English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 August 2002, 22:47   #41
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

It is fair to only credit Microsoft with Business savvy. Unlike Atari and Commodore who even together couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery, M$ knew how to exploit the business world, whereas CBM, Atari Corp and Acorn failed miserably. Again, Apple have to be credited for their slim survival. And thats the word: survival.

But make no mistake, Windows, considering the horsepower it sucks up is pretty darn sh**. It would be like a car that only goes 1 mile on 10 gallons or something...And sorry unknown_k, having been forced to use Windows 3.1 in the mid nineties after being raised on Amigas was a SHOCK to say the least. That OS blew chunks, as does Win95. As far as im concerned only the recent Win2000 and to a degree Windows XP have finally been slightly respectable.

But heres the irony these products were based (NT) on OTHER peoples technology! Let us not forget that Microsoft Basic wasnt written by Bill Gates! He bought it from someone else! IE, being based on Mosaic! All throughout its history, M$ has Borg-like assimilated other peoples work and sold as their own thanks to cold hard $$$.

They dont create ideas. They steal other peoples.

I dread to imagine how far we truly are in terms of Operating Systems thanks to Bill Gates evil minions chasing profit before progress.
Old 16 August 2002, 01:22   #42
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
People get very pasionate about their computers, its like talking religion and politics.

As an engineer with a patent, I respect inovation. But inovation that doesnt get to the masses is basically worthless. An ancient Greek invented a steam enguine way back in BC times, he used it for a toy that would spin.. imagine what would have happened if he spread the idea and people used it as a tool, who knows what the world would be like now. And dont forget every inovation is built on the back of millions of other inovations from the people before you. Even with marketing if your product is not at least usable nobody will buy it The reason I got rid of my C64 in the late 80's and purchased a 286 PC was because I needed to run specific programs used at college. I dont care how great a OS/System is if the software I need to get a job done isnt available for it. Once you switch to a platform (especially an expensive one) its hard to justify jumping to another system unless it offers something you need your current system doesnt do. Most people have alot more money invested in system specific software then the hardware itself. in the buisiness world people decide what software they need, then go buy the hardware they need to run it. The videotoaster + software for video digitising made people buy amiga's , same with quark making people buy macs, and these days videogames make people buy Intel PC's. From what I remember the original spreadsheet sold alot of apple 2's because it was the only machine that had the program. Software is what drives the industry and it doesnt surprise me that a software company became dominant and alot of hardware companies bit the dust. it also doesnt surprise me that a computer made from open source off the shelf parts ended up being the leading hardware platform. it definatly wasnt the best hardware in existance but people could clone it and that in itself made it better.
Old 16 August 2002, 01:31   #43
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
People get very pasionate about their computers, its like talking religion and politics.
Indeed
Quote:
But inovation that doesnt get to the masses is basically worthless.
I beg to differ. I know this is a different field, but paintings and stuff made by, let's say, Picasso, were innovative, but they never hit the masses, because art is not a massive phenomenon. His stuff was innovative nevertheless and marked the way things were done in the graphic area. Same could be told bout Dali methinks.
Quote:
I dont care how great a OS/System is if the software I need to get a job done isnt available for it.
As you said, the computer could be a tool. And if you don't feel comfortable with it, how to use it? Would you use a left-handed mouse? yes, you could end up using a left-handed mouse, but you have to go through a stupid process of re-learn that should NOT be needed.
Quote:
Once you switch to a platform (especially an expensive one) its hard to justify jumping to another system unless it offers something you need your current system doesnt do.
Ahh, so it is a matter of pride?. "I will defend this system becasue it cost me bloody dearly. I had to sell my mother to get it! Even if it works bad, I'll say it rox0rz"
Quote:
and these days videogames make people buy Intel PC's.
Hehehe, sorry, but people who like games BUY A PS2. Or a GBA. Or a Gamecube.
Old 16 August 2002, 02:05   #44
Unknown_K

Quote:
I beg to differ. I know this is a different field, but paintings and stuff made by, let's say, Picasso, were innovative, but they never hit the masses, because art is not a massive phenomenon. His stuff was innovative nevertheless and marked the way things were done in the graphic area. Same could be told bout Dali methinks.
Not true, Picasso inovated and the masses in the art world seen it. If picasso had just copied a style from somebody down the street you would not know that somebody else had done the inovation.
Quote:
As you said, the computer could be a tool. And if you don't feel comfortable with it, how to use it? Would you use a left-handed mouse? yes, you could end up using a left-handed mouse, but you have to go through a stupid process of re-learn that should NOT be needed.
Well thats where maketing takes over, somebody would see the problem and sell you a right handed mouse. But the mouse does not make a whole working package. If I took the amiga and its os just replaced the keybpoard with a morse code clicker type input device where would the amiga have gone? Would you still have wanted one?

Quote:
Quote:
Once you switch to a platform (especially an expensive one) its hard to justify jumping to another system unless it offers something you need your current system doesnt do.
Ah, so it is a matter of pride?. "I will defend this system becasue it cost me bloody dearly. I had to sell my mother to get it! Even if it works bad, I'll say it rox0rz"
Hell no its not a matter of pride its a matter of money. Once you pay a few $4000 for a system+software that works why would you spend another $4000 if the new system didnt do anything the old system doesnt currently do. You would switch to a NEW platform if your current system cant run the new software you need or the new system save you enough in time using the SAME software that it was worth the upgrade.
Quote:
Quote:
and these days videogames make people buy Intel PC's.
Hehehe, sorry, but people who like games BUY A PS2. Or a GBA. Or a Gamecube.
Really? Wonder where the billions from the PC gaming market is coming from then? Maybe bill gates purchased 1 copy of tetris for $2,000,000,000? I do own a PSX and a dreamcast. But even the new consoles dont have Age of Empires with 4v4 online play, same for Unreal Tournament (best played with a keyboard and mouse on a fast network). Some types of games are best played on a PC because of the screen resolution, internet, mouse keyboard combo, memory requirements. Someday soon the consoles with get all these requirements but its not TODAY. How many Amiga/Mac users have a PC just for games? quite alot i bet. Dont tell me people buy p4's for home use because thier pentium 1 doesnt read email, type thier letters, or run quicken fast enough... its for GAMES (and to keep up with their game playing neighbors). A few actually need it for high end work too I'll give you that
Old 16 August 2002, 02:21   #45
blackcornflake

Sorry to interject. Just a small point.

I don't get this PC Gaming Machine bit. I never have. Maybe it's because I'm not a big fan of FPS or RTS games. Dunno. I just know the PC is the LAST platform I think of when it comes to playing games on. You can't use it drunk, or high . No real plug and play. Too much fiddly shit. You dig?

Anyway. Please continue debating.
Old 16 August 2002, 02:40   #46
Unknown_K

RTS and FPS games are where the PC is better equipped for the task. Basically anything where a keyboard and mouse cant be replaced with a game controller easily. Also its great for games that already established for online play, something consoles have just recently gotten into.

As far as no real plug and play? What was the last PC you used a 486?

If I could buy an xbox for $200 add a keyboard and mouse plus my 19" monitor and it would play age of kings on the net then I would switch in a hearbeat
Old 16 August 2002, 02:45   #47
blackcornflake

heh heh!

Nope, I used a PIII last. But I prefer my Gamecube for games.
Old 16 August 2002, 03:47   #48
Amiga1992

Sorry, I HAD to fix your message with proper quotes. It was unreadable.
Quote:
Not true, Picasso inovated and the masses in the art world seen it. If picasso had just copied a style from somebody down the street you would not know that somebody else had done the inovation.
Masses? The art world has never been massive. I was talking about your innovation/massivity relation. "If it ain't massive it's shite". With that in mind, Backstreet Boys are a a HUGE innovation in the music world.
Quote:
Well thats where maketing takes over, somebody would see the problem and sell you a right handed mouse. But the mouse does not make a whole working package. If I took the amiga and its os just replaced the keybpoard with a morse code clicker type input device where would the amiga have gone? Would you still have wanted one?
No, because I don't know morse code, and I don't need to know it to use the fucking computer for my graphic work. You are just emphasizing my point Marketing my arse. I buy the computer I WANT not the one the storeclerk sold to me. And if I am to use it as a tool, I can't use an uncomfortable tool. The OS defines the working environment of the computer.
Quote:
Hell no its not a matter of pride its a matter of money. Once you pay a few $4000 for a system+software that works why would you spend another $4000 if the new system didnt do anything the old system doesnt currently do.
We are talking, I presume, about the A1, a hardware that costs around 500 dollars at the most, not 4000 bucks. And of course, if it offers at least the same functionality as my PC, I'd switch. It sucks paying top dollar for a shitty platform. But I admit it. The PC sucks and it costed me dearly. I'd be looking forward to move on if I could. I have a PC now by bad luck, if I had the cash I wanted I'd be using a Powermac G4.
Quote:
Really? [zzzz] Some types of games are best played on a PC because of the screen resolution, internet, mouse keyboard combo, memory requirements.
First, I dont know how playable a game is if it needs a mouse and a combination of 32 keys. Are we talking about Flight Simulators? I dont think so. When the Amiga was starting to get slow, people said they'd switch to PCs because of the phong-shaded flightsims. Come fucking on!
What types of games are you referring to anyway? FPS, RTS, and that's it?. Billions of dollars invested in expensive hardware that lets me play only two types of games? Sorry but I rather spend 400 dollars in a Playstation 2 or Gamecube, with its much bigger array of games. I want diversity. Even my $99 GBA gives me more diversity than what a PC can. With just four buttons. Fuck the keyboard, I'm a gamer. The keyboard is for typing a letter to grandma, not for playing. (read: jaguar "joypad")
Quote:
Dont tell me people buy p4's for home use because thier pentium 1 doesnt read email, type thier letters, or run quicken fast enough...
Yes they fucking do because they are idiots and buy whatever they tell them to at CompUSA! I know most people who own computers are using but 1% of the thing's capability. My neighbour must have a system more powerful than I, and he just checks email and gets infected by virri. On the other hand I squeeze the platform as much as possible. I had a P133 until April, and I was developing multimedia on it until I could no more.

And the cornflake is right, plug and play is bollocks. My friend has a DV cam and Windows XP doesn't fucking recognize it. Plug and Die, more like.
Old 16 August 2002, 03:54   #49
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Excellent reply, Akira! Knock 'em dead, kid!
Old 16 August 2002, 04:06   #50
Amiga1992

I am Twistin' Ghost's padawan
Old 16 August 2002, 05:28   #51
jmmijo

@Akira, you said: TOOL in that reply, as in I am one
Old 16 August 2002, 05:32   #52
Unknown_K

This is in reply to Akira

Aparently Akira thinks that everybody should like the games he likes and is stupid to like anything not on a console. He also thinks his point is more valid the more "fucks" he puts in his message.

I like the age of empires series (rts) and you cant play it on any console. If thats not the type of game you like thats fine with me, but get all pissy when somebody has a different preference then you. If the game cost me $2000 in computer equipment to play it then thats fine with me because thats the kind of game I like to play and I have the money to pay for it.

If you wanted a Mac so bad why do you have a PC? As fas as the $4000 computers way back when the DID cost that much or close to it complete with basic software and a monitor/printer. Some macs used to cost alot more then that, and the top of the line g4's will cost that much if you buy a complete package today with large LCD monitor printer software etc. And no I wasnt talking about the A1, you should have asked if you were not clear instead of assuming.

Tell your freind to read the box on his plug and play device to see if it is compatible with his hardware. Would you get pissy with amiga hardware if your AGA game didnt run on an A500 system?

I dont understand why you would be unhappy that your neighbor doesnt use 100% of his computers potential, some kind of envy going on there? IF I buy a porshe because I like the look of the car am I a bad person because I dont race it using it to its full potential?

"Fuck the keyboard, I'm a gamer. The keyboard is for typing a letter to grandma, not for playing. (read: jaguar "joypad")
I am a gamer"

I guess a gamer like you must have had one hell of a time with the Zork series of early computer games, oh wait they are not games because they require a keyboard.. let me call the original makers and bithc them out using curse words because their game didnt fall under YOUR definition of a game.

I custom build my pc's with quality parts to do what I want them to do and have no problems getting any of my equipment to run and stay running. To me an OS should just interface the hardware I have to the software I want to work with and make it easy to get to, thats it. I dont even want to be thinking about my OS, I just want to get the work done or play my game.

I have pc's mac's consoles, retro systems because each has their own specific strongpoint and each has its weakness. There is no single platform that can do everything I want the best way it can be done and computers have been a longtime hobby for me.

I responded to these threads because I wanted to hear other people opinions on a subject, not to hear people thumping a bible like their way is the only way and others are crazy for not using the system they believe is the one true system.
Old 16 August 2002, 06:30   #53
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:

Picasso borrowed heavily from west African sytlized art. He copied it, and took credit.
Old 16 August 2002, 06:38   #54
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I once said that the "popularization" (is this a valid word: D) of computers was a bad thing, and this gets more and more true.

I understand you want your OS to just interface you with the hardware (That's what's an OS is made for ), but this doesn't mean you want the OS to TELL how the machine to behave. I want my OS to interface me to the hardware, yet I want the machine to behave the way I want. You never think about your OS? And when you get blue screens, you think in what?

Zork is a text-adventure, that's why it uses the keyboard. You must be too dumb and didn't understand what Akira meant. If you take a look at the PS2 joypad, you'll see it has a digital input device, 10 buttons and 2 analogue devices. That's more than suficient to control any game (The 2 analogue sticks are better than a mouse for gaming anyday) . The keyboard isn't and never was meant to be a gaming device.
And like Akira said, I can't understand why someone would expend big money in PCs for gaming, when they can basically only play 2 kind of games on it. The console market is also flooded with RTSs and FPSs (If you like such boring games), but at least I can also try different kinds of games in a console. I won't even waste my time to tell about all the other advantages a console has upon a PC when talking about games.

I do know LOTS of people who buys a POWERFULL computer to just do simple stuff. And I know why this makes Akira angry, it's because you know there's a piece of hardware somewhere that's being underused, while HIM (or ME ) could be using it properly. And if someone wants a computer to just browse internet, do word processing and play games, buy an MSX! An MSX does all this for about 50 dollars. (Or even less, Akira or Retroman should know better ) .
Old 16 August 2002, 06:48   #55
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

Are we talking about Flight Simulators? I dont think so. When the Amiga was starting to get slow, people said they'd switch to PCs because of the phong-shaded flightsims. Come fucking on!
I love my 16 bit games. Amiga, Atari ST, Megadrive, SNES,etc.
My fave genre is flight sims. Thats why I bought my Atari St. For Falcon, Knits of the Sky, etc. Being a rabid Flight sim fan, I will inform you that Amiga/Atari St flight sims don't hold a candle to my PC flight sims. Not even close. Why? I explained this before. Realism. The intense physics models and damage models, speed and VERY bitchy control needed by the truest flight sims need the hardware of my P3 800 GeForce ti 4200. I despise Windows and guarantee, were it not for my beloved flight sims I would stick to my iBook.
Old 16 August 2002, 07:07   #56
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I
Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Ok, now that you have made it clear, Lukas, I see you compare people's misconception with Windows on every PC vis a vis people misconception of every Amiga owner using the A 500.
Thats fair. But my point is this: the vast majority of PC owners/users, I'd say close to 99 percent, use Windows. So you see, it was not too much of a stretch for me to assume you were boosting the OS (windows) and not the hardware. Glad we cleared that up.
Now, although I am a rabid retrogamer (with preference to Amiga, Atari St and Megadrive), my two favourite game genres, flight sims and racing games, are better on PC than those oldies. The reason is that the oldies cannot in any way match the physics models, damage models etc of the best PC flight sims and racers. Now get this ....very, very few PC racers/ flight sims get it right. Formula One 2002 and IL 2 Sturmovik, two of the best now, are near perfect. To a serious simulation fan like me, the physics models are crucial. Thats the problem with PC hardware; it's not the hardware, its the people who utilize it poorly when coding the bloated PC games out there. On the other hand, on the Amiga, because there was so little to work with in terms of space, the coders had to be efficient. Hence, most racing and flight simulations were excellent and as close to realistic as possible back then. A much higher percentage than nowadays. See? Thats my point freind. More is NOT neccesarily better.
Now, I think you miss Twist's point. Basically, the jist is the same as mine. But you make a serious flaw in stating that Amiga's stood in time. No way, they progressed from rally limited graphics and sound to games like Napalm and Foundations: Director's Cut and Myst. This all on the basic PPC architecture.
I explained it much better here.....
Only a handful of today's flight sims are worth anything. And the MS Combat Flight sims? Pure junk. Buggy, poor physics, IMHO, and very quirky.
Old 16 August 2002, 07:27   #57
Unknown_K

See even Fredrick who hates Intel/M$ Pc's with a passion purchased one to play 1 type of game he likes. Which is another genre that doesnt cut it on a console at the moment.

Shatterhand:

I am not sure what you mean by how the OS should make the hardware behave? BTW I dont get BSOD, maybe 1 a year on win2k which runs 24/7 as a server, burner, IRC, ICQ, and a number of other things. As far as interfacing you with the hardware exactly what is that for. As long as the OS properly detects your devices and works well enough with your aplications what is there to interface? I dont boot up a machine to play with an interface each day, its to work on multiple aplications.

If you have never played age of kings by microsoft on the PC (and from the sound of it you have not) then dont tell me a joypad brand xxx with 6 buttons is the controller I need for that system. AOK is a 2 handed games where the keyboard is used for command while at the same time the mouse is used for selecting movement, units, groupings etc. You cant do that very well on any game controller I ever seen. And for the 3rd time AOK doesnt exist on a console that I know of, so quit telling me the game I want is better on a system that doesnt have it!

And you have no idea why people buy the computers they do, maybe somebody has to bring home files for CAD once a year and needs the rendering power of a state of the art computers while the rest of the time they just do email on it. All I get from you and Akira on that topic is ENVY for something somebody else has and you dont. If a millionaire purchased a supercomputer just to type 3 lines of code into it once and lock it away forever good for him. That computer would not exist if he didnt buy it, and if he gets bored with it then it will be alot cheaper to buy it slightly used on ebay. The more computers people buy make it cheaper for the rest of us to get one (the more of a part you make the cheaper you can sell that part). Most people want new computers with a warranty, cant get a new MSX machine at best buy with 1 year same as cash can you? Do you want to support everybody who takes you up on getting a used MSX computer for email but knows nothing about it and doesnt have the software or manual?

And there are alot of games that used the keyboard for typing in commands besides the Zork series, like Ultima series to name one. Keyboards were used for gaming before computers were cheap enough to bring home.
Old 16 August 2002, 07:50   #58
Amiga1992

Always, always, when I bash M$, the M$ loving part gets pissed and starts insulting. I have not insulted you in my post at all.. Oh well..
Quote:
Aparently Akira thinks that everybody should like the games he likes and is stupid to like anything not on a console. He also thinks his point is more valid the more "fucks" he puts in his message.
That's so untrue. My use of the word fuck has nothing to do with it. I swear a lot. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.. see? Fuck fuck fuck *koff* * koff*
Anyway, that's not what I meant, I meant that I don't see the PC as the top selling games system, that's so untrue! CONSOLES ARE! Because if you think of games, you buy a console, no? Daddy is not going to buy a $4000 PC to Jimmy for playing games, is he? No, he's going to buy a $400 PS2. Daddy's not dumb. Daddy takes care of the house's economy. Daddy is a good father. I love you daddy *smack*
Quote:
I like the age of empires series (rts) and you cant play it on any console. If thats not the type of game you like thats fine with me, but get all pissy when somebody has a different preference then you. If the game cost me $2000 in computer equipment to play it then thats fine with me because thats the kind of game I like to play and I have the money to pay for it.
Hey, I didnt say anything about it. I'm comparing. Consoles give more bang for the buck. $4000 for a system that lets you play 2 or 3 types of games, versus $400 for a system with a wider array of choices. I like to choose. I choose consoles.
Quote:
If you wanted a Mac so bad why do you have a PC?
Ahh you git, go on, stab me where it hurts. If you would have read properly, you would have noticed that I said that for economical reasons I couldn't. Why? Because I already had a PC. And upgrading it costed me 400 dollars. Compare that to the 2500 I had to pay for a new Powermac G4 system. I really wanted to buy the PMac G4 but I just couldn't. And in 1997 I got a PC because it was a gift. I couldn't say to my uncle "stick this shite up your arse and get me a Powermac G3, you fuck!". He spent 3000 dollars on it and I was like, "WTF did you just do! We could have upgraded the Amiga for much less, I dont need a PC!". That's how I ended up with an x86 box.
Quote:
Tell your freind to read the box on his plug and play device to see if it is compatible with his hardware. Would you get pissy with amiga hardware if your AGA game didnt run on an A500 system?
Sorry, but DV Cams are compatible with Firewire ports. if I have a Firewire port, obviously I can stick a DV cam to it. And the most interesting part, me ole mucker, is that teh camera works when he runs an old Win98. Besides, comparing hardware incomptibility with software incompatibility is not quite right.

*Teehee*
Quote:
I dont understand why you would be unhappy that your neighbor doesnt use 100% of his computers potential, some kind of envy going on there? IF I buy a porshe because I like the look of the car am I a bad person because I dont race it using it to its full potential?
Fuck my neighbour. His loss. i'm not envious. I didn't say he's a bad person. I'm just letting you know about a FACT. And yes, I think wasting your cash in a Porsche you are not going to put up to 240km/h is shite. Then again, people with cash tend to like wasting money in stuff they dont use. But in the PC field, lots of people, the LEGO USER, the one that knows nothing about PCs, gets sweettalked into buyiing the latest shit even if he/she doesn't need it. I'm actually unhappy, nay, MAD, at that. It's like if you want to buy a car and they want to bundle it to you with an insurance against the risk of hitting a pink kangaroo. Just for extra 2000 bucks or something.
Quote:
I guess a gamer like you must have had one hell of a time with the Zork series of early computer games, oh wait they are not games because they require a keyboard.. let me call the original makers and bithc them out using curse words because their game didnt fall under YOUR definition of a game.
OH PLEASE. You were talking about an ARCADE GAME that needs a kazillion of keys to be played (UT). I dont want that. Don't get desperate when trying to insult me.
Quote:
I custom build my pc's with quality parts to do what I want them to do and have no problems getting any of my equipment to run and stay running.
Me too, and my PC works just great, thank you.
Quote:
I responded to these threads because I wanted to hear other people opinions on a subject, not to hear people thumping a bible like their way is the only way and others are crazy for not using the system they believe is the one true system.
Again, you misunderstood me. I'm just discussing with you because you stnd up for Windows so much it's ..err... very strange.

I dont wanna fight with you anymore, it's boring already. I didn't want it to get like this, I never insulted you.

Let me go back to some pixelwork on the Classic II.
Old 16 August 2002, 07:59   #59
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

My point about the MSX was just to tell that most people don't need to buy a P4 when they don't need it. Oh yeah, and everytime I can talk about the MSX , I do it

I know what many of my friends buy computers for. And I can assure you they aren't using And of course, if you like to throw money in the bin, you are free to do it. I personally would like to spend my money in more usefull things.

I've played AOF a few times, didn't enjoyed it too much. I personall don't like a game that needs 100 keys to be memorized. If AOF plays like Warcraft, Dune 2000, Command & Conquer and thousands of other rts i've seen before (And from what I remember, it does), it can be played in a joypad using the analogue stick for the pointer movement, two buttons for the left/right mouse buttons, and the other buttons as the shortcut keys for commands. (There are more than 8 shortcuts? I hope not....)

I think AOF was ported to the N64, but I may be wrong. Command & Conquer was, and it was playable (if you like this kind of game). Konami ported lots of Microsoft games, in a very interesting agreement they had. (Microsoft says "Hey, please lemme publish a good game from you (Metal Gear Solid) on PC and we will give you all our shit games !) (That's just a joke, btw.. )

Zark and Ultima may be played on keyboard, but still the keyboard wasn't made for playing games. Anyway, those games many times aren't called "games", but "Interactive Fiction".

A GAMER (What Akira claimed to be, and what I do claim to be too) will want to play EVERY kind of game he can, and today a console is better to do that than a PC.

Now about the OS

I must admit I haven't used Win2K too much yet, and I've heard it's more stable. But why I don't update, you may ask?

Well, I have a pretty humble system (P233, 32 mbs RAM, TNT2 videocard, Creative Soundblaster 16... Not too many weird hardware, huh?). This system basically matches nearly all my needs for a PC computer, and anyway I don't have the $$$ to update it right now.

I HAVE to run Win 9X. Ever tried to run Windows 2K in a system like mine? Even Win 98 isn't that fast with 32 Mbs. And that's what I hate most about Windows, it's BLOATWARE. How the hell someone could make an OS that needs SO MUCH RAM is still beyond me. And I can assure you Win9X IS crap, and Windows 3.1 also IS crap, even for its time.

An OS is made to interface the user with the Hardware. If you study computer science (I am studying this ), you'll learn that's one OS definition: "It's the software made to interface the user with the hardware while managing it's resources". You would also learn that SOs are supposed to take as less system resources as possible, that they have to be trustable , they must be as small as possible, it should fit the users needs and has to be secure. Someone forgot to tell Microsoft about that

Back to the point

Even if you are just running apps in your computer, the OS is still interfacing you with the hardware. When you are using your CD burner, the SO is interfacing you with your burner. You tell the app to do something, and he will tell the SO to do that, and the SO will tell it to the hardware. Interface with the hardware is not just installing new drivers, it's nearly EVERYTHING you do with your computer.

I didn't want to take part in this discussion because my bad english always kills me when I need to make points , but after reading all this, I had to do it
Old 16 August 2002, 08:04   #60
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Bah, Akira replied while I was doing it so.

And he did it better than me.

I should shut up and only talk about games