English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 05 July 2007, 08:38   #1
fc.studio
Cat lover

Alien Bash

Please could anyone from the WHDLoad team try to install Alien Bash?
It's a full PD Game, the prequel of Alien Bash 2.

http://hol.abime.net/5405

It was included in The One 57 June 1993 disk B

http://amr.abime.net/issue_340_coverdisks

It would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05 July 2007, 14:04   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

OK I've installed the game and seems to work OK. So far just an infinite credits and a "view end sequence" tooltype for cheating. But it's too late tonight to package it up. If you could make some nice 120x96 icons (32 cols max each frame, with colour 0 an unused colour like purple or lime) that would certainly speed up the process...
Old 05 July 2007, 16:26   #3
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quick work CT.

I've made many icons for my packs but they don't meet your strict quality standards I'm afraid
Old 05 July 2007, 20:40   #4
fc.studio
Cat lover

Many many thanks.

Unfortunately for icon I'm a terrible designer and I don't know where to start too.

However I appreciate your work so much !! ... and thanks again to be so quick...
Old 06 July 2007, 14:32   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Just get the title screen and iconify it
Old 08 July 2007, 08:21   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Check the zone for the fully installed game, and the Alien Bash installer from the WHDLoad site.

Last edited by Codetapper; 08 July 2007 at 10:20. Reason: Added link to the WHDLoad install
Old 08 July 2007, 11:26   #7
fc.studio
Cat lover

Thanks, very kind. Just downloaded. I'll try on my real A1200 as soon as possible.
Old 08 July 2007, 12:55   #8
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Wahey, nice work sir.

Quite a few updates I see, I should be busy today
Old 02 August 2007, 15:07   #9
ggg

Hi There,

I was bored at work today and googled alienbash just to see what came up (as I wrote it) and was surprised that there are still people keeping it alive - so I thought I'd post just to say thanks - I'm glad people out there like it enough to go to the effort of including it in packs and creating icons for it.

What surprises me is that when I released the game into the public domain I did so with all the source code and its (extensive) map editor - I was kinda hoping that the code might get re-used or extended (as its was getting the graphics done that limited the game) I guess the P.D house just chucked those disks away!

Anyway thanks again

Glen

Old 02 August 2007, 15:32   #10
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
What surprises me is that when I released the game into the public domain I did so with all the source code and its (extensive) map editor - I was kinda hoping that the code might get re-used or extended (as its was getting the graphics done that limited the game) I guess the P.D house just chucked those disks away!
Hi there Glen, welcome to the board!!

What language did you code Alien Bash in? Devpac assembler? Do you still have the source code/map editor or has it been lost forever? I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would love to play around with it.
Old 02 August 2007, 17:25   #11
ggg

Hey Steve,

It was all written in 68000 using devpac - I can't even comprehend doing that now - I remember the only way I could debug stuff was to change the colour of the screen depending on which code branch it took - man it was a nightmare pulling the bugs out of it (and bad crashes would frequently corrupt my harddisk). This was before I was on the internet so it was a case of working out how to do everything myself - took a long time as I had a full time job and so would code in the evening's and weekends (I was about 22 when I started it - 36 now!)

I actually hated the game, I didn't enjoy playing it - it never had the feel that I wanted. Towards the end I wanted to turn it into an rpg and have linkable maps and make it a little more zelda like but Myles who was doing the graphics didn't want to - he was a very reluctant artist - the game engine itself was finished in 1994 - it took 2 years to get the graphics set and the levels finished (we would meet up every 2 weeks and work on levels) - can't blame him it was torturous and he was doing it all for free!

I probably have the source code and everything on my old Amiga 500 - and I have a huge collection of source code disks - including lots of demo's that me and a friend used to write (not very good ones) - and a really cool 1200 platform game that we modeled on super mario (50fps, parallax scrolling - really nice) - never finished (another long story). I've given away my 1200 (had 2 - one blew up and I had to buy another just to finish alienbash2) - so I've lost a lot of source code and stuff. If anyone wants my A500 (with harddisk) and a collection of disks they are welcome to it (been in my loft for 8 years) - collection only!

The original alien bash took me and a friend only 2 weeks to write (and it shows) - that was in 1990 - we held onto it for years before sending it to PD as we thought it was crap - it was an in-joke to make ABII a sequel to it - even the original name was a joke.

Man I loved my Amiga's (had 4 in the end) - I hate to think of how much time I spent working on stuff - never good enough to be a proper games programmer - now I just work on c++/java etc snore...

I really wish that I had a few other things out there that I was prouder of!

This has been very cathartic .....

Glen

Old 03 August 2007, 02:24   #12
BippyM
Global Moderator

You could still get back into coding Amiga

It's not over until it's over, and with forums like this it wont be over soon
Old 03 August 2007, 15:18   #13
ggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
You could still get back into coding Amiga
^^^
Those days are over I'm afraid - what I find really annoying is that since ending my Amiga programming I've done lots of embedded interrupt based coding (at work) which now makes me realize how I underused the Amiga at the time - all due to lack of experience really (and getting fed up with constant guru's when trying to get interrupt based blit lists working!)

It's not over until it's over, and with forums like this it wont be over soon
^^^
Its nice to know the Amiga lives on - if only the 1200 had been given 8 sound channels, 64 (16 colour) hardware sprites and (256 colour) byte per pixel mode I think things would have been different.

Glen