Old 11 September 2013, 14:21   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Delfina beeping in background

Hi:

The other day I read this post of Jens:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Delfina drivers are stable, and they're even open-source. Last bug removed was quite a few years ago - everything else was/is hardware-related. If you feel your card is not stable, add some good ground connection. It's a day-and-night difference in stability.

Jens
But I've been reading another thread from 2005 in another forum: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17580 -I take the name for this thread from there in consideration-.

They talk also about ground to be a problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarX View Post
Hi, hello to ALL.

Yes i can appreciate this fine "PIIIIIIIII" :-(

I investigate this long time ago and i suspect for an
return of ground.

In my A4K this "beep" mute off when i disconect the two
RCA that came from the AMIGA output, for bypass and mix the
paula sound.

If ONLY delfina output is conected to the amplifier the
sound is nice clean, but the "beep" return if i connect
the round of RCA input of the delfina with some metal
surface of the A4K include the ROUND of RCA AMIGA AUDIO.

For THIS i suspect this problem is GROUND related.

Jose.
But also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga4001 View Post
Hmmm I disconnected every input from the delfina including the A4000 internal lead.
Still there is the sound in the background.
Only thing that makes it go away is to set the volumelevel in the delfinaprefs to half the volume then with nothing playing there is no backgroundsound.
But when you start a mp3 it still is hearable.
I have connected the internal connection of the delfina with a short wire to RCA plugs which are mounted in the tower.
But they resides in plastic as far as I can see so no ground touching there with the tower.
Btw it is no low noise but a very high note.

I'm using the internal output with two rca connectors (grounded to the shielding of the miggy) to the Hi-Fi and I have the background sound. Today I've connected a cable from the ground of the two rca outputs of the Delfina card to the Amiga mobo... and still have background noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga4001 View Post
Well I got sick of the peeping so I installed the delfina with the buddha in an other A4000.
No luck no go I switched all electrial equipment in direct surrounding no luck.
I put a wire from the ground off the RCA jacks of the delfina to the ground off the amiga peeping got extremely worse so that is allright I gues.
Then I tried an other clockport adapter an ISDN card from individual computers and yes peeping is totally gone!!
It seems the buddha is causing some small kind of grounding from the amiga to the delfina or it is causing some kind of magnetic field interfering?
I wonder if the problem can be with DJBase's Clockport expander giving some ground problem only with the Delfina.

Has anybody a delfina working without that beeping? If so, how?

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 September 2013 at 00:04.
Old 11 September 2013, 15:24   #2
voyager
The show must go on.

Send a message via MSN to voyager
I have soldered 2 fat ground wires on the delfina (the digital part of the card) and I can confirm that it works way more stable. The high pitched sound is very faint in the background but clearly noticeable.

I am waiting for almost 2 months for my clockport expander, so I cannot test it, but AFSIK port 0 on the expander is a 1 on 1 connection with the original clockport.

I use aux1 for the native paula input so the analogue ground is connected true there.
Old 11 September 2013, 23:28   #3
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

The thing is that it seems stable. The problem is the background noise. Well these problems are with OS4.1, as I use the Delfina with my BPPC amiga, and if things haven't changed, the delfina wasn't supported, although I had sometimes good sound with it:

[ Show youtube player ]

Later I cutted that cable of the video that was making the noise appear deppending where I was moving it -I can't listen it in the video though-. I had it to connect the delfina to the Dvd player.

Tomorrow I will try to run my AmiKit for BPPC version with it, although now I don't find -links don't work- the delfina.library version 4.16 that I was using (can take it from my 4.1 install), but I will try with the latest from IC web and also the latest AHI software.

It can be a software problem too. I don't seem to have noise if I use the player of Delfina (now I don't remember the name, DelfFX or something). BTW: I don't know where I've got the floppy with the drivers. There -in the floppy I believe- was that player, but in IC web I only see the delfina.library. Where can I get the player? Edit: Found the floppies.

Last edited by Retrofan; 13 September 2013 at 00:23.
Old 11 September 2013, 23:42   #4
emufan

individual computers got a beta 4.17 delfina.library . 4.15 and 4.16 on amiga.resource.cx.
Old 11 September 2013, 23:51   #5
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks. I will try 4.16 and the latest. Do you have that background noise?

Edit: I don't seem to have any noise in my new install with 4.17 from IC web. It must be a problem with OS4.1 or any of his libraries.

[ Show youtube player ]

But trying with mp3's it hanged.

Edit: Also it's extrange that I can not play aiff with AmigaAMP, and I've installed sndfile.library. Perhaps some conflict with mpega.library like here? http://www.amigaamp.de/board/viewtop...daf0b7683fa3a8
I must see if the the delfina floppy installer has another older mpega.library and try with it.

Last edited by Retrofan; 14 September 2013 at 12:57.
Old 13 September 2013, 23:09   #6
emufan

i dont have such hardware, just found the libs