Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Me too? V confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i have no other explanations to this, except 12ns vs 15ns timings:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1783
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1817
both cards have 48.40Mhz frequency and same firmware, however, different memory chips
AdSense AdSense  
Old 16 August 2017, 23:33   #1842
Stedy

Quote:
Me too? V confused.

Am I missing something but after re-building the TF530 design from the Github sources and doing a post layout timing analysis, I get errors, see attached.

Have you tweaked anything in the UCF files for the JED files you supply for different speed bins?

BTW, using faster -7 CPLDs should not matter, you can always go to a faster grade, never a slower one as the part number details the maximum speed, which this design should not hit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tf530_RAM_timing_failures.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	54237  
Old 17 August 2017, 07:07   #1843
Tachyon
OG Amiga user

Tin Whiskers

Reason 103 I don't use lead free solder. ;')

https://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/photos/index.html
Old 17 August 2017, 08:24   #1844
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
Am I missing something but after re-building the TF530 design from the Github sources and doing a post layout timing analysis, I get errors, see attached.

Have you tweaked anything in the UCF files for the JED files you supply for different speed bins?

BTW, using faster -7 CPLDs should not matter, you can always go to a faster grade, never a slower one as the part number details the maximum speed, which this design should not hit.
In my case 7ns cpld's isn't working of fully populated board. Withiut FPU it kinda works, however, i can not run any programs/games
Old 17 August 2017, 09:43   #1845
plasmab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post

Nope. I just specked the clock timings. I ramped them up as the clocks go up. The 530 source on GitHub is old.

Virtually everything in the design is synced off clock edges so I'm confused.

I call BS on the speed differences with different RAM speeds because the RAM doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with the timing acknowledge. That's completely fixed by the CPLD. I could believe that you may be able to run faster clocks but you haven't done the test you think you have if try different ram speeds and get different answers. Repeat the test 20 times for each and take an average and I bet you get the same.

Old 17 August 2017, 20:38   #1846
oggie

Quote:
Nope. I just specked the clock timings. I ramped them up as the clocks go up. The 530 source on GitHub is old.

Virtually everything in the design is synced off clock edges so I'm confused.

I call BS on the speed differences with different RAM speeds because the RAM doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with the timing acknowledge. That's completely fixed by the CPLD. I could believe that you may be able to run faster clocks but you haven't done the test you think you have if try different ram speeds and get different answers. Repeat the test 20 times for each and take an average and I bet you get the same.

If the source on github is old, are you planning on updating it? How do we get the most recent? Search this thread?

Thanks
Old 17 August 2017, 22:41   #1847
plasmab

Terrible Fire Accelerators

The jeds are up to date. The actions of various folk rerouting my boards has made me rethink my open source policy.

Essentially I would be happy with someone deriving a new product that adds value .. but a "look at me.. I can make a board and pretend I designed it" annoys me enough that I'm making people comprehend the HDL side of things to hit 50Mhz. Not just recompile my work and pretend they did it

The core is there if you want to derive and the jeds are there if you want to manufacture. But if you want your own design you'll need to understand it all

Old 17 August 2017, 22:49   #1848
Chucky

I understand what you are saying.. but hey.. most of us now know that this stuff is yours.. and they are just morons..
Old Yesterday, 00:54   #1849
Xicorpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Reason 103 I don't use lead free solder. ;')

https://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/photos/index.html
Mind blowing, will have that in mind for my next doomsday device ....
Old Yesterday, 06:26   #1850
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

@Stephen:
As far i know - only Keeper2k has rerouted Your board making 4 layered one..
Did You tried ISSI memory on Rev.3? I didn't understood what do You mean, saying this board doesn't work on the last stream..No memory detected? CPU isn't booting?
Old Yesterday, 08:02   #1851
plasmab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
@Stephen:
As far i know - only Keeper2k has rerouted Your board making 4 layered one..
Did You tried ISSI memory on Rev.3? I didn't understood what do You mean, saying this board doesn't work on the last stream..No memory detected? CPU isn't booting?

Others have rerouted the TF530. They've taken copyright notices off too. But if they've changed the CPLD pinouts they're stuck at 20Mhz and if they haven't I can force them to open their sources.

I started to build a Rev 3 but I think I fried the clock circuit or I've got a short somewhere. CPU isn't starting... haven't had time to debug.

Old Yesterday, 13:39   #1852
Black68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Flibble View Post
Just a quick update, I built up one of the relocator boards - it's a touch tricky soldering around the socket overlap, but do-able with plenty of flux and going sparingly with the solder.

You might need to bend/resolder the cap at C816 otherwise it'll stop the board going into the cpu socket properly, but clearance looks good up to the big caps at the top of the board.

Just going to check clearance for closing the case now...

Edit: Looks good - keyboard is well clear, no issues closing the case - pics to follow.

Edit 2: Pics attached.
Would it be possible to buy one riser PCB from yours? Thanks in advance!
AdSense AdSense