English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 July 2013, 18:35   #21
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
What's the prob with Mediator, vitux?
(next is offtopic, finns might find this amusing )
Old 31 July 2013, 19:08   #22
vitux
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
What's the prob with Mediator, vitux?
(next is offtopic, finns might find this amusing )
Impressive, vituxman, that's me!

What's the prob with Mediator?
Vah, I opened a thread about it. Already I will solve it

Last edited by vitux; 31 July 2013 at 21:18.
Old 31 July 2013, 19:53   #23
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Ahh, I forgot about that one
Old 03 August 2013, 15:41   #24
delshay

There were two maybe three type of heatsink made for Blizzard card. The extra alloy plate is not present on some heatsink this was down to what type of processor was present QFP or BGA.

It seems to save money the heatsink were made for QFP but when a BGA 603e was fitted they simply filled in the gap with a alloy plate.

Changing it to copper looks so cool impressive,however if copper heatsink is added to Bvision care must be taken as the weigh could put too much stress on the Bvision connector.

Last edited by delshay; 03 August 2013 at 20:30.
Old 03 August 2013, 16:12   #25
delshay

NOTE: when the original Phase 5/DCE heatsink is fitted the heatsink itself is grounded by the spring clips,how important this is, is unknown at this time.

Last edited by delshay; 03 August 2013 at 20:32.
Old 04 August 2013, 17:14   #26
vitux
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by delshay View Post
NOTE: when the original Phase 5/DCE heatsink is fitted the heatsink itself is grounded by the spring clips,how important this is, is unknown at this time.
Thx for info
is dangerous it has been removed?
So, should go back, to put the original heat sink?
Old 04 August 2013, 18:06   #27
Jope
-

As long as you have a sufficiently sized heat sink there, I don't really see why it HAS to be the original.

The grounding part is probably also not all that important, probably just a coincidence of the mounting method.
Old 04 August 2013, 19:16   #28
delshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
As long as you have a sufficiently sized heat sink there, I don't really see why it HAS to be the original.

The grounding part is probably also not all that important, probably just a coincidence of the mounting method.
That's incorrect,the grounding is intentional,look carefully where the spring clips wrap around you will see it has gold contacts if I remember correctly.

The small chip under the heatsink,it is recommended to somehow keep this cool along with the other three on the other side.

Last edited by delshay; 04 August 2013 at 19:28.
Old 04 August 2013, 19:48   #29
delshay

If the card is working,then its probably best to leave it as it is than risk taking it apart again.

ALL MODIFICATION AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Old 04 August 2013, 19:58   #30
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Quote:
ALL MODIFICATION AT YOUR OWN RISK.
No shite!?
Old 04 August 2013, 20:23   #31
Jope
-

Quote:
That's incorrect,the grounding is intentional,look carefully where the spring clips wrap around you will see it has gold contacts if I remember correctly.
Yes, because the clips happen to attach to the circuit board and the board happens to be plated. The PPC chip itself does not conduct electricity to the heat sink.

An example from a different piece of electronics:

One of my PC motherboards has a small heat sink on top of the north bridge. It's held down by a metal clip that hooks under two metal loops that have been soldered to the motherboard beside the chip.

Those loops are grounded, and as a result the heat sink is also grounded. Yet it doesn't make any difference to the operation of the computer whether that heat sink is grounded or not - it is just a byproduct of the way they designed the attachments for the heat sink clip.

So, again, I say coincidence.

Last edited by Jope; 04 August 2013 at 20:29.
Old 04 August 2013, 21:02   #32
delshay

Your PC and Blizzard card are probably built at different time.

If Blizzard card is fitted in a tower then this is probably fine, but in a desktop it may be more acceptable to RF noise and not forgetting static electricity where some user may operate their computer on the carpet.

The heatsink also covers the QFP contacts which also has direct contact to the BGA CPU (if fitted)

So which one would you choose?
Old 04 August 2013, 22:02   #33
Jope
-

Quote:
Your PC and Blizzard card are probably built at different time.
So what. For this intent and purpose, the two devices are comparable.

Quote:
If Blizzard card is fitted in a tower then this is probably fine, but in a desktop it may be more acceptable to RF noise
A grounded heat sink does not make any difference to RF shielding. If you wanted that, the entire turbo card would need to be enclosed in a metal faraday cage, like the A1200 motherboard was when it came out of the factory.. And even the A1200 mobo doesn't REALLY need to be enclosed in metal in order to function reliably - they did that so that they could pass American FCC emission standards.

Merely placing a grounded aluminium slab on top of a few chips won't make a significant rf shielding effect.

Quote:
and not forgetting static electricity where some user may operate their computer on the carpet.
Are you serious? So they'd first shuffle their feet on the carpet, then lift the computer up a bit, open the trap door and discharge their bodies to the heat sink by touching it?

Or what static electricity based scenario did you have in mind? Doesn't make an ounce of difference.

Quote:
The heatsink also covers the QFP contacts which also has direct contact to the BGA CPU (if fitted)
So what? Makes the same amount of difference if you open an umbrella and fasten it to the table so that it covers the QFP contacts when the card is placed underneath it. No further benefit will be gained.

Quote:
So which one would you choose?
I would not ground it.

http://www.learnemc.com/tutorials/gu...lines_Not.html
Old 04 August 2013, 22:21   #34
vitux
Banned

Oops! my BPPC seems to work well. So hot in my city and Blizardppc with the new fan does not crash (for hours) but I'm in doubt.

delshay: I found this old post of yours:
"scsi chip is another problem when overclocking, but under testing this chip runs cool, the problem Seems to be with another chip this is located under the heatsink near tha fan hole, this needs to be comfirmed as to where the heat is coming from, as it May be due to other chips near by Which Make This chip run very hot (DO NOT ADD A HEATSINK TO THIS cHIP).

if found to run very hot This Will Be the 2nd chip under the heatsink That cooling needs."

You mean the chip on the opposite side of the heatsink?

My BPPC not overclock, but that chip becomes very hot, flaring. I put a heatsink, but you recommend do not put it. If it is this, I will remove.
With original heatsink is heated equal?

My Bppc is for tower
Old 04 August 2013, 23:24   #35
delshay

You will have no problems with SCSI chip as your card is not overclocked. If your card was overclocked from what I have detected here it was never a heat problem but then again my set-up is different as I have a desktop A1200 and have solved the heat problem some time ago,so here I have no heatsink attached to SCSI chip. The problem was when card was overclocked to much.
Old 05 August 2013, 00:02   #36
delshay

If I remember correctly not all of the gold exposed contact around the board is connected to ground,so if it was not required phase 5 could have left it out,but its there and its here on my card and it works flawless. I can leave it running for days with no hint of any lock-ups.

Some users have modified trapdoor or no trapdoor at all. Operating the card with no trapdoor is not recommended as it exposes the card.

If you want to leave the ground contact out which may have been there, then thats your business and you can not compare a Blizzard card to a PC there two different product.

If heatsink did not need to be grounded then their could have mounted differently,but the "fact" is its there and I would not be surprised if most Blizzard users are aware it is there and you post as if you know whats best of this card. Blizzard card is different (dual processes) so what works for one user may not work for others.

This is why I sometimes post ALL MODIFICATION AT YOUR OWN RISK what users take out or put in is down to what their want.

@jope

Last edited by delshay; 05 August 2013 at 00:47.
Old 05 August 2013, 08:33   #37
Jope
-

Believe what you want. :-D

For this intent and purpose, the coincidental grounding of heat sinks in both electronics devices amounts to the same thing: they're grounded, but it doesn't make any difference. The comparison is valid. The Blizzard PPC is not magical, it is an electronic device that is subject to the same physics as every other piece of electronics.

Phase 5 were not somehow more ingenious than anyone else, there is no magic secret ingredient at play here.

If you can dig out some data sheets or similar documentation about why someone would recommend to ground a PPC heat sink, I'll make sure to read them and see if my opinion needs to be revised. For now, the counter argumentation I've seen is not convincing.

Last edited by Jope; 05 August 2013 at 08:44.
Old 05 August 2013, 10:45   #38
roy bates

the heatsink doesent need to be grounded,its not a coincidence its clamped through ground planes at the same time.
the clips go through the pcb,so what do you think would happen if it went through anything else other than a ground plane.
its not really that difficult to understand why they did it that way.
Old 05 August 2013, 21:06   #39
delshay

It will be interesting to know if the Cyberstorm has this too. I also have some old MAC motherboards I will check when I have time to see if their are also grounded.

Just to clear things up, I am not recommending anyone to ground their heatsink, I was just pointing it out that's its already present done by the manufacture.

Last edited by delshay; 05 August 2013 at 21:15.
Old 06 August 2013, 01:48   #40
vitux
Banned

So is cuestion to put or not put clips.
Well maybe I can put one of the clips between the bridles, to make contact.
I also believe, the original heat sink advantage is that the small fan cools the others chips (by heatsink cavity)
Thanks for the tips guys