English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad > project.Killergorilla's WHD packs

Old 23 November 2006, 17:28   #61
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

@Methanoid

I edited that out of my previous post actually. I thought people might find it too much hassle...

It'd certainly be a lot neater and tidier for the site and much easier for me to keep track of things.

So... in December do you propose that I simply merge any new ones into the letter packs or would you prefer me to merge and release the december pack as well just as an overlap.
Old 23 November 2006, 20:10   #62
mrodfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
@Methanoid

I edited that out of my previous post actually. I thought people might find it too much hassle...

It'd certainly be a lot neater and tidier for the site and much easier for me to keep track of things.

So... in December do you propose that I simply merge any new ones into the letter packs or would you prefer me to merge and release the december pack as well just as an overlap.
the best method is the methoad that cost you the verry limited free time consuming.

monthly pack like before is great (with letter pack updated when you want). If you want to do more, It's much better for all but It's better a simple pack a month than more complicated sometime IMHO

I personally put myself to a to z drawers on my computer (and update at the same time) and burn all on 2 CDRW (sometime).

thanks for all you made. thats verry great
Old 24 November 2006, 00:07   #63
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
@Methanoid

I propose that Jan-Nov are update pack months. Dec/Xmas is a re-release of the lot (ie no update but a re-package). Saves you doing a pack that month but you still have work and plenty of UL to do instead Give you a break once a year.

TBH its lots of work and I suspect you wouldnt manage a normal pack in December when buying all my (oooops) Xmas pressies. You have bought them or ordered them from Play.com by now??
Old 24 November 2006, 00:28   #64
Marcuz

i don't get a thing tough, alphabetic dirs or not? and then, you wouldn't have anymore the batches DAT-like-zed so let's say that in january you delete a november update, you would do what? ask for it or download the whole big directory again instead of the updated batch? basically the way you propose is like it was just that instead of organizing the files yourself, it gets done at the origin by KG. i prefer the other way, but it's not a big deal either
Old 24 November 2006, 08:39   #65
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Hey, don't get stressed.. I'm easy (and grateful) however KG does it.
Old 24 November 2006, 09:39   #66
HOL2001
Amigamaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodfr
the best method is the methoad that cost you the verry limited free time consuming.

monthly pack like before is great (with letter pack updated when you want). If you want to do more, It's much better for all but It's better a simple pack a month than more complicated sometime IMHO [...]
I agree with that !
Old 24 November 2006, 10:15   #67
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
Hey, don't get stressed.. I'm easy (and grateful) however KG does it.
stressed? no way friend just looking into the thing.
Old 24 November 2006, 10:54   #68
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Right...

Here's how it's gonna be

Initial #-Z packs released sometime in the near future...

Then monthly packs from January-November with no sub directories (i.e. no #-Z folders)

Dats for each letter updated each month and available to download by all.
(clrmamepro only as romcenter doesn't support subdirs in zips).

This seems to be the most sensible way of doing things.

It should never be a problem unarchiving all of the zips to the same directory as no single game shares the same directory name as another. This never used to be the case (e.g. MonkeyIsland in Fr or En would both install as "MonkeyIsland", JamesPond2 AGA and OCS would both install as "JamesPond2").

If anyone has anything to add or anything that they want to suggest I am still open to criticism/suggestions.
Old 24 November 2006, 11:52   #69
Marcuz

you mean that every game will be better labelled? thats great! some way to add the version of the release too it would be useful: the zips already had it, but not the directories.
like MonkeyIsland_ECS_FR_1.02 ? what do you think? it's ugly to see it in your game directory, but it's useful for updates. you can as well rename the file upon moving it where you use it.

last question. the big packs of what already has been done, will contain everything whdload? so it would be safe to delete all the old packs from DeCreator and KG?
Old 24 November 2006, 12:09   #70
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

It will indeed by safe to delete all of the old packs as these will encompass all whdload games, plus a lot more AGA/OCS differences and language variations.

Don't delete the demo/magazine packs though as these are not priority so won't be touched by me until I'm all games up!

The different language versions all have their language written in the name of the folder/slave/info

Your suggestion of MonkeyIsland_ECS_FR_1.02 is not feasible as the length will be far too long for what the Amiga can handle. (Amiga ignores the icon positioning/placement of info files if the filename is longer than something like 26 letters)

The zip files themselves look very similar to what you've suggested but the folder names need to be shorter to work properly.

Example:

MonkeyIsland2Fr

or

CivilizationAGADe

They don't look all that magical but it's the best solution IMHO
Old 24 November 2006, 13:14   #71
Marcuz

it's very ok with me. wish you a good work building up it all!
Old 24 November 2006, 15:58   #72
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Thanks mate, it's going ok actually, some of it is fun as I've never seen some of the games before but installing adventure games is EVIL. PURE EVIL.
Old 24 November 2006, 19:04   #73
Kristian95
A4000T owner :)

This has a big potential of being the best christmas present for sure
Old 27 November 2006, 17:14   #74
Bloodwych

Warning: Cheesy Appreciation Post

KG, you know how much you are loved for making sure we get our meal of WHDload goodness.

After all, someone has to make sure all that hard work put in by the WHDload team gets noticed and more importantly used on Amiga's throughout the world. You are that someone and I thank you and the WHDload team for such fantastich devotion.

I'm really surprised that you are re-arching and re-naming all the WHDload collection, because it's a big job! Especially if you're making newicons out of HOL screenshots too!

So, are you still making newicons for the packs? If not I don't blame you, as that would slow you down quite a bit!

I actually have the old WHDload collection (zip/lzx mix) and placed them into separate directories based on their type: AGA/ECS-OCS/IPF/Foreign/CDTV/CD32 etc, so I sorted them slightly different to most peeps here. I found this made things easier when I wanted to choose a version of a particular game to install (eg IPF, AGA or normal).

The new packs do sound like an improvement, so I may burn these off and start fresh from your new site. Problem is, if everyone is thinking the same, the server is going to have a crazy time keeping up with everyone trying to grab 3GB+ at once!

Zetro, we are damn lucky to have you on EAB and your slick "unlimited" hosting. Again, a big thanks to you too!
Old 28 November 2006, 01:16   #75
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@bloodwych

In honesty I have been looking for a way to contribute, and in this small way I have . its an honour to Host KG's WHD project and if there is anyway I can help, KG know's all he has to do is ask.. (for that wich you are thinking please see Fred the Duck)

KG's WHD project means a lot to a lot of people, I am just glad that I can do a small part and help KG

Quote:
the server is going to have a crazy time keeping up with everyone trying to grab 3GB+ at once!
from what my supplier states it should not have any trouble... I long to see.
Old 29 November 2006, 00:40   #76
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Especially if you're making newicons out of HOL screenshots too!
Is that what you're doing KG? If so, it should be possible to automate it I think. Bit of arexx, coupla utils, bish bash bosh - job done
Old 29 November 2006, 01:31   #77
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv
Is that what you're doing KG? If so, it should be possible to automate it I think. Bit of arexx, coupla utils, bish bash bosh - job done
KG mentioned it back here:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=230845&postcount=10

Not sure if he still is though, as it would be an arduous and long task without an auto-script. The whole reason behind this is Newicons are universally compatible with all workbench versions, while many game icons currently available are in 3.5+ format only. Frog has made a few excellent Newicons but we need more!
Old 30 November 2006, 00:00   #78
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
The page cannot be found

Am I missing something?
Old 13 December 2006, 00:54   #79
MageMaster

Any updates on the new whdload site gone 404 ?
Old 13 December 2006, 02:37   #80
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

indeed, I have no idea why, but the forum dont exist.. i will look into it later...