English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 January 2007, 15:46   #1
Alyria

WinUAE 1.3.4 hard hangs

After about half an hour of using WinUAE 1.3.4 it hangs the entire system, necessitating a reboot of the IBM-PC.

It seems recent versions of WinUAE have been getting worse rather than better; this is similar to when Brian King was working on it. Bugs which have been reported have even not been documented let alone fixed, and serious new bugs are being introduced at an alarming rate.

I get the feeling Toni does not care much about the quality of this emulator as he seems quite willing to let it get more and more bugridden and pretend that he is "improving" it. The only significant change I've noticed in the latest versions is extra bugs, certainly the compatibility is no better and the stability is much worse.

Old 03 January 2007, 18:09   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I recommend buying a new PC.
Old 03 January 2007, 18:34   #3
Dizzy
Pirate

I would recommend bying an amiga, the best way to play amiga-games
Old 03 January 2007, 18:47   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
It seems recent versions of WinUAE have been getting worse rather than better
I second that and it's NOT meant to offend you Toni as UAE is an impressive piece of software. Yet, I have gone back to using v1.2.0. as that version doesn't freeze like the new versions. I am using UAE mostly for coding some stuff and it's a bit annoying always having to kill UAE and restart it instead of just resetting the emulated Amiga once my code bugs out. I can send you a piece of code that triggers the bug if you are interested.
Old 03 January 2007, 19:46   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
I second that and it's NOT meant to offend you Toni as UAE is an impressive piece of software. Yet, I have gone back to using v1.2.0. as that version doesn't freeze like the new versions. I am using UAE mostly for coding some stuff and it's a bit annoying always having to kill UAE and restart it instead of just resetting the emulated Amiga once my code bugs out. I can send you a piece of code that triggers the bug if you are interested.
You should have reported it months ago then

I don't use WinUAE much for anything serious, just for games and demos mainly which can explain why all productive stuff can easily blow up..
Old 03 January 2007, 20:07   #6
Mclane
Old retro god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyria
I get the feeling Toni does not care much about the quality of this emulator as he seems quite willing to let it get more and more bugridden and pretend that he is "improving" it. The only significant change I've noticed in the latest versions is extra bugs, certainly the compatibility is no better and the stability is much worse.
Blimey Toni, you uncaring poor quality coder.

I think he's calling you a 'lamer'...
Old 03 January 2007, 20:20   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
You should have reported it months ago then
Well, I don't exactly know when it appeared first, I think it was in 1.3.3. I somehow hoped it would disappear in the new version as it often was the case with some obscure UAE bugs. Seems this time tho, the bug is still there. UAE freezes to the point of no return, i.e. F12 doesn't bring back the GUI anymore etc. Seems like UAE hangs in some endless loop as it consumes about all available CPU time. Only killing it with the taskmanager is possible. If some code that reliable reproduces this bug would help you, I can send it to you.
Old 03 January 2007, 20:20   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclane
Blimey Toni, you uncaring poor quality coder.

I think he's calling you a 'lamer'...
I guess he didn't tried a lot of games. The chipset & sound timings for some games are much better than before.
Old 03 January 2007, 20:38   #9
Mclane
Old retro god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
I guess he didn't tried a lot of games. The chipset & sound timings for some games are much better than before.
Well unless Toni is making stuff up as the fixes and additions list for every release is huge, so I presume it's items being made 'better' rather than Toni sabotaging the code.

Obviously I'm being sarcastic and ironic but the way the original posters comments were written it was entirely negative..
Old 03 January 2007, 21:16   #10
rsn8887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyria
The only significant change I've noticed in the latest versions is extra bugs, certainly the compatibility is no better and the stability is much worse.
Did you read the changelogs? Are you accusing Toni of lying about those changes and fixes? Did you actually try out some problematic games and demos with the different versions?

How can you complain about having an actively developed, evolving (and certainly improving) emulator?

Why did you not report the bug you mentioned during the beta experiment, if you care that much?

It's a free piece of software! Nobody forces you to use the newest version. So don't, if you don't like it. The former releases are even archived at www.winuae.net, something most developers don't offer at all!

I don't see what the problem is... unless you really want WinUAE dead and buried.
Old 03 January 2007, 21:17   #11
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Well unless Toni is making stuff up as the fixes and additions list for every release is huge, so I presume it's items being made 'better' rather than Toni sabotaging the code.

Obviously I'm being sarcastic and ironic but the way the original posters comments were written it was entirely negative..
But i can't read the whining anymore. He codes this emulator in his spare time, only for our please. But i guess some people can't appreciate this. Without WinUAE i couldn't talk about Amiga games anymore. I've sold my A1200 back in 1996, unfortunately.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 03 January 2007 at 21:34.
Old 03 January 2007, 21:47   #12
Mclane
Old retro god.

Quote:
But i can't read the whining anymore. He codes this emulator in his spare time, only for our please. But i guess some people can't appreciate this. Without WinUAE i couldn't talk about Amiga games anymore. I've sold my A1200 back in 1996, unfortunately.
Same here, I loved my Amiga but things had to go.

Like you, if it were not for WinUAE I'd have no real Amiga contact so seeing someone make rather ill supported comments just made my blood boil a little. Toni as you say works on this for nothing, his time, his hard work and the quality is superb.
Old 03 January 2007, 21:49   #13
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
I've sold my A1200 back in 1996, unfortunately.

Quote:
Same here, I loved my Amiga but things had to go.

Shame on you 2
Old 03 January 2007, 22:16   #14
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Quote:

Toni does what I would never be able to do: program. And he has programmed something every Amiga emulator fan should enjoy and understand that there's going to be bugs. Nothing is perfect. Not even on a real Amiga.
Old 03 January 2007, 22:20   #15
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by boing_1000
Nothing is perfect. Not even on a real Amiga.
Especially the ESCOM ones.
Old 03 January 2007, 22:24   #16
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boing_1000
Nothing is perfect.
ME

and windows XP
Old 03 January 2007, 22:25   #17
Mclane
Old retro god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy

Shame on you 2
LOL...I'd love to still have my trusty old A1200, 68030, 8meg, 80mb hd but I'd also still love to have my 2 old C64, my 4 Atari 8bit 800 / XL / XE computers with their disk drives, my SNes, My Megadrive, my ZX80 & 81, my (large list of items)...

I think you can see that I ran out of room and my wife ran out of patience
Old 03 January 2007, 22:26   #18
Mclane
Old retro god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
ME

and windows XP
So that's a one out of two then (in XP's favour )
Old 03 January 2007, 22:31   #19
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
I think you can see that I ran out of room and my wife ran out of patience
hehehe know the situation, my office is very messy, she dont want any of my old retro stuff anywhere but in my office, and if you ask her everything would be dumb in the garbagecan but then she would go the same way
Old 03 January 2007, 22:34   #20
Alyria

No, I haven't used the new version for playing many games. I'm sure there are some compatibility improvements but it is important to be careful not to introduce bugs in parts of the emulator that were working fine.

I don't see the point in buying a new PC, there is nothing wrong with mine. All the other software I run on it works perfectly. Are you suggesting that there is a problem with my hardware? I don't see how you reached that conclusion. It's annoying that you are not making any effort to investigate the problem, when other people in this thread have reported very similar problems...obviously it's not just my machine.

If you are not able to fix a particular bug, after actually investigating the problem, that is understandable, but how hard is it to at least document bugs? The list of known bugs at the site doesn't incorporate many of the bugs which have been reported at EAB and not fixed. Making flippant remarks and then not bothering to even list the bug let alone diagnose it let alone fix it is not very good.