English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 05 May 2019, 09:08   #1
ath786

Threw Amiga away but kept the data?

It looks like quite a few people threw their Amigas away in the late 90s. I threw mine away too but keep thinking if I'd kept my data I wouldn't have regretted it as much ?
I was wondering if anybody who did throw their Amiga away had the good sense to back up their data first? I've got an A1200 now like back then but without the data it's not the same, if I simply copied my backup to the hard drive I bet the feeling would be different!
Old 05 May 2019, 13:33   #2
LongLifeA1200

Can't think of what's not already archived on Aminet and such, that would have been worth backing up.

I regret the machines being destroyed more, fewer of them around now.
Old 05 May 2019, 16:04   #3
ath786

Not so much programs etc that may be on Aminet. I mean user generated data like documents, pictures, music, samples etc that cant be downloaded from public sites, but is gone forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post
Can't think of what's not already archived on Aminet and such, that would have been worth backing up.

I regret the machines being destroyed more, fewer of them around now.
Old 06 May 2019, 00:21   #4
spiff
Oh noes!

I guess it's different for everyone, but for me, not so much..

I recovered some of my stuff, that I remembered as awesome. These days, nope , priorities and perspective (family) have changed so even with a 1:1 backup.. its not the same.

The memory of producing and swapping with friends is more precious than the actual data.

*edit* maybe its more of a case of "Your biggest regret is the the thing you didn't do" ?

Last edited by spiff; 06 May 2019 at 00:31.
Old 06 May 2019, 11:05   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I never really had such data, my Amiga was 100% a gaming machine. Whatever "documents" I had were really single-use school things that I have no problems with that they're gone.

I will forever be sad that the machine was tossed though. I'll not shed a tear when I lose all photographs and what not that I've collected over the last four decades, it's more fun to make new ones anyway. But that one Miggy won't ever come back.
Old 06 May 2019, 11:41   #6
Leffmann

My brother and I still have our old Amigas, an A500, A1200, and CD32. Almost all the pictures, mods, code and other things we made and collected from 1992-2002 when the Amigas were in use is properly backed up.

This "data" is the only thing that's really important, but I'd still hesitate to throw out the Amigas even if they are rarely used these days.
Old 06 May 2019, 14:18   #7
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Personally I just lost most of the Amiga stuff, meaning that I loaned them away and never bothering to get them back. So, I was left with hundreds of disks that I rummaged through a few years ago and restored whatever there was to restore that wasn't readily available elsewhere. Before I wrapped up my Amiga use I did back up all my personal Amiga stuff on a Iomega Zip disk that I still have around somewhere. I remember that due to the slowness of the device I custom formatted it with PFS and it took quite a many tries to get the drive to read and write without errors.

If I ever wanted to read the contents again I'd have quite a hill ahead me to climb.
Old 06 May 2019, 15:55   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah backing up stuff on media where you had to do custom formatting does not sound like a robust future proof tactic
Old 06 May 2019, 17:20   #9
ath786

What kind of Miggy was it? Sounds like you need to jump in and buy another one like I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I never really had such data, my Amiga was 100% a gaming machine. Whatever "documents" I had were really single-use school things that I have no problems with that they're gone.

I will forever be sad that the machine was tossed though. I'll not shed a tear when I lose all photographs and what not that I've collected over the last four decades, it's more fun to make new ones anyway. But that one Miggy won't ever come back.
Old 06 May 2019, 20:26   #10
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Yes, I had an A4000 and the first thing i did when I bought a PC with a CD-ROM burner was to take it out of the PC and put it in the amiga and burn copies of all the data.

I am very happy I did that as there was a lot of stuff on there that I wanted to keep. I really wish I still had that A4000 but at least I have all my data available to me.
Old 06 May 2019, 23:21   #11
ath786

Sounds like a great move.
If you come onto some money maybe another A4000 is on the cards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Yes, I had an A4000 and the first thing i did when I bought a PC with a CD-ROM burner was to take it out of the PC and put it in the amiga and burn copies of all the data.

I am very happy I did that as there was a lot of stuff on there that I wanted to keep. I really wish I still had that A4000 but at least I have all my data available to me.
Old 06 May 2019, 23:34   #12
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ath786 View Post
Sounds like a great move.

If you come onto some money maybe another A4000 is on the cards
I've thought about it many times and even bid on them from time to time but I don't think I'd get enough use out of it for the price they go for now. I have a 1200 that i picked up a few years ago that is good enough, I mostly use winuae for doing the more serious stuff anyway.

Sent from my I3213 using Tapatalk
Old 07 May 2019, 08:45   #13
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yeah backing up stuff on media where you had to do custom formatting does not sound like a robust future proof tactic
Having a backup of a 1) computer no longer being manufactured 2) put on an obscure medium nobody's had for a 20 years and and 3) unintentionally
encrypting the contents with a custom filesystem.

Who knew this would lead to trouble?

Last edited by jizmo; 07 May 2019 at 10:59.
Old 07 May 2019, 13:10   #14
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ath786 View Post
What kind of Miggy was it? Sounds like you need to jump in and buy another one like I did
Just a simple A500. Of course I can get a different one, but it won't be my childhood Miggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
Having a backup of a 1) computer no longer being manufactured 2) put on an obscure medium nobody's had for a 20 years and and 3) unintentionally
encrypting the contents with a custom filesystem.

Who knew this would lead to trouble?
Captain Hindsight, that's who!
Old 07 May 2019, 13:20   #15
Jope
-

The data is the most important I agree. I gave my C64 disks away with the computer and always regretted it.
Old 07 May 2019, 14:25   #16
KONEY
OctaMED Music Composer

backed up everything AND kept the machines. Still using both data and machines ^_^
Old 07 May 2019, 16:23   #17
ath786

Nice one, if I'd known then I should've just kept the hard drive. What's done is done now though, no going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONEY View Post
backed up everything AND kept the machines. Still using both data and machines ^_^
Old 07 May 2019, 23:52   #18
madlax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONEY View Post
Wise decision. I had a couple of 500s, 2000s, 1200s, 3000D and 3000T back in the day. I wish I had kept my 3000T at least
Old 08 May 2019, 03:45   #19
Magic

I did keep my A3000T I still have it with the original shipping box, disks, manuals, and all. The first thing I did when I got it was pull the motherboard and remove the battery. I am sure glad I did. To this day it still runs great. I make sure and power it up and use it from time to time.
Old 08 May 2019, 09:50   #20
jotd
This cat is no more

I've made backups as soon as I had access to CD writers. The first CD writer I had access to was a huge Kodak SCSI one that I borrowed (it was like 1500 euro in 1996) I connected to the amiga with a hard-to-find SCSI cable.

Still have a A1200 nowadays (scrapped my faulty A1200 tower (Faulty tower haha)), but now all data is on the PC, and I copy stuff on throwaway CF cards. Amiga is reserved for gaming / testing.

After a while you have so many backup discs that it's difficult to find interesting and non duplicated information. One thing I lost was (not sure) the source of Premier Manager (2?), some football management game that I was sent to create a HD install, that I never created