English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 03 November 2014, 09:57   #521
tomse
We need more scans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigappc View Post
That is why I said that he can make "bounty" for firmware update, which will cover his work hours expenses.

However, I am a bit skeptical about it, since there are no news form the author for several months.

Do you think that current firmware status works good to justify buying Gotek? Is it suitable for fitting in A1200 internally without modifying case?

Thanks,
The current firmware has a few quirks, but it's in a good working order to be used.

you'll have to do some modding on the gotek drive plastic casing itself to make it fit in the desktop models. You can pull out the switches and attach them to a new becel in the back expansion port. You'll need to access those switches quite often for diskswapping. if you move the leds outside, all you need is space enough to be able to plug in the USB drive.
Old 03 November 2014, 10:09   #522
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
However, I am a bit skeptical about it, since there are no news form the author for several months.
The last post from HM on his website was 23rd August. Hardly a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM
This is not the end of the project, but I have to found another way for it to avoid such abuse.
Which to me means he's either going to license the SW (i.e. legally enforce resellers to pay) or produce his own floppy drive units which would not be binary compatible with Gotek.
Old 03 November 2014, 11:30   #523
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
or produce his own floppy drive units which would not be binary compatible with Gotek.
Resellers would just keep selling the old firmwares, which are "good enough" for the majority of users anyway
Old 03 November 2014, 13:35   #524
Anemos
70X7

Quote:

Do you think that current firmware status works good to justify buying Gotek? Is it suitable for fitting in A1200 internally without modifying case?

Thanks,
Is working well whit my A500+ i dont try yet on A1200, yes you can put it with out modifying case
Old 03 November 2014, 23:25   #525
stu232
Utterly Lost....

Aaaargh!

I've just spent hours arranging, sorting out my Amiga Demos into individual alphabetical folders and now when I enter into my Demo folder my Gotek doesn't see anything!

My MUSIC and GAMES folders are fine, I can browse the drive perfectly well and things load except for the DEMO folder.

Does anyone know what I've done wrong?

[EDIT]

My PC can see all the Demo folders, so I know they are actually on the USB drive.
Old 03 November 2014, 23:57   #526
Superman

Back up your USB to your PC then reformat it. Put on everything again from your backup and see if it fixes it. For some reason the Gotek firmware doesn't put things in order if you add files later on.
Old 04 November 2014, 08:21   #527
Anemos
70X7

The selector.adf, keeps some information after save list.
Must Not to add changing files - folders from PC, after the first save selector.adf.
If selector.adf crash Try rewrite it only this file, but the best solution is formating the usb stick and write new files - folders.
Old 07 November 2014, 20:15   #528
stu232
Utterly Lost....

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try.

Just to be clear on this, once I've added files to the usb stick I shouldn't add any more as the Selector.adf will only see files which were present when it was first run?

[edit]

I replaced Selector.adf with a fresh copy but I have the same problem

I suppose I'll have to make a backup then reformat the usb.

Last edited by stu232; 07 November 2014 at 20:23.
Old 07 November 2014, 20:51   #529
Superman

You can add files but it wont put them alphabetically. It just chucks them to the bottom of the list of whatever directory you add them to. A fresh format and than re add from scratch is the only way. I always add new stuff to my backup and then when I want it on the Gotek I format and copy the whole lot again. Takes about 10 mins but its worth it to get the order listed correctly.
Old 10 November 2014, 23:22   #530
mamejay

You can sort out your USB drive via a windows pc.
Search for a program called fat sorter.
This will reorder your files correctly and includes sub directories.

Old 11 November 2014, 17:35   #531
TroelsDK
Registered Amiga Maniac

I thought I'd just ad this info.

My Gotek(s) where acting up... Filenames were messed up, the boot menu froze at beginning, while assigning disks, on exit etc. and the Gotek it self froze or wouldn't load anything. I was beginning to think the drives, or I, was cursed..

I read through this entire thread, and on Herves blog, looking for someone with the same problem... Combining a few possible solutions from the later, I finally got everything working!

Since these were not mentioned here, I'll just put the info here, if others are having the same problem.

1. Not every release works! Examples. "FLT" version of Cannon Fodder (1) and B.C.Kid. Test another version! I found that "DC" version of B.C.Kid works, and "CSL" version of CF1 works.

2. The TOSEC names are waaaaay to long. Rename the file "Game name" + "Disk numbers", cut everything else!

3. If one version is BAD (point 1.), the selector gets corrupted, the drive freezes etc. Test ONE game at a time.

4. If you have assigned a game to #1, you can't overwrite it. You need to format the drive, get a clean selector.adf

Hope this will help others
Old 13 November 2014, 11:46   #532
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Would be handy if there was an easy way to batch rename TOSEC sets to shorter names.... Any ideas?
Old 15 November 2014, 12:11   #533
dirkies
Zone Friend

Look for 'Ant renamer', simple yet brilliant batch file renamer, almost endless possibilities.
Old 15 November 2014, 12:27   #534
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
Look for 'Ant renamer', simple yet brilliant batch file renamer, almost endless possibilities.
If you have a Mac running OSX then Automator is brilliant for creating file renaming workflows and it comes with your OS.
Old 18 November 2014, 08:28   #535
amigappc

Mine came yesterday, I soldered extra pins and flashed, it works Ok. Didnt have time to check for compatibility just tried two adfs. I suppose lots of them wont work because of kickstart 3.1? Any news from author about new firmware versions? Any news from him at all?
Old 18 November 2014, 08:30   #536
Vot

Quote:
Mine came yesterday, I soldered extra pins and flashed, it works Ok. Didnt have time to check for compatibility just tried two adfs. I suppose lots of them wont work because of kickstart 3.1? Any news from author about new firmware versions? Any news from him at all?

I pm'ed him with no response..
Old 18 November 2014, 08:51   #537
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
I pm'ed him with no response..
He doesn't come here any more (since July) but he has posted to his website
Old 18 November 2014, 22:06   #538
amigappc

Where? I cannot see anything new? (besides the fact that he is pissed of that someone are selling preflashed devices)?

I sent him PM as well, asking that he open donation Paypal channel.

Anyway, I wanted to ask, is it secure to pull out USB till Amiga and Gotek are turned on (hotplug)? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
He doesn't come here any more (since July) but he has posted to his website
Old 19 November 2014, 00:45   #539
R-Typer

Quote:

Anyway, I wanted to ask, is it secure to pull out USB till Amiga and Gotek are turned on (hotplug)? Thanks.

Its safe. Im doing this for a long time with several different usb sticks.
Old 23 November 2014, 21:33   #540
amigappc

Author came online on his Blog after long time, and approved many comments. In case he reads this forums, I want to suggest few things:

1. Open some thread for firmware suggestions

I have some:
a) When you look at list of files in the adf launcher, if filenames are long, highlighted name should start to scroll (on initial screen, and slots screen)
b) possibility to rearrange files by name on initial screen
c) Possibility to create/format empty ADF disk from Workbench, in order to use as savegame disk
d) Possibility to use drives df0-df3 (or more) without manual switching of disks using buttons (if something like that is even possible?)
e) Possibility to delete adf file on USB directly from menu on Amiga
f) Possibility to select from which slot to start prior to restart ( Save, restart and start on X )
g) Option to clean (eject) all slots at once (useful if you mapped 50 adfs)

Last edited by amigappc; 24 November 2014 at 22:31.