English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 28 April 2019, 03:10   #1
hth313

Any functional language for the Amiga?

Has anyone used a functional language on the Amiga or have opinions on whether it makes sense?

I googled a bit and found SCM a Scheme implementation http://people.csail.mit.edu/jaffer/SCM.html.

I was thinking of combining it with some C (or C++) to make a real application. A lot of logic and processing would be done in the Scheme and the C side would be mostly responsible for glue towards Amiga APIs.

I have no idea how useful that would be and how well it would work. I should probably go ahead and try it at some point, but I am just curious if anyone has tried this direction and knows anything about it, or know about other alternatives?
Old 28 April 2019, 03:53   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Gambit Scheme is the GPL version of Scheme that NASA used to have on their FTP site for AmigaOS. I don't know if it's any good but it's safe to say that NASA used it.
Old 28 April 2019, 20:08   #3
hth313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Gambit Scheme is the GPL version of Scheme that NASA used to have on their FTP site for AmigaOS. I don't know if it's any good but it's safe to say that NASA used it.
Thank you for the pointer! Gambit looks interesting and is being maintained, SCM seems stale.

It has FFI between C and Scheme and compiles to C, very promising. I built it on my non-Amiga dev machine for a start. To run on Amiga it needs to be ported as it does not seem to know about 68k, but that will be later.

It is released under Apache (or GPL) and can be found at http://gambitscheme.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Now I need to figure out the best way to learn Scheme, the closest I got was Lisp and that was years ago, then I will play a bit with it.