English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 August 2015, 23:16   #1
Zak
Zap´em

Sensible World of Soccer Tutorial needed

Is there a Tutorial for SWOS somewhere? I like Goal!, but other mates prefer SWOS and I got to begin learning it.

I´ve been playing like 50 friendly matches right now, scoring one single goal, even losing 4-0 with Bayern Munich to Dnepropetrovsk.

Need a hint on how to score goals. The player doesn´t even shoot when I press the button and if he does, the goalkeeper has it safe in 99,9% times.
Old 02 August 2015, 23:20   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Sensible Soccer 92 - 97 (Amiga) - A Playguide and Review - by LemonAmiga.com [ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 August 2015, 00:01   #3
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Sensible Soccer 92 - 97 (Amiga) - A Playguide and Review - by LemonAmiga.com [ Show youtube player ]
Thanks for this review and quick response. I have been watching it completely, but that guy only says "it´s hard to score" and it seems he is as bad as I am.
Old 03 August 2015, 00:20   #4
zardoz
Zone Friend

Yeah I played loads of Sensi Soccer back in the day, plays just as well on an emulator - goals galore when you work out how to bend the ball. Never got anywhere with SWOS. Did they make the goal keepers better?

So I can't help with SWOS but pick up an original version of Sensible Soccer (I had the '94 edition) and load up the custom teams for some fun.
Old 03 August 2015, 00:46   #5
nandius_c
Fernando Cabrera

The most important thing, I think, is knowing how to bend the ball. Sometimes it's not necessary to shot close to the posts or the crossbar, and a little effect can be enough to beat the goalie. Another way is shooting straight and close to one of the posts or doing a diagonal shot to one of the sides of the goalie. Good luck!
Old 03 August 2015, 01:41   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Best way to score is to play the ball diagonally across the box and volley it in to the near side post with your striker.

Curve shots work, but they are not always effective, the best goalkeepers will save many of them.
Old 03 August 2015, 05:41   #7
Amiga1992

Practice, man! There weren't "tutorials" back in the day. Keep it oldschool and keep at it
Steve gives good advice, I will add that there are certain "hot points" on the field where you can more easily score. Also try to pass the ball around quite a bit, dribbling is a bitch and I never quite got the hang of it.

And if you are losing matches 4 nil, I will suggest also to get better at defending to start with. I'm a lot better at defending than I am at at scoring I have to admit!
Old 03 August 2015, 06:43   #8
ransom1122

Pass the ball to a player on the wing from center kick off. Kick the ball with a lob and a curve and you will score a goal from just past the center line.
One of my all time favorite shots in swos.

Otherwise lob the ball from the corner area and get a player to do a flying header into goal.
Old 03 August 2015, 10:26   #9
edd_jedi

Yeah I also find SWOS particularly hard. I don't consider myself an expert but in the earlier versions I can at least score goals and win some games, but likewise I don't think I've ever even managed to score in SWOS!
Old 03 August 2015, 10:55   #10
Daedalus

It's all about the practice. Start with friendlies with the odds stacked in your favour (Brazil Vs. the Faroe Islands for example) as the goalkeeper skill changes in line with the skill of the real-life counterpart. If the keeper is still saving them, are you playing with a stick that has autofire? Holding down the fire button shoots while tapping it passes, but if your stick has autofire functions it's possible that holding the button is seen as a series of taps, resulting in a pass which is very easy for the keeper to save.

One thing to work on (and there aren't really that many control techniques in SWOS) is the aftertouch. Moving the stick after you press fire but before the ball releases bends the ball in that direction. The sooner after the button is pressed, the stronger the bend. Moving the stick away from the ball direction lifts it up higher, pushing it in the ball's direction keeps it low to the ground. Timing is tricky, but once you get the hang of it it's very intuitive.
Old 03 August 2015, 14:50   #11
ransom1122

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
It's all about the practice. Start with friendlies with the odds stacked in your favour (Brazil Vs. the Faroe Islands for example) as the goalkeeper skill changes in line with the skill of the real-life counterpart. If the keeper is still saving them, are you playing with a stick that has autofire? Holding down the fire button shoots while tapping it passes, but if your stick has autofire functions it's possible that holding the button is seen as a series of taps, resulting in a pass which is very easy for the keeper to save.

One thing to work on (and there aren't really that many control techniques in SWOS) is the aftertouch. Moving the stick after you press fire but before the ball releases bends the ball in that direction. The sooner after the button is pressed, the stronger the bend. Moving the stick away from the ball direction lifts it up higher, pushing it in the ball's direction keeps it low to the ground. Timing is tricky, but once you get the hang of it it's very intuitive.
Couldn't have said it any better. Nice.
Old 03 August 2015, 18:41   #12
Zak
Zap´em

Thanks for you all. I will go on practising.
Old 05 August 2015, 15:27   #13
RetroPaul

I never played SWOS back in the day as i sold my A500 and replaced it with a CD32 and sadly it was never released on that. I did play the CD32 World Championship edition to death though and got very proficient at scoring from all over the place. Infact to make it a challenge my goto team was San Marino and i could beat any computer controlled team with ease.

When they re-released SWOS for the Xbox 360 i bought it straight away and found i was pretty good at that aswell, it's very rare to beat any keeper with a straight shot up the field, but like other have said a bit of aftertouch on a diagonal shot and the goals go in fairly easily with practice. Certainly a lot more difficult to score than classic Sensi though, and the differences in the teams are much more obvious.

I do remeber beating Nigeria 50-0 in a 6 minute game back in the day, there was a bug that on kick off as long as the ball didnt go past a point in your half the match wouldn't end, and the Nigeria goalie was hopeless. I also remember a never ending penalty shootout, where basically the goalie couldn't save it, in the end it had to lose the match by hoofing it over the bar... Ahh the memories

Last edited by RetroPaul; 05 August 2015 at 16:48.
Old 07 August 2015, 21:32   #14
Zak
Zap´em

I mostly play the 1994 SWOS version. I bend the ball like hell, so much so that I hear my gamepad crack, but nothing. No goals at all. Brazil - Myanmar 0:1

I´ll put this on my list of most frustrating games. I can´t understand the lists, where people rate this as best Amiga game ever. Goal! is so much better and more playable.
Old 07 August 2015, 21:46   #15
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Thee best way to start is a career in the lower English league. Nice and slow pace. Should be easier for beginners.
Old 18 August 2015, 00:10   #16
Zak
Zap´em

I can´t do any of these:

[ Show youtube player ]

Maybe the 96 version is really different? Gotta try.

Edit: Nope, it´s the same crap.

Last edited by Zak; 18 August 2015 at 00:35.
Old 18 August 2015, 01:20   #17
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
so much so that I hear my gamepad crack
Try it with a joystick maybe... And, are you using a CD32 joypad? Because the D-pad on that is ridiculously bad, so much so that it might actually be the cause of the problem.
Old 18 August 2015, 12:50   #18
Macca
Zone Friend

Easiest way by far is from a corner. Just hold down the fire button to put it in and then diving head at the front post. Probably score 3 out of 5 that way.

Other than that it's just practice.

One other thing is in the options menu. If you have 'all teams equal' then it won't matter on the sides as such.

M.
Old 20 June 2018, 22:50   #19
Zak
Zap´em

I am playing with WinUAE (got no space to set up real Amigas).

I noticed that not only I can't do aftertouch in SWOS but neither in Total Football and I wonder if there is something wrong with the settings or with WinUAE.

But everything is fine with aftertouch in Goal!. Weird.
Old 22 June 2018, 22:37   #20
van_dammesque

SWOS keepers were beefed up, so normal scoring has been made harder.

What teams are you playing with? In SWOS try and use a player that has the 'V' in their attributes. (V = velocity = power, very important!)

This website is good for players in SWOS.

Swerving the ball is easy, in SWOS the key is to not serve it too much!

There are numerous ways to score, assuming you are kicking upwards on the screen:
Lobs:
(a) Short lob, UP+FIRE, then short BACK when kicked. Be in line close to either of the goalposts, getting the ball to enter the goal in the upper corner. Practice the distance. Keepers, must usually be in the center.

(b) Long lob, UP+FIRE, then long BACK when kicked. Be in line close to either of the goalposts as above, getting the ball to enter the goal in the upper corner. Practice the distance. Keepers, must usually be in the center.

Straight shots:
(c) Best way is to score is to approach the goal and jig the player to slightly offset the approach path (requires good control of the player, C = control.) to trick the keeper.
A normal shot to score would require the keeper to have been busy (i.e. just saved a shot) or close to the keeper (expect an odd lag when pressing fire if you are too close!).

Swerves:
(d) Facing straight, be offset to the goal posts, the distance will depend on the V-power of the striker, the more it is the further back you can shoot.
With lower V-power, be closer to the center (and even closer obviously).

(e) Facing diagonal, as above but outward curling is more beneficial.

To swerve, UP+FIRE-then hold FIRE and release UP immediately- LEFT or RIGHT.
Holding time for LEFT or RIGHT will serve the ball more or less.
(Diagonal is harder)

(f) Short and long lobs as per (e) but only to compensate your position as per (a) and (b).

Corners:
(f) Hold FIRE (do not swerve). The ball will land to the player closest to the first post. As soon as you have kicked the ball, DOWN+LEFT or RIGHT (so a corner is on the right, the it will be DOWN+RIGHT). Then UP+LEFT or RIGHT to head the ball into the goal (so a corner is on the right, the it will be UP+LEFT).

I may do a youtube video of these goals!

The only thing I can not do on demand is the standing header, anyone?

I used to have a save game, I was Hartlepool (lowest in English Div) got promoted every season, then won everything soon after. Went seasons without having a goal scored against me and won and average of say 6-0, best 12-0. (Standard time).

Note: You only get 25 seasons in career mode.

Now within WinUAE I have started again, in the second season in the Prem now and going for league win!

PS Gordon Watson from Southampton at 950k is probably the best striker in the game. Scored over 150/per season with this guy, he only ever reached 1.2M

Last edited by van_dammesque; 22 June 2018 at 22:45.