English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 03 October 2018, 14:21   #1
Glen M

A500 keyboard to raspberry pi

I've been working on a wee project in the background for a while on and off. Mostly in my head for now but one thing I'm coming up against is that I need to connect an A500 keyboard to a or more accurately 2 raspberry pi's.

If I get one of those A500 to USB boards will that work on the PI? I think i can just use a simple usb switch for connecting to the 2 pi's, don't need to control them at the same time but before I go splashing out money on a USB adapter for the keyboard will it work?
Old 03 October 2018, 14:41   #2
deimos
It's coming back!

There are also lots of open source projects based around arduino boards that will so this. I built one using a Teensy 2.0 to convert a 1000 keyboard to USB.

The most likely issue I can think of is whether the Pi USB port can supply enough current for the interface board + the A500 keyboard.
Old 03 October 2018, 15:41   #3
Glen M

I was considering powering the keyboard separately and just cut those power lines in the USB cable.

Since I want to connect it to 2 Pi's i thought it would be better to switch the data lines only rather than also switch the power each time I change over.

Arduino might be the cheaper option but I'm a complete newb when it comes to those things. More research is required I thinks.
Old 03 October 2018, 17:00   #4
deimos
It's coming back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
Since I want to connect it to 2 Pi's i thought it would be better to switch the data lines only rather than also switch the power each time I change over.
A Teensy per Pi maybe? Connect them together and have the software decide whether to send the HID events to the connected computer or to the other Teensy?
Old 13 October 2018, 04:20   #5
project23
Used Register

I don't mean to hijack a thread here - but does anybody have any info on lag?

I wanted a similar sort of project at one point... basically an arduino catching the keypresses and sending them either to a USB module or the Amiga based on a switch - so I could have the amiga on my main desk and switch it between keyboard and actual machine.

The thing that bothered me was input lag, and i meant to try to work out some calculations but never did.

Would be cool though, right? Could even have the same switch handle the feed to your monitor!
Old 13 October 2018, 16:38   #6
deimos
It's coming back!

I know that many of the open source projects incorrectly use milliseconds instead of microseconds for the amount of time to hold the KDAT line low for when acknowledging a keystroke. This causes a noticeable delay. With that done correctly I never noticed any input lag on my Teensy based project. But I’m not a gamer, so maybe I wouldn’t notice.
Old 13 October 2018, 20:23   #7
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by deimos View Post
I know that many of the open source projects incorrectly use milliseconds instead of microseconds for the amount of time to hold the KDAT line low for when acknowledging a keystroke. This causes a noticeable delay. With that done correctly I never noticed any input lag on my Teensy based project. But I’m not a gamer, so maybe I wouldn’t notice.
Thanks for that dude, i'm not really a gamer either (except on the Amiga but even that is only occasionally!), but i'm envisioning a sort of 'pass-through' switch of some sort so the Amiga side would be standard. You could even have both selected at the same time I guess, in the absolutely 100% never going to arise need that you would want to type the same text to the Amiga as you do the PC.

...Legitimately, that is, haha - but who is using an Amiga for sensitive information in 2018 anyway.

John
Old 14 October 2018, 00:59   #8
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I've been working on a wee project in the background for a while on and off. Mostly in my head for now but one thing I'm coming up against is that I need to connect an A500 keyboard to a or more accurately 2 raspberry pi's.

If I get one of those A500 to USB boards will that work on the PI? I think i can just use a simple usb switch for connecting to the 2 pi's, don't need to control them at the same time but before I go splashing out money on a USB adapter for the keyboard will it work?
mabbe this will help ?

http://www.kipper2k.com/cherrymx/cherrymx.html
Old 14 October 2018, 02:34   #9
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
(This is completely irrelevant but oh my god do I love those yellow keycaps on the A1200 in the video on that page. I have a thing for selectively coloured keycaps like that - you know like on the acorn Archimedes etc? Anyway... back to the thread)