English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Sprites

Old 05 July 2005, 12:44   #1
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Graphics Ripper 1.05 released

I know I put the link to this in another thread, but in case people didn't read it, here it is :

After some fiddling with palette searching, here is new release of GfxRip. Added are two new Palette search modes which rip the palette directly out of the WinUAE SaveState snapshot. It should work almost always to get the correct palette for the currently displayed graphics on the screen. Both AGA and ECS supported too (two different modes).

Grab it here :

http://retrospec.sgn.net/game-links.php?link=gfxrip
Old 05 July 2005, 14:37   #2
oldpx

Thank you.

Old 05 July 2005, 15:23   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

Fantastic..

Doesn't work with all games (xenonII is a classic example) but it is much much simpler for the majority of games

Great upgrade Tomcat
Old 05 July 2005, 16:28   #4
tomcat666
Retro Freak

You're welcome :-)
Old 05 July 2005, 18:10   #5
gifgit
Retarded and dribbling

NICE!!!!!
Old 05 July 2005, 19:26   #6
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
wonderful...
Old 05 July 2005, 23:08   #7
gifgit
Retarded and dribbling

Sometimes when `Z` then`L` is used the information at the top of the screen is lost. (not a critisism,more of a problem.)
Old 06 July 2005, 07:44   #8
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Yeah, thats because ALL winuae SaveStates have the AGA colour block in them (even if they are not AGA) - and all ECS games have those registers set to 000 ! So basically if you search for an AGA palette in an ECS game you will find a palette that is fully black Just press 'K' and it will revert back to the default palette...
Old 06 July 2005, 08:53   #9
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Here is an idea how you can perfectly rip all palettes from a multiscreen game.

Let us say we are ripping a high quality professional game that has a status panel at the bottom of the screen. A good coder can set up a copperlist so that the status panel uses a different palette than the rest of the game. Sometimes they just redefine a few colors. Other times its a completely different palette.

So all your program must do is disassemble the display copperlist and check if any colors are being defined > halfway down the screen. That will be the giveaway.

Then you simply peek those values to determine the palette of the other 'screen'. Easy huh?

The copper's instruction list is damned simple. It only has 2 instructions iirc (Wait and Move ) and the complete format of the instructions is clearly documented in the RKRM Hardware. The instructions are 16 bits wide.
Old 06 July 2005, 09:27   #10
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Hehe, yeah, I know this The palette search functions that were done before used to search for copper list with colour changes in them. I am aware of how to do this properly (as you described) but I am not sure if it is worth the hassle - i.e. now you can get most of the colours for current displayed picture. Implementation of searching for the copper list in the correct chunk in the savestate and then finding the colours, etc. seems just a bit too much, just to get those few palettes that you wouldn't otherwise. And chances are that those colours will be found with Simple or eXtended searches anyway. So I don't think I will bother with this
Old 14 July 2005, 14:08   #11
maVado

tomcat666, i would like to request three things if possible

- a way to open a new savestate within the application without the need to quit and restart

- instead of p for picture another shortcut that copies the content of the first frame into the clipboard so you don't need to save all the time and just do copy and paste to a spritesheet for example

-resize of the appication ?

any chance that you could find some time and add those three ?

thanks!

Last edited by maVado; 14 July 2005 at 14:15.
Old 16 July 2005, 21:10   #12
tomcat666
Retro Freak

The third would mean a MAJOR rewrite of the application using something else than allegro library (which doesn't know of any windows stuff) - so that won't happen.
The first one (open a new savestate) would be doable, with some medium changes in the code.... so I will put it on the to-do list.
The second one - copying the content of the first picture to the clipboard - is probably doable somehow with the windows API, but since I never did anything with the windows API apart from copy/pasting someone elses code into mine so that the window got centered on the monitor, I am not sure if it will be done. Will put it on the to-do list.

When the to-do list gets done ? No idea I work on this as time permits... if any1 wants to help with the windows-related stuff (like copying an allegro BITMAP to the clipboard) then it might speed things up ;-)
Old 16 July 2005, 22:20   #13
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Lightbulb Need ChunkyRip Capability

As long as you are accepting ideas

You should consider adding the ability to rip chunky gfx.

A friend of mine has been trying to rip Napalm and Exodus and not having any luck. Its his first try so maybe he just sucks.

But I figure the gfx in those games is all stored in chuncky 8-bit format and is c2p'ed to the screen as needed on AGA. or Straight copied to a gfx card which is very fast.

They may possibly even have 16-bit chunky versions of all gfx for high end Classic Amigas. I really don't know. Maybe someone out there knows?
Old 17 July 2005, 00:01   #14
gifgit
Retarded and dribbling

@strategygamer
Please upload uss save states of these games to the zone so that we can see if your mate does suck or if it is a gfx rip re-write.
Old 17 July 2005, 00:49   #15
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifgit
@strategygamer
Please upload uss save states of these games to the zone so that we can see if your mate does suck or if it is a gfx rip re-write.
I am sorry but I do not have Exodus.

I had Napalm on my old Amiga... not sure where it is now...

My friend has no net connection atm. I gave him the gfxripper on a floppy to put him to work doing something useful.

I believe I read in an old review or interview somewhere that they do store the gfx in chunky format. If I wrote those games that is how I would do it.
Old 17 July 2005, 03:04   #16
BippyM
Global Moderator

Get him to put the savestates on floppy or maybe a USB pendrive or something for you to upload
Old 17 July 2005, 21:09   #17
tomcat666
Retro Freak

I know there were only a few (you can probably count them on one hand, even if they cut a few fingers off ;-) ) games on amiga that used chunky graphics. And I am not sure if it would be worth the hassle to add that to the ripper, since it would mean major changes to the code, which is VERY bitplane based right now.