English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 September 2006, 11:26   #1
Crown
Demoscener

pirated sofware on DVD

I just wanted to point out the website of: http://www.amigagames.co.uk/

that guy is selling pirated software on DVDs. He's even in campaign on adwords (google).

I really blame people making money out of pirated software!

that's lame (as we used to say).
Old 21 September 2006, 13:20   #2
sniperchaz
Zone Friend

Eitherway its a rip off if you spend just a few hours surffin you,ll nearly if not all the games in the PD or private sites for free download anyway i know iv got 4000+ on ADF and all thats cost me is the time to look and download also some of the games cannot be played straight away on a pc (without a joystick ) plus some only work on a real amiga becouse of the keyboard layout to execute the file to run is different lol then all you need to do is transfer the ADF,s to youre AMIGA (this is the slow bit) and have plenty of blank Disks and use TRANS ADF-GUI (works better than ADF2DISK )to convert back to Amiga Disks saving you loads of money that could be used to upgrade your miggy
Old 21 September 2006, 13:57   #3
aldo

Theres people selling similar sorts of things on ebay
Old 21 September 2006, 14:35   #4
Ultron
Something

It's not pirated. To be pirated it'd needed to be happening 15 years ago.

Why people buy them is the real issue. Heck, you can get it for free. Which i'm guessing is why less tech savy people may buy them. Since they can't find them easily on the web once horrid violators of abandoned decades old software copyrights are quickly smitten by the holy crusaders of the Order of Cloanto.

For some people, i guess it pays to pay and forget the hassle of finding them. It's sad, but true.
Old 21 September 2006, 15:33   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

These people are a huge drop ship company. They sell their DVD-R disks to 10's of people in the UK who then try to flog em on ebay. They are Ex-Amiga shop people and have contacts with amongst others Forematt computing.

I reported them to Codemasters last year who did something, but they just Pheonixed under a different name
Old 22 September 2006, 00:57   #6
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Why is it that CD-R's called Amiga Gold/Arcade Classix/Flashrom/Emulators Unlimited/Giana Trilogy etc etc can continue to be sold on the net and Ebay without any of you guys batting an eyelid, yet there is uproar when one chap advertises single cracked games for sale on Ebay? (as per other current thread).

I know this/these 'Classix' sellers have been active for some time and are maybe old skool (maybe they're your EAB buddies), but I fail to understand the double standards shown from certain members.

Ok to sell CDs with hundreds of game images and roms?, but feeling the need to persecute an individual who chooses to sell singular games is just daft; although I understand that he was quite selective in not stating the games were copies.

Why was it acceptable to pay £2 a disk at the car boot in the early 90's, yet not accpetable now that all pirated games are freely downloadable?

My post is not to upset anybody, nor get anyone into trouble, but just to a provoke your thoughts on this matter.
Old 22 September 2006, 09:53   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The problem with these people is that they have made a lot of money. And as such they are prepared to protect their investment.

I phoned up their ISP last year and said that they were selling copyrighted material. Their websites came down for about an hour or so and then I got a phone call back saying that their solicitor had been on the phone saying they had rights to all these games and I had to provide copyright documentation or it was going back up. I said to the ISP, have you seen these "rights"? And they said "Erm, no. But we've not seen anyone elses either and they were our customer first."

I phoned several of the companies who were still alive (codemasters etc.) and they basically told me "Piracy you say? Thanks for bringing this to our attention. What platform? Amiga? 1991 you say? Goodbye"

In desparation I even called FAST (federation against software theft) and they again told me there hands were tied unless one of the companies, with written proof of copyright ownership, got in touch there was nothing they could do.

AmigaGames / Butterfly Media (what ever you want to call them) is "above the law" in this area until someone with some time and money and more importantly documentation and a lawyer/solicitor can go after them.

If you want to send them some hate mail, they stoopidly used their real name and address in Swindon for one of their earliest Domain Name registrations

Quote:
Why was it acceptable to pay £2 a disk at the car boot in the early 90's
I dont know what it was like in your area, but in our "scene" it was never acceptable to pay anything (except postage and media costs). It was ok for no-one to benefit financially, or the authors/publishers to benefit, but never the traders. "Share and Enjoy".

Last edited by alexh; 22 September 2006 at 10:03.
Old 22 September 2006, 09:59   #8
Crown
Demoscener

It is one thing to download for free these material (which is also illegal of course) and another to actually make money with it.

Same goes for people that make profit over amiga demos, mods cds/dvds.
Old 25 October 2006, 01:39   #9
Kurtz
No right to judge him.

Just bringing to your attention that thes guys seem to follow some sort of removal policy eg. Thalion games do not belong. See here:

http://www.amigagames.co.uk/GamesINDEX.htm

I suppose they were solicited to do so, but does that help their cause?
Old 25 October 2006, 12:51   #10
DamienD
Banned

Yeah I see the new statement saying:

"This compilation contains no games from APC&TCP or Thalion."

i.e. AndreaM's company and alexh's website.

Good work guys, I wonder how the rest can be stopped? Probably very difficult as explained in one of alexh's posts
Old 25 October 2006, 13:10   #11
Kurtz
No right to judge him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Good work guys, I wonder how the rest can be stopped? Probably very difficult as explained in one of alexh's posts
Right... at least they made it, eventually. But I sense few other publishers would be concerned, as alexh put it with regard to Codemasters. Okay, maybe they won't put up a fight and all the legal mumbo jumbo to prevent Advanced Ski Simulator (or other titles they shouldn't be very proud of) from appearing, whilst dealing with the TOCA 3 sale figures or who knows what.

What about Ubisoft or Infogrames/Atari? Won't the presence of BAT or North & South touch them at all?
Old 25 October 2006, 13:16   #12
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Maybe the other way to approach it is something like this...

Send an email to Infogrames/Codemasters etc saying "I am selling some of your old games on a DVD compilation on EBay. I assume this is OK with you, please let me know if it is not. This is just a courtesy message" and put a link to the EBay auctions.

And let Codemasters etc go to EBay complaining about the auctions if they so desire. EBay would take more action if contacted from a big publisher than you would ever get!
Old 25 October 2006, 13:46   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

They have A320 Airbus which was, last time I looked, a Thalion game.

Ok, so the rights are owned by Flightmedia but hey.

Codemasters did do some work to get rid of them, but nothing happened
Old 25 October 2006, 22:28   #14
pbareges

i understand all of your principles guys...but for nostalgic guys like us, such compilations do have value and they give us the ability to save time and money in collecting all of their contents on the web. if original copyrights owners do not bother, why should you? if you have enough bandwith and time to download the same through torrents ... fine! but if someone prefers to pay for the DVD instead of suscribing to high speed internet, that's at least as fair...

so i think this DVD has some inherent value other than the copyrights, considering the time it took to collect all its contents and i don't see why the sellers should be prosecuted!!
Old 26 October 2006, 00:14   #15
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

This wanker is charging $100 or $200 for other peoples work. It's not like he's selling them for the price of media + postage, that's a lot of money per sale (assuming there are idiots around are buying those discs for that kind of money)
Old 26 October 2006, 01:07   #16
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

As Codetapper suggests, but also put in there that everyone is loving getting Sensible World of Soccer for next to nothing.

Its Codemasters next big release on PS2/Xbox so that would encourage them to get it gone
Old 17 November 2006, 07:20   #17
MazinA

Even Better, someone get the DVD, decline the creditcard payment, torrent it, keep it seeded, then everyone gets it free!

Old 17 November 2006, 13:14   #18
crashbone

I have a better idea: simply get that fucker overflooded with spam.

I have found two email addresses which we should spread over the internet (forums, websites, etc.) so that the spambots get to register it.

Shouldn't take too long before his mail box gets crammed!

sales@home-arcade.co.uk

sales.amiga@eqwik.com

Old 17 November 2006, 14:14   #19
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Putting someone elses email address without his permission isn't a polite way of doing things. Also suggesting mail bombing to an account is a punishable action.
I simply don't know why all this fuss, ah.. oh.. this is AMIGA scene , ok understand.

P.D: Just look at the speccy scene and you will know what i mean.
Old 17 November 2006, 20:27   #20
Photon

Codetapper's idea is good. This is clearly wrong.
eBay would be quicker to respond. The game companies wouldn't care. Maybe Jeff Minter though. He's a man of principles.

Another way to attack them:
It says the compilations run the games on PC, so some emulator is probably included.

I don't know what the agreement coming with f.ex. WinUAE says, but if it says "for free distribution but not allowed to be sold for profit" as almost all "freeware" does, Toni would have a valid case for a law suit.

Yet another way would be to provide the same service for less money and make part of the money go to Amiga projects. Are the TOSEC guys interested?