English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 April 2018, 18:12   #121
DamienD
Banned

Sorry Starglider 2, I totally agree with Akira

In future, please do not be adding the following to all your posts in various threads:
Quote:
Your friend in retro,
Chris aka ԹҽɾíƒɾɑϲԵíϲ
http://youtube.com/perifractic
Instead, put this in your signature where people can decide for themselves to see these or not...

As has already been pointed out, please read Rules & Help --> Signature (direct signatures are not allowed).

Personally, I switch signatures off as I find them hugely distracting and don't want to see them with every single post...
Old 26 April 2018, 18:22   #122
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Yes, it is.
Read the rules.
Ok dude. As I said apologies for any misunderstanding. Next time I'll mention the website I'm referring to higher up than the bottom line of the message. Have a lovely day.
Old 26 April 2018, 19:19   #123
Amiga1992

Ugh this is the last I write about this, mods feel free to erase these messages after the conversation seems done, if ever, because this is too OT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglider 2
Next time I'll mention the website I'm referring to higher up than the bottom line of the message.
You totally missed the point.

All you had to do is write something like "I want to feature it in my youtube channel" and that's it, IF ANYONE is interested, they can ask, look at your profile, or search EAB (why you have your own thread). By this point everyone here already probably knows you run a YT channel anyway because your insistence on linking to it at any possible chance.

What did you do?
Quote:
Please kindly advise.

Your friend in retro,
Chris aka ԹҽɾíƒɾɑϲԵíϲ
How is that not spammy? You don't even mention anything related to wanting to do a piece about this anywhere after a -third- message, where you wrote the same spammy information again. We, sadly, READ your spam the first time, dude.
And now you edited that third message to read:
Quote:
Gotcha. I'd be interested in making a Retro Recipes video about it all when the time is right:

You are again for the second time in the same thread pointing to your YouTube channel. How is that not spam??

You don't need to shove your site down everyone's throat every time a topic somewhat related to your channel's interest pops up so you can hope to drive traffic to it. That's what's spam.

I hope you understand our angle here. You've been here long enough to 1) respect EAB rules and its community and 2) make yourself known to have a YouTube channel, so you don't need to mention it ever again outisde your own thread/topic unless very specifically warranted.
Old 26 April 2018, 19:26   #124
Starglider 2

Berating a nice guy who makes Commodore videos and keeps the Amiga in the public consciousness doesn't seem very kind but I got your point because you insist it repeating it with unnecessarily angry phrasing. I keep trying to end the conversation but you seem obsessed with fighting someone who isn't fighting. This is a lovely community and I want to keep it that way.

When you asked me to keep all my videos in one thread what did I do? I did exactly that. I'm not sure what your problem is but it isn't me.

Good day.

(I won't reply further)
Old 26 April 2018, 22:45   #125
Leffmann

I've noticed that Akira has been carrying and grooming himself to get noticed and become the next global admin for a while now, in the hopes that DamienD will change his mind and resign like he was talking about a while back. I think that's what this is really about.

I like your videos a lot Starglider 2 and I think everyone here appreciates them as much as I do. Hopefully a little argument like this won't stop you from keeping us updated
Old 26 April 2018, 23:40   #126
Starglider 2

It's all good.
Old 26 April 2018, 23:55   #127
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I've noticed that Akira has been carrying and grooming himself to get noticed and become the next global admin for a while now, in the hopes that DamienD will change his mind and resign like he was talking about a while back. I think that's what this is really about.
That's sooooo not true Leffman.

If you must know, Akira was a Global Moderator many, many, many moons ago before I joined EAB but stepped down.

Recently before lilalurl and PortuguesePilot accepted, the position was offered to Akira but he declined as he knows how much work this role is from previous experience

Anyway people, enough of the off topic please and let's all move on.
Old 27 April 2018, 00:01   #128
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
@Starglider 2

What this 3.1.4 update exactly will cover I don't know, but odds are things will be fixed and updated in all of these segments and thus require a ROM update. Could you just use an updated Workbench loaded from disk but stick with the old ROM? Maybe. But many of the interesting updates such as robust >4GB disk support, 060 support etc. kinda require the changes in the ROM.
Yes, you are right, the update covers all three segments you describe:
Plenty of AmigaDOS components have been updated/bugfixed/enhanced/optimised.
Workbench has also received many fixes.
And the kickstart rom has quite a numerous list of rom modules that significantly changed for better.

As said numerous times on this and other forums by its developers: whilst at first sight to the untrained amiga eye, the update will resemble the look of a vintage 3.1 system, there is a lot that has been done under the hood, fixing all kinds of nasty bugs. Plus, there are a couple of new nice features that focus on performance and usability, that go way beyond what 3.1-3.9 did offer.

So dont expect any sort of eye candy or third party application program, but expect a more stable, better performing, and more usable core system than what 3.1-3.9 brought to the table.
Old 27 April 2018, 00:04   #129
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I've noticed that Akira has been carrying and grooming himself to get noticed and become the next global admin for a while now, in the hopes that DamienD will change his mind and resign like he was talking about a while back. I think that's what this is really about.[...]
Come on, guys, let's stay on topic and no free cutting remarks.

Edit: Seems I took to long to write my post... already two in the meantime
Old 27 April 2018, 02:50   #130
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Yes, you are right, the update covers all three segments you describe:
Plenty of AmigaDOS components have been updated/bugfixed/enhanced/optimised.
Workbench has also received many fixes.
And the kickstart rom has quite a numerous list of rom modules that significantly changed for better.

As said numerous times on this and other forums by its developers: whilst at first sight to the untrained amiga eye, the update will resemble the look of a vintage 3.1 system, there is a lot that has been done under the hood, fixing all kinds of nasty bugs. Plus, there are a couple of new nice features that focus on performance and usability, that go way beyond what 3.1-3.9 did offer.

So dont expect any sort of eye candy or third party application program, but expect a more stable, better performing, and more usable core system than what 3.1-3.9 brought to the table.
That's great and actually I want it to look the same. I specifically restored my teenage 50 floppy hard disk backup to the Vampire so I could have the original setup. I don't want it to look different but I don't mind if it works better!
Old 28 April 2018, 11:35   #131
kolla
Banned

I'm curious how it will play it in terms of compatibility with all the various hardware people have, especially since it has become apparent that the core developers don't have so much hardware themselves
Old 28 April 2018, 13:18   #132
apex

It is already running with an A2000 full of hardware, it is running on an A1200/060...
Old 28 April 2018, 13:41   #133
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex View Post
It is already running with an A2000 full of hardware, it is running on an A1200/060...
That doesn't really say much, there are a lot more exotic Amiga hardware around than those
Old 30 April 2018, 12:51   #134
kolla
Banned

This weekend I re-visited an old issue - the lack of an official "RequestString" in the OS, and various implementations on Aminet (often hidden away in obscure archives) all suck to various degrees. A more complete and official "C:Request#?" family of commands making use of ASL v45 would be most welcome.

Slightly related issue - Font prefs - I would love to set a different font (smaller size) for text and gadgets in requesters than for screen bar and window titles, the Font prefs should have more than just the three settings it currently has.
Old 30 April 2018, 16:05   #135
daxb

Thomas Rapp kindly wrote a better/more features RequestString replacement/complement that uses ReqTools. So no ASL but if you want to have look it also includes C source: https://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.p...60&postcount=8 If I remember right it can also replace RequestChoice.

Yes, OS3 is missing RequestString. Or at least its functionality. Maybe it is enough to enhance Request#?.

The requester (at least 3.1) are having a problem when the requester width is larger then the screen width.
Old 30 April 2018, 16:52   #136
kolla
Banned

Thanks, but I avoid reqtools, I even use RT2ASL patch

EDIT: well, turns out the RequestString I had landed on also uses reqtools.library, and Thomas Rapp's variant is actually much better. Thanks.
I do wish ASL could render reqtools.library obsolete though, it should.

Last edited by kolla; 30 April 2018 at 21:38.
Old 27 July 2018, 17:53   #137
Liqourice

I'd love to test this both on my A500 with VXL-30/RAM-32 and GVP HD8+ as well as my A4000/CSMkII-040/CV643D/MFC-III/Ariadne-II/Compserv scandoubler
Old 07 August 2018, 09:39   #138
tom256

Any update/progress in developing AOS 3.1.4?
Old 07 August 2018, 15:40   #139
gulliver
BoingBagged

The last two months have been a living hell for both testers and coders due to the sad state of the AmigaOS printing system: bugs were everywhere, drivers and printer.device, you name it!

The good thing is that now the printing system is getting really solid, much better in this aspect than all previous 68k OS incarnations.

BTW, if it wasnt mentioned before, we are feature frozen, which means that nothing else is being added. We are just cleaning the last bits and solving any bugs left. Which means testing, testing and yet even more testing.
Old 07 August 2018, 15:50   #140
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

@Gulliver: Love these little tidbits of information. Thank you very much.