   #23
Hewitson

Turrican Trilogy
Pinball Fantasies/Illusions/Slam Tilt
Old 17 October 2018, 19:51   #24
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
Possibly.. but I've seen later versions of The Settlers with improved graphics and I didn't like them at all.
I haven't tried those, but I remember hearing that they were different in other ways too...
Old 17 October 2018, 20:32   #25
spiff
Oh noes!

I vote for lemmings, but...

Remove the nostalgia factor and no old enough game can cut it. Otherwise this list (or steam) would be full of TRS-80/C64/Atari lynx... "timless" games
IK+ was outstanding on the C64, good on the amiga and a joke compared to Street fighter 2 arcade.

Ever noticed how most "timless" re-releases tend to fit into the category "ppl with disposable income that were around 13-20 yo when they were originally released"?

Don't get me wrong, I still love em, but time waits for no game.

*loong re-edit.. sorry desiv*

Last edited by spiff; 17 October 2018 at 20:50. Reason: Better examples
Old 17 October 2018, 20:42   #26
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Remove the nostalgia factor and no old enough game can cut it.
I disagree..
A fun game is a fun game.
Even if the graphics aren't "current," it's about whether or not I am enjoying myself.
Arcade MsPacMan is STILL one of my favorite games to play. No nostalgia. Just fun pick up (well, it's on the arcade machine, so not really pick up) and play.
At no time when I am playing it do I think "Man, that looks blocky.."
Yes, I suppose you could enhance the graphics and sound, but I don't think that would improve that game. It's just fun.

Now, some games I think don't generally hold up as well...
For me, I seem to be finding RPGs fit into that category. I just have not been able to get back into (or just into for ones I hadn't played) RPGs and I used to LOVE those.
But for action or puzzle games, fun is fun... ;-)
IMHO
Old 17 October 2018, 20:56   #27
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
I disagree..
Arcade MsPacMan is STILL one of my favorite games to play. No nostalgia. Just fun pick up (well, it's on the arcade machine, so not really pick up) and play.
I can't argue your fun factor (nor do I doubt it)

With that said most later pacman releases are better (IMO). Pacmaina is nicer, VS pac man is waay more fun and DX is all of the original improved.
  • Why would anyone who has never played any version choose the original over the updated version?
  • If I have more fun with a later release, has the original really stood the test of time?

Last edited by spiff; 17 October 2018 at 21:01. Reason: I need to finish thinking before hitting post.. sorry again
Old 17 October 2018, 20:57   #28
rare_j
Zone Friend

Turrican II gets a regular play through, and should be appreciated by new eyes just as well as old.
Rick Dangerous (only enjoyable witn infinite lives)
The Settlers still looks and plays fresh to me.

There are lots of others to enjoy, but there may be a nostalgia tint; not so with the above three.

Bonus: Stunt car racer playing at it's max framerate (14fps i think) should still be acceptable.
Old 17 October 2018, 21:03   #29
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
I disagree..
A fun game is a fun game.
Even if the graphics aren't "current," it's about whether or not I am enjoying myself.
At no time when I am playing it do I think "Man, that looks blocky.."
Yes, I suppose you could enhance the graphics and sound, but I don't think that would improve that game. It's just fun.

Now, some games I think don't generally hold up as well...
For me, I seem to be finding RPGs fit into that category. I just have not been able to get back into (or just into for ones I hadn't played) RPGs and I used to LOVE those.
But for action or puzzle games, fun is fun... ;-)
IMHO
I have absolutely no nostalgia for The Settlers. I didn't even play it until 2003 or so. I have plenty of nostalgia for Shadow of the Beast, but I haven't played that in at least a decade. (I listen to the music occasionally though)
Old 17 October 2018, 21:06   #30
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Turrican II gets a regular play through, and should be appreciated by new eyes just as well as old.

Turrican II for me was marvel on C64. I was (and still I am) astonished how well it played on ol' 64, while on Amiga was far better, but still not best what Amiga could do, imho.
Old 17 October 2018, 21:11   #31
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Turrican II for me was marvel on C64. I was (and still I am) astonished how well it played on ol' 64, while on Amiga was far better, but still not best what Amiga could do, imho.
Perhaps it is not the best the amiga could do, but as an experience of visuals, music and gameplay it has stood the test of time I think. Enjoyment to fresh eyes today is the key here.
Old 17 October 2018, 21:16   #32
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
I have absolutely no nostalgia for The Settlers. I didn't even play it until 2003 or so.
Xcom 2, Starcraft, crusader kings, Europa universalis IV.. and amiga settlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
music and gameplay it has stood the test of time I think. Enjoyment to fresh eyes today is the key here.
I agree.. I'll think about it and see if anything pops up. Puzzle and 2p games comes to mind (hmmm.. lemmings

Last edited by spiff; 17 October 2018 at 21:22.
Old 17 October 2018, 21:16   #33
desiv

Quote:
Pacmaina is nicer
I do like that game, but it is a different game to me.
A scrolling screen Pacman is fine, but it is a different game.

There is something about the simplicity of the single screen versions.

Quote:
VS pac man is waay more fun and DX is all of the original improved.
Not familiar with VS Pacman or DX Pacman. What systems do they run on?

Quote:
  • Why would anyone who has never played any version choose the original over the updated version?
  • If I have more fun with a later release, has the original really stood the test of time?
Depends on whether or not the "updated" version changed ONLY the graphics/sound. It seems they tend to also change other things and that isn't always for the best.
I've played multiple newer versions of Tetris, but they tend to add / tweak gameplay in such a way that I haven't found a newer Tetris I like better than some of the original versions.
Also, some of the eye-candy they add (because they can I suppose) can be distracting. When I am playing something like Tetris, I don't want graphic trails coming off the blocks. Just blocks are fine. ;-)
As for, if you have more fun with the later release...
That is great. But, do you ALSO have fun with the original? If so, the new one is better, but the original has still stood the test of time. ;-)

I suppose it is kind of like saying a muscle car hasn't stood the test of time because a Tesla will go faster and give you a smoother ride.

Personally, I think both can be great. (Tho I drive electric.. Not a Tesla tho.)
Old 17 October 2018, 21:32   #34
spiff
Oh noes!

Slight OT, sorry folks
pacman vs = Pac-Man Battle Royale and DX is apparently named Pacman championship edition DX! Both are arcade boards later ported to consoles
Old 17 October 2018, 21:35   #35
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Dune II. I played some of its remakes and all were worse. And I am not talking about sequels, only remakes.

I even like its 'select one unit only' system.
Old 17 October 2018, 21:49   #36
desiv

Quote:
Slight OT, sorry folks
pacman vs = Pac-Man Battle Royale and DX is apparently named Pacman championship edition DX! Both are arcade boards later ported to consoles
Ah!! I've played those in the Arcade!
Perfect examples of games I do NOT think are better. ;-)
Well, IF you want multi-player, then those are great.
But if you want a good single player Pacman, those games add glowing, flashing, weird lines attached to your Pacman (which makes sense if you are in multiplayer) that I think not only don't help the single player game, but also distract and take away from it. IMHO
They are fine games.
But if I am wanting to play a single player game and they are side by side in the arcade, I choose the original. (Actually, I choose MsPacman, which I think did improve on the original without changing anything that made it great.)
I do think you can improve on an original.
I don't think a lot of attempts to do so are successful. ;-)
Old 17 October 2018, 21:53   #37
Nobby_UK

Still love:
Syndicate
Old 17 October 2018, 21:54   #38
mcgeezer

Hybris, Battle Squadron, Transplant, James Pond 2, Alien Breed to name a few of my favs.

Geezer
Old 17 October 2018, 22:28   #39
nobody

Datastorm, insanely addictive Defender clone, insane amount of stuff moving on screen, probably the best defender ever (could argue with dropzone C64). It's one of the few Amiga games you would wait in the line to play if it was a coin op.

Last edited by nobody; 19 October 2018 at 15:13.
Old 17 October 2018, 22:32   #40
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Bubble Bobble.