English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 28 October 2012, 17:32   #1
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

FS-UAE <= 2.9.x development series

This is the main discussion thread for the FS-UAE development series. I will *probably* attach "dev" to all version numbers in the development series just to clarify that it is a development version.

Download the development version here http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/download-devel

If you use the development versions, subscribing to this thread is a good idea, so you'll get information about updates (and can see discussions about issues with the dev versions).

The following is the original post kicking of this development thread. Look instead towards the end of the the thread for updated / recent discussions

FS-UAE 2.1.0dev[/B] http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/download-devel

- Merged updated emulation core from WinUAE 2.5.0beta21.
- FS-UAE mman updated to work more like the WinUAE implementation.
- Ejecting CD images works now, enabled menu option.
- Added auto-fire toggle mechanism to F12 menu.
- Auto-fire support, new boolean options joystick_port_x_autofire.
- Added support for Amiga mouse wheel and middle mouse button.
- (Launcher) Added button to configure auto-fire per joystick port.

This version implements some nice and requested features Emulation core is updated from the latest available code from Toni Wilen, with some nice emulation accuracy improvements!

Because of the code merge, and because the mman module has been rewritten, there is a greater chance than usual that something does not work. -But it looks good in my tests.

To get a mman behavior which mirrors the WinUAE code more closely, malloc is used to "reserve" memory on non-Windows platforms, and this relies on over-commit features in the Linux/Mac kernels where the memory is not actually allocated before the pages are accessed (not tested on FreeBSD yet). This is a bit experimental, so let me know if it crashes

EDIT: Well, it was the latest WinUAE code available for a few minutes...

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 13 December 2013 at 21:33.
Old 28 October 2012, 17:54   #2
nexusle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
- Ejecting CD images works now, enabled menu option.
Hi Frode,

this works to 50 %

If I insert the image of the AmigaOS 3.9 CDROM and eject this Disc, the backdroped folder "Emergency-Boot" stay on top of Workbench...
Old 28 October 2012, 20:31   #3
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul

yes !!
Old 28 October 2012, 22:13   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
Hi Frode,

this works to 50 %

If I insert the image of the AmigaOS 3.9 CDROM and eject this Disc, the backdroped folder "Emergency-Boot" stay on top of Workbench...
Can you post a screenshot of how it looks when you have ejected the CD, and then close down FS-UAE and also attach the log file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
yes !!
Mouse wheel / scrolling works fine, but middle mouse button also releases the input grab, which makes it a bit akward to actually use the middle mouse button -Is using the middle mouse button useful? if so, an option to disable middle mouse grab/ungrab behavior is also needed.
Old 29 October 2012, 05:47   #5
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Thanks for releasing this emulator, and making it Mac compatible. I will be switching to Mac, and if I can't get WinUAE to work (through VMWare Fusion), it would be my main program I'll use.
Old 30 October 2012, 00:57   #6
bcripon

Quote:
Originally Posted by B14ck W01f View Post
Thanks for releasing this emulator, and making it Mac compatible. I will be switching to Mac, and if I can't get WinUAE to work (through VMWare Fusion), it would be my main program I'll use.
If you decide to get a Mac, I am betting you will find the WinUAE performance in VMWare Fusion to be unsatisfying. First of all, Fusion (like Parallels and the rest) creates a virtual video card that is pretty wimpy. It is fine for running applications like Office, but I found the video performance on my 2011 iMac to be pretty bad when running WinUAE on Fusion. Megaball 4 was particularly hard to play when the video appeared to stutter.

WinUAE (actually, I ran Amiga Forever 2012) runs better under Wine. However, I still had to mess with it a bit and run it in a virtual desktop to get rid of some screen redraw problems. It was usable though.

I just find FS-UAE to be the best way to run Amiga software on your Mac. It can take full advantage of the Mac's video card (like Wine does) and it acts like a real Mac application. Frode has also done a nice job of documenting FS-UAE.

Bob C

Last edited by bcripon; 30 October 2012 at 02:44.
Old 30 October 2012, 22:27   #7
ransom1122

Thanks Frode,

have joined the thread, and will continue to use the dev version
Old 31 October 2012, 13:35   #8
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Frode : Android version please! :-)
Old 31 October 2012, 23:20   #9
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

FS-UAE 2.1.1dev http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/download-devel
  • Merged updated emulation core from WinUAE 2.5.0beta23.
  • Gamepad button “left trigger” toggles auto-fire, GUI message is displayed when auto-fire mode is toggled.
  • New option hard_drive_x_file_system to specify file system handler, for instance path to SmartFilesystem.
  • New option hard_drive_x_controller to specify HD controller.
  • New option hard_drive_x_type to force RDB mode if RDB cannot be autodetected (unpartitioned/blank disk image).
  • (Launcher) hard_drive_x can be http(s) URL and the HD will be downloaded on demand and used like a local file. URL must end with a “normal file name”.
  • (Launcher) Use wxversion.select to ensure 2.8 is used if also older versions of wxPython are installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spajdr View Post
Frode : Android version please! :-)
It is time to add "Will FS-UAE be ported to ... ?" to the FAQ -Here is the FAQ entry:

I have received several questions regarding whether I will port FS-UAE to other systems, such as:
  • Android
  • iOS
  • AROS / MorphOs / AmigaOS
  • Windows RT (Microsoft Surface)
  • Pandora
I am sure porting to many of these systems could be an interesting challenge, but in the end, it comes down to this: I can choose to spend (much) time on such ports, or I can spend time improving FS-UAE for the already supported platforms (Windows, OS X, Linux and FreeBSD). I have many features I still want to implemented, so I think my time is better spent improving FS-UAE and developing related software.

But because I have Android devices myself, and will likely continue to use Android in years to come, a future Android port is not unlikely

I am not interested in developing FS-UAE for closed systems such as iOS and Windows RT, where the only way to install software is via the official application store, and where Apple and Microsoft, respectively, unilaterally decides whether to allow software distribution or not.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to update download links on http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/download-devel -is fixed now.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 31 October 2012 at 23:41. Reason: Fixed download links
Old 01 November 2012, 08:45   #10
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Thanks Frode, good to know that Android have the chance to be released soon or later :-)
Old 01 November 2012, 09:31   #11
Thomas Magnum

Hey Frode,

i get an FS-UAE Launcher error request after 2.1.1dev install when starting up the launcher - find the log attached.

Best,
Thomas
Attached Files
File Type: zip launcher.log.zip (23.4 KB, 789 views)
Old 01 November 2012, 10:04   #12
Onaryc

Hi,

I remember there were a wanted feature thread but i can't find it so i post my wish list here :
* when one load a HD file i think it would be nice to have the WHDLoad argument field automatically fill with the *.slave file.
* The launcher is perfect to configure things but i think it would be great if all those configurations can be access in the in-ui menu (something like wiiflow would be awsome, using your data base).

Thanks again for FS-UAE

Old 01 November 2012, 19:52   #13
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Magnum View Post
Hey Frode,

i get an FS-UAE Launcher error request after 2.1.1dev install when starting up the launcher - find the log attached.

Best, Thomas
Hi, the 2.1.1dev wxversion fix messed up the Windows and Mac distributions of FS-UAE Launcher . I put out a 2.1.1dev2 update on the download-devel page, as soon as I was aware of the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onaryc View Post
Hi, I remember there were a wanted feature thread but i can't find it so i post my wish list here :
* when one load a HD file i think it would be nice to have the WHDLoad argument field automatically fill with the *.slave file.
I am planning to implement this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onaryc View Post
* The launcher is perfect to configure things but i think it would be great if all those configurations can be access in the in-ui menu (something like wiiflow would be awsome, using your data base).
Thanks again for FS-UAE
There will be a full-screen cover browser / game browser controllable with gamepads, with a similar style to the FS-UAE UI, but it might be realized through a separate program for practical reasons I usually refer to this picture. It's not vaporware, but it's not ready for public distribution either.
Old 02 November 2012, 08:40   #14
Onaryc

Just Great!!! Winuae is one of the best emulator out there but i always though that the interface was not user friendly enough when you just want to play games.

Old 02 November 2012, 18:34   #15
nexusle
Banned

Quote:
[*]New option hard_drive_x_controller to specify HD controller.
Have tested this...

If I use

Code:
hard_drive_0_controller = ide
the device is still uaehf.device and not scsi.device

RDB harddisks works now perfectly!
Old 02 November 2012, 19:55   #16
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Have tested this... If I use hard_drive_0_controller = ide the device is still uaehf.device and not scsi.device RDB harddisks works now perfectly!
That's because it should be:
Code:
hard_drive_0_controller = ide0
(or ide1, ide2, ...)

RDB hard drive images work automatically out of the box, no special configuration needed.

(An exception is when the RDB image isn't partitioned yet. It is not yet an RDB image, missing the RDSK header, and FS-UAE will assume it is an partition image instead. It is in this case that the option hard_drive_0_type = rdb is useful).

To repeat Toni's warning for other readers here, don't use hard_drive_0_controller = ide0 unless you know what you're doing! You normally won't need to use it.
Old 02 November 2012, 20:30   #17
nexusle
Banned

Quote:
RDB hard drive images work automatically out of the box, no special configuration needed.
But not, if I create a file with the Mac OS X Hard Disk Tool before . This I had tested :P
Old 02 November 2012, 21:06   #18
waal

Quote:
But not, if I create a file with the Mac OS X Hard Disk Tool before . This I had tested :P
What's this ? An app ?
Sorry if I go slightly off-topic but how can I create an HDF on Mac OS X ?
Old 02 November 2012, 22:15   #19
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waal View Post
What's this ? An app ?
Sorry if I go slightly off-topic but how can I create an HDF on Mac OS X ?
Yes, slighly off topic, but hey.. try something like this (should work of Linux, OS X and other Unices):
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=test.hdf bs=1024 count=32768
This will create a 32 MB file with all zero bytes. Set count to 262144 (1024*256) for a 256 MB file, etc.
Old 02 November 2012, 22:18   #20
Speedvicio

frode this is the error message for me in fs-uae last dev on linux mint

Quote:
preinit_shm
- VirtualAlloc 0x57f00000 537919488 2105344 4
MEM_RESERVE
init_shm
doinit_shm
cache_alloc size = 4096
- VirtualAlloc (nil) 4096 4096 64
MEM_COMMIT
Errore di segmentazione

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 02 November 2012 at 23:45. Reason: removed some log lines