English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 April 2005, 19:48   #1
wanderer
I want an A1000

Best CD32 game music?

Most CD32 games were platformers, with no significant improvement from their A500/A1200 counterparts. Some though, introduced us to a new game-audio revolution: CD tracks.
My absolute favourite is Fire and Ice, amazing. (Jason Page). Too bad there isn't a Huelsbeck original CD32 release to compare but this is a masterpiece.
The 1st level from SleepWalker has a wonderful tune and also Brian the Lion is nice.
What do you think?
Old 17 April 2005, 00:01   #2
spiff
Oh noes!

Most of the time I’m just disappointed at CDtracks. It’s really great opportunity to do some good music. But instead we just get a GM midi version with some cheesy reverb, and it sounds just as cheap as it probably was.

For the good ones.. well Xenon 2 CDTV had two versions of Megablast¨.

Imo game "CD" music didn't really take off untill much later when audiocompression become common. Command and conqer was the first title that really showed me how games could be when discsize no longer was an issue.
Old 17 April 2005, 08:26   #3
Mark_C

My favourite CD soundtrack was for Skeleton Krew. Liberation had a great one, as did Sleepwalker.

I remember the demo of Donk having an euro dance tune with vocals. So did Whale's Voyage. Anyone remember "Drop The Bomb" from that sideways scrolling airplane shoot 'em up? Wish I could remember the name...
Old 17 April 2005, 08:30   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Jetstrike
Old 17 April 2005, 10:49   #5
wanderer
I want an A1000

Fire&Ice+SleepWalker CD32 music in The Zone!

Let me know if you like them or not.
Old 17 April 2005, 11:28   #6
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Thanks wanderer!

That SleepWalker sample is just, WOW
...and the F&I also cute

Me is a never-owning-cd32 bastard, who wants more nice soundtracks in [theZone!]
Old 17 April 2005, 14:19   #7
wanderer
I want an A1000

Glad you liked them Shoonay. If there's a demand I could throw in another couple!
Old 18 April 2005, 04:54   #8
revolution

Liberation or Fire & Ice. The menu screen music from Super Skidmarks was pretty nice too (wish I could find it somewhere, as I can't rip it from the CD!)

Old 20 April 2005, 17:43   #9
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff
Most of the time I’m just disappointed at CDtracks. It’s really great opportunity to do some good music. But instead we just get a GM midi version with some cheesy reverb, and it sounds just as cheap as it probably was.
You're right, most of them were dull. Lotus Trilogy CD32 for example, unbelievably boring cd tracks, the original Amiga version was much better. Too bad there wasn't an option to hear either from cd or "chip" as in Fire and Ice. (not any need there).
I think the need to overcome chip limitations led to some unforgettable C-64/Amiga tunes. Maybe they didn't/couldn't have the right equipment at the time or maybe the freedom cd media provided, proved just too much for most game composers...
Old 21 April 2005, 03:37   #10
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer
I think the need to overcome chip limitations led to some unforgettable C-64/Amiga tunes. Maybe they didn't/couldn't have the right equipment at the time or maybe the freedom cd media provided, proved just too much for most game composers...
I think too much freedom caused some game composers to become lazy. Programmers too - look at all the bloated software available today.
Old 02 May 2005, 12:16   #11
derSammler

I vote for Disposable Hero.
Old 02 May 2005, 14:15   #12
robotriot
Tubby mechanical friend

Send a message via ICQ to robotriot
Definetly Skeleton Krew. Most CD music is crap unfortunately, they should've stuck to .mods :/
Old 02 May 2005, 17:09   #13
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
I think too much freedom caused some game composers to become lazy. Programmers too - look at all the bloated software available today.
I think it's mostly a cost issue combined with the timing.
CD32 showleware didn’t get any extra money, so they dumped whatever they had quickly. When the mod with beefed up samplerate rate and good stereo mixing would have been better musically, midi was the practical answer.
A lot of the musicians those days probably didn’t have the equipment to deal with “CD quality” sampling rates unless they had a mac. While a A3000/4000 probably was great for game programming and mods, it’s definitely crap for CD mastering.

For the good/bad musicians
The chip limitation gave that special "synth" feeling and a lot of the music sounded the same due to memory limitation.. For good or bad we got used to it and music you get used to you often like, or at least tolerate. It’s like when you discover those great B tracks from your favourite artist after listening to the album 20+ times.

Modern game music much better (or worse, intrusive for the opposite reason) Nowdays you have some really great composers like Jeremy Soule, Baldurs gate, planscape torment. If you love subtile orchestration pieces and it fits to the game it’s incredible...
However the NFS tracks just makes most above 20+ nauseated.. chewingumskatepunk overcompressed as hell. EA really hits rockbottom.

Last edited by spiff; 02 May 2005 at 23:27.
Old 02 May 2005, 18:04   #14
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
The music in the CD32 version of Kid Chaos rocks, if you have a subwoofer hooked up, it'll get a real good workout. Fightin' Spirit had better music on the CD32 version too, although the floppy version still had vocals in the opening theme song which was quite impressive for an A500 game. I preferred the MOD music in the floppy version of Super Stardust to the CD32 version's music though.
Old 03 May 2005, 01:04   #15
wanderer
I want an A1000

Ok, maybe you'd like to zone your favourites? I'd certainly like to hear from Kid Chaos, Fightin' Spirit and Skeleton Krew, never played them. Anyone knows about Little Divil? I missed that one too, did it have CD audio? It's from Gremlin though which probably means ultra-dull cd music. (Lotus trilogy, The Zool family and dog).
Quote:
Originally posted by WindowsKiller
I vote for Disposable Hero.
I agree! Totally appropriate for that game.
Old 03 May 2005, 01:34   #16
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke
I have uploaded two tracks from Fightin' Spirit
Old 03 May 2005, 01:51   #17
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
I have uploaded two tracks from Fightin' Spirit
Thanks Duke! Just heard them, both cool.
Old 03 May 2005, 10:22   #18
spiff
Oh noes!

Well.. another pretty cool thing it that the music in games we complain about can be replaced with good remixes, or just "surround" mixing nowdays

The CD32 remix project
Old 04 May 2005, 17:13   #19
wanderer
I want an A1000

2 more in the Zone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay
That SleepWalker sample is just, WOW
...and the F&I also cute
Me is a never-owning-cd32 bastard, who wants more nice soundtracks in [theZone!]
There you have it. Catch them while you can.
Old 04 May 2005, 21:40   #20
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Thanks [Duke], almost missed them... phew...

...and yet another thanks to [wanderer] for the cutesy - sweetsy music samples