English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 July 2012, 23:28   #1
shaf

Suggestion- Better Documentation for Sound Emulation

I know it's not an easy task but What is the recommended Sound Configuration for a High End Amiga Configuration based on Creative PCI-E Sound Drivers in Win 7 using the Latest Winuae version. (Currently the Winuae.chm file ver. 2.2.3 referenced Winuae 2.4.0.

A Document based on the advantages of each Sound Driver Type might be useful. Advantages/Disadvantages of Wasapi, DirectSound, OpenAL and PortAudio Based on Audio Cards.

I.e. Recommended Audio Setup for Onboard Realtec ALC650 is ....
Recommended Audio Setup for Onboard Realtec ALC665 is ....
Recommended Audio Setup for Onboard Realtec ALC850 is ....
Recommended Audio Setup for Onboard Realtec ALC889 is ....
Recommended Audio Setup for ADI Ad15xx is ...
Recommended Audio Setup for Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-E is ...
Recommended Audio setting for Creative SBLive PCI is ...
Note: I'm using ASUS and Gigabyte Boards as a Reference ASUS Prefers Realtec Audio Chipsets.

An additional note Due to the Windows Sound Engine Driver differences Win 2000/XP will not react the same way as Vista/Win7/Win8 which use a different Driver base.

If there's enough interest in this topic I may set up a Wiki or Blog for information.

Last edited by shaf; 27 August 2012 at 19:47. Reason: additional Information added
Old 07 July 2012, 17:32   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

In my opinion Realtek sucks when attempting to play short buffers (for low latency). Better quality sound cards usually allow lower buffer sizes before sound gets glitchy.

Simplest way is to try each sound driver mode and select the one that has most stable SND% (on screen leds) with lowest possible buffer size (smallest latency)
Old 26 July 2012, 02:12   #3
rsn8887

In case you have problems with your soundcard and WinUAE, a last resort is always to buy a USB sound device! I cannot speak for everyone else but me and my system, but I had terrible results with onboard realtek. I ended up buying a Behringer U-Control UCA 202 USB Audio device and have been happy since. The thing was about $30 on Amazon.

I installed the Behringer 32 bit ASIO driver from the official website, and have been using the "Portaudio: [ASIO] BEHRINGER USB AUDIO" driver in WinUAE:
sound buffer 2
sample rate 48kHz

I am not sure if it matters, but I chose the following settings in the Behringer ASIO control panel (accessible from any ASIO compatible music program such as Propellerhead Reason; btw it would be cool if WinUAE had an option to bring up the ASIO driver-specific control panel):
[USB Panel]
Input channels: 1+2
Output channels: 1+2
Sample Rate: 48 kHz
Resolution: 16 bit
[ASIO Panel]
ASIO resolution: 32 bit
System Performance: Fast
Application Priority: Normal

I am running on windows XP and on a computer that's about 5 years old though, so results might be vastly different on other people's systems.
Old 26 July 2012, 03:25   #4
lesta_smsc

I've got Realtek HD Audio and no problems in WinUAE - Then again, I'm not into using all the various options, and stick to the basics!
Old 28 July 2012, 12:24   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

There are (too) many different Realtek hardware and driver variants...
Old 27 August 2012, 19:46   #6
shaf

I agree with Toni and prefer to use a Creative Sound card instead on onboard audio. With the changed happening in WinUAE2.50 I'll revisit this topic as soon as the Final version is released.

I can configure Systems with Creative X-Fi Card running WIN7 and another System with a Creative SBLive running WinXP for testing.