English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 May 2020, 01:35   #1
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Arrow EAB Leaderboard - Are you interested?

I enjoy a wide variety of games. Amiga naturally has that added element of nostalgia. So digging through the Amiga back catalogue to discover new games or learn new things about favourites or get a higher score and complete a few more games, is a lot of fun.

Even better, it's good to have a casual chat about all this with like-minded people and share some experiences.

If that sounds like something you'd like to do, then I've started a new games event called Leaderboard in our competitions section.

Every month there will be two games open for participation. You can either play one, play both, or just chat about it and give some tips or have a rant, whatever. There will be games where we compete for high scores and games where we simply try to beat them and uncover a few secrets.

We can play any Amiga game. Voted for by anyone that wants to take part.

For everyone that likes to keep track of their accomplishments, I've created a badge system that rewards you for your scores, achievements, and participation. This way you can play as much as you like and keep track of your progress over time.

The main aim is to keep everything simple and easy to join. Rules are kept to a minimum. Then see how it evolves over time. Hopefully we can create a fun atmosphere for people to regularly drop in and enjoy.

So if you have any interest at all it would be great to see you take part. That includes everyone from newbies to returning experts. I'd be grateful if you show a little support for the idea and come vote for the first games we will be playing in June.

Voting thread (ends on Thursday 28th May)
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=102333

Full info and rules thread (it's short)
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=102332

While I have your attention. I'm always open to suggestions. If there is something particular you think would be fun to do and would get involved with, let us know here. Plus any and all thoughts.
Old 22 May 2020, 05:05   #2
arcanist

Did you draw the badges first and then create an elaborate competition for an excuse to use them?

I like the simplicity of the rules. Nothing there I see to disagree with.
Old 22 May 2020, 14:14   #3
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanist View Post
Did you draw the badges first and then create an elaborate competition for an excuse to use them?

I like the simplicity of the rules. Nothing there I see to disagree with.
You are the perfect person to respond to this. I recall in a feedback thread you said that these events can become a balancing act between competition and something more like a book club. That was part of the inspiration behind the design. That's why we have the badge system. It was the best way I could think of to get it working.

About the badges. I've been a very naughty boy. I did not draw all of them. The gems and fruit are from Qwak. So is the joystick but I re-coloured it. The sword is from Eye of the Beholder II with a couple of extra pixels. The crown is from Superfrog. The star is all mine, as far as a pixel star can be.

Last edited by Biscuit; 22 May 2020 at 14:23.
Old 23 May 2020, 03:24   #4
arcanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
You are the perfect person to respond to this. I recall in a feedback thread you said that these events can become a balancing act between competition and something more like a book club. That was part of the inspiration behind the design. That's why we have the badge system. It was the best way I could think of to get it working.
I'm easily won over with collectibles. There's a good spread from 1st-7th so lots of players have a chance, and a participation trophy if you miss out.

Looking forward to being able to play some "non-scorable" games. There's plenty in the Lemon database that I liked the look of, but glossed over for the superleague because scoring was problematic or non-existent. Like, how do you score Midwinter? It's a great game but I'd feel bad voting for it and letting the league mods figure out a working system.

Two games per round sounds good. In the league it's a bit overwhelming but ideal for a more laid back competition. There's a better chance one of the games will appeal to more people.

More participation is what I'd like to see most and I think a relaxed set of rules with less pressure to compete helps that. Everyone plays games a bit differently but we can all share our enthusiasm together.
Old 23 May 2020, 09:31   #5
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanist View Post
[...] Everyone plays games a bit differently but we can all share our enthusiasm together.