English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 January 2009, 11:59   #1
pubzombie

commodore emu's on Wii

I know there is a C64 emulator on the Wii download channel with about 16 games. I have heard rumours that there is to also be an Amiga emu on there. Are these just BS or has anybody else heard too?
pub
Old 02 January 2009, 12:04   #2
OddbOd

There have been rumors for at least 2 years but so far they remain just rumors. It's definitely possible as Gouky released UAE4Wii back in November, it already works well enough for many A500 games to be fully playable.

Hopefully we should see a usable homebrew version of Frodo for Wii some time soon, then it's byebye for C64 VC titles.
Old 02 January 2009, 12:08   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
I know there is a C64 emulator on the Wii download channel with about 16 games. I have heard rumours that there is to also be an Amiga emu on there. Are these just BS or has anybody else heard too?
pub
It works well, unless your using component, then the sound goes wierd. Works fine on composite fine, as pointed out in the other thread regarding it.

Its a good start for an Amiga emu on the Wii.
Old 02 January 2009, 12:11   #4
pubzombie

just looked at wiiaue - i am a paper pusher and gamer - how the hell would i get that and my adf's onto the wii? is it possible with a standard set up laptop?
jeeze you guys are rocket scientists
Old 02 January 2009, 12:13   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

???

You need an SD card and an SD card reader just like any other Wii emulator.
Old 02 January 2009, 12:21   #6
pubzombie

ahh ok - sorry i was being dense
Old 02 January 2009, 15:21   #7
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
I have the Amiga emulator running on the HomeBrew channel on my Wii piss easy to get running... Homebrew channel is fabulous!!
Old 02 January 2009, 15:22   #8
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
ahh ok - sorry i was being dense
What about your Wii? is it modded in any way? What Firmware is your Wii?

You need a Wii, that has been TP Hacked or Modchiped.
Old 02 January 2009, 15:55   #9
stainy
Zone Friend

Only softmodded - no hardware... using the TP hack.. which installs the homebrew channel.. then you can download everything from the HB channel.. you need to take the sd card out to put roms and such on.. and some configuring ( like for ftpii ) but for games, apps and emulators just goto HB channel and download and play..
3.4 firmware - in the UK.
Old 02 January 2009, 17:26   #10
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
Only softmodded - no hardware... using the TP hack.. which installs the homebrew channel.. then you can download everything from the HB channel.. you need to take the sd card out to put roms and such on.. and some configuring ( like for ftpii ) but for games, apps and emulators just goto HB channel and download and play..
3.4 firmware - in the UK.
Sorry for confusion, my post was aimed at pubzombie.
Old 02 January 2009, 21:07   #11
pubzombie

hi guys,

i have the standard wii that is on-line and I use virual console etc. what do you mean by home-brew channel? I use it most for retro gaming on Virtual console and the internet channel, and playing my Gamecube games. Therefore i have a gamecube memory card is that usable? will the Wii take SD cards? to be honest the wii is the most least used console/computer in the home. I use my gp2x far far more and have yet to find a wii game other than Res Evil 4 and Umbrella Chronicals that i want to play - its a an underpowered gimick (IMO) that i would like to put to some propper use playing miggy games. can somebody tell what i need to do? do i need it modded?
thanks for your time
pub
Old 02 January 2009, 22:20   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
hi guys,
i have the standard wii that is on-line and I use virual console etc.
Sounds like you have not softmodded your Wii then

Quote:
what do you mean by home-brew channel?
I'm sure you know what a channel is, one of the squares on the Wii startup menu, and I am sure you know what homebrew is too. Once softmodded and installed the Homebrew channel is just like the WiiShop channel (except everything is free) and applications and games can be downloaded over the net to the Flash inside the console.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel

SCUMMVM on the Wii is amazing. The Wiimote is perfect for a point n click adventure

Quote:
will the Wii take SD cards?
Yes and you will need one AND an original copy of Zelda Twilight Princess.

Quote:
I have yet to find a wii game other than Res Evil 4 and Umbrella Chronicals that i want to play
You're mad right?

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Paper Mario
Metroid Prime 3
Zak and Wikki
Medal of Honour Heroes 2
Zelda Twilight Princess
Mario Kart Wii
Guitar Hero
deblob

These are just a few off the top of my head
Old 02 January 2009, 22:35   #13
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Paper Mario
Metroid Prime 3
Zak and Wikki
Medal of Honour Heroes 2
Zelda Twilight Princess
Mario Kart Wii
Guitar Hero
deblob
with the exeption of MoH.H2, these are all very "typical" Nintendo. Maybe pubzombie suffers the same problem as I do with my DS, of just not liking these sorts of titles?
Old 02 January 2009, 23:05   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Zak and Wiki is anything but a standard Nintendo title, it's the closest thing you can come to Monkey Island there is (Except SCUMMVM) and the Wiimote makes it great.

Metroid Prime 3 is as good as any other adventure sci-fi FPS there is on any platform. The puzzles and interesting story mean you hardly notice the gfx are almost a generation behind the 360 & PS3

MOH.H2 has the best control system of any FPS on any system. With or without a Zapper it combines FPS with House of the Dead / Time Crisis type gameplay.

Mario charged soccer is great fun and reminds me loads of Speedball 2 on the miggy.

DeBlob is very cool, unusual.

World of Goo (WiiWare) is an amazing title, again totally different to Nintendo core games, created by a small independent games company I recommend all Wii users to buy this title!

Not a criticism but if you dont like Nintendo-esque titles (which I have to ask why?) then surely getting any Nintendo console is madness?? Nintendo's in-house titles are always much stronger than any 3rd party and all their consoles have a similar feel game style wise. IMHO their main franchises are strong titles with loads of gameplay.

Last edited by alexh; 02 January 2009 at 23:17.
Old 02 January 2009, 23:16   #15
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
And if you dont like Nintendo-esque titles (which I have to ask why?) then surely getting any Nintendo console is madness??
I take an interest in the homebrew scene and most outside-party development, I enjoy collecting machines, and I had the oportunity to pick one up very very cheap. ZXDS for me has been the best thing about the DS... a touch-screen speccy keyboard is very handy if i fancy a game of "The Hobbit"!

I'm sure Nintendo would be the first to admit their titles are primarily driven towards the younger gamer that their rivals, with more recent (obvious) attempts to make the Wii popular with female gamers. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, and there's a few titles i've enjoyed the odd game of, but maybe i'm too much of a "stereotypical male" when it comes to new consoles. I prefer a fun (but not childish) racer, or games like GTA and non-Lego Star Wars games... let's be honest, the xbox or Playstation machines offer more of these, and thus I picked the PS-series, as they've always held me well.

I'm only offering a possible reason why pubzombie said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie
I have yet to find a wii game other than Res Evil 4 and Umbrella Chronicals that i want to play
as i dont find it to be that surprising a comment!
Old 02 January 2009, 23:20   #16
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I like racers, not been a great racer for many years on any platform. They are all "the same" which makes them boring. The only innovation in racers today appears to be updated gfx.

As for games being targeted towards younger players, so what? Doesn't make them any less fun to play! Metroid Prime 3 is as much fun as any other FPS, perhaps even more so due to the puzzle elements.

Star Wars the Force Unleashed isnt too bad on the Wii, it unfortunately looks pretty poor next to its counterparts and has some slowdown in places. They SHOULD have done more to incorporate the Wiimote into the gameplay.

Last edited by alexh; 02 January 2009 at 23:26.
Old 02 January 2009, 23:25   #17
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
I like racers, not been a great racer for many years on any platform.
for me, Outrun 2006 C2C on PS2 and PSP, soon getting a new HD version for the PS3.

3 days ago I played both Motorstorm: Pacific Rim on the PS3, and then Mario Kart on the Wii. Unsurprisingly, i loved the former and hated the latter. This sums it up for me i think!

Quote:
As for games being targeted towards younger players, so what. Doesn't make them any less fun to play.
hmm. personally i dont like feeling patronised by games (i guess that's my own issue) ... but even the "cutsey" games of the old-arcade, or miggy were a lot more satisfying on gamestyle / difficulty. NZS Revolution on the DS is an absolute joke for how easy it is, whilst the A500 version took me over 10 years to get round to completing!

i wouldnt be bothered so much by it alexh, it's only one person's opinion!
Old 02 January 2009, 23:29   #18
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
for me, Outrun 2006 C2C on PS2 and PSP
Outrun 2 on the X-Box 1 is much better. I dunno how but they fubar'd C2C on the X-box 1. I think they were developing the PS2 version and so they back ported the PS2 textures and models instead of using better ones for the more capable hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
NZS Revolution on the DS is an absolute joke for how easy it is, whilst the A500 version took me over 10 years to get round to completing!
Never played it, but if it is anything like the ports to the GBA it was probably written in two weekends by two guys drinking too much coke and smoking things that are illegal in some countries. I've found that several GBA and DS titles, mainly classic ports, should never have gone on sale. They are homebrew titles which should have remained there.

I like people's opinions. Often hearing them makes me look at things differently and sometimes (rarely ) change mine
Old 03 January 2009, 00:33   #19
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
hi guys,

i have the standard wii that is on-line and I use virual console etc. what do you mean by home-brew channel? I use it most for retro gaming on Virtual console and the internet channel, and playing my Gamecube games. Therefore i have a gamecube memory card is that usable? will the Wii take SD cards? to be honest the wii is the most least used console/computer in the home. I use my gp2x far far more and have yet to find a wii game other than Res Evil 4 and Umbrella Chronicals that i want to play - its a an underpowered gimick (IMO) that i would like to put to some propper use playing miggy games. can somebody tell what i need to do? do i need it modded?
thanks for your time
pub
Check out the link alex posted. The Homebrew channel is installed via the twilight princess game. You load a modified save game and simply walk backwards this crashes the game and loads the custom code to install the Homebrew channel.

If you have Firmware 3.4, you may have problems installing it as nintendo stopped the installing of it on 3.4, if I recall correctly. If you had it already installed, you didnt have a problem.
Old 03 January 2009, 00:44   #20
stainy
Zone Friend

It works on 3.4 now.. there`s a beta2 version of the hack .. works a treat !