English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 May 2003, 22:27   #1
Quader

Other Cartridges then AReplay with WinUAE

Got a Question,
i have an "Action Cartridge Super IV professional" from GameWorks for Amiga500/+.

Can i dump the Rom out of this Cartridge for WinUAE-usage and will that work with WinUAE or is only Action Replay working?
Thanks
Old 14 May 2003, 19:35   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Only Action Replay 1, 2 and 3 are supported.
I can try to add support if someone can donate/borrow the cartridge. Do you have any information about the cartridge like images, documentation etc..?
Old 14 May 2003, 19:49   #3
Quader

I got a disk that came with it, but this is copyprotected. On it is the user manual as text file. i try to get only the textfile off that disk and send it to you.

What do you mean with image? can i read the rom out with some tools? sending the whole hardware would be a bit to complicated, because i live in germany.
But if there's a way to dump the rom out in a file, i can send it to you. If you like i can also send you a photo of it so you can look and say if this is possible from groundup, because there is also a slow-down-wheel on it and led's.
Thanks for your interest
Old 14 May 2003, 21:10   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I got a disk that came with it, but this is copyprotected
Hmm.. I don't see point in copyprotecting disk containing documentation about hardware. I think dumping it with CAPS dumping tool could reveal something interesting..

Unfortunately I don't have any ideas for dumping the rom. Does it really have build-in rom, not loadable firmware? (I think I read about cartridge that was software updatable or something ages ago..)

Quote:
If you like i can also send you a photo of it so you can look and say if this is possible from groundup, because there is also a slow-down-wheel on it and led's.
That would be great.

Quote:
sending the whole hardware would be a bit to complicated, because i live in germany.
Complicated? It only costs more
Old 14 May 2003, 22:56   #5
IFW

Quote:
Originally posted by Toni Wilen
Hmm.. I don't see point in copyprotecting disk containing documentation about hardware. I think dumping it with CAPS dumping tool could reveal something interesting..

Ok, Toni was faster
Old 14 May 2003, 23:14   #6
Quader

@Toni Wilen
<Unfortunately I don't have any ideas for dumping the rom. Does it really have build-in rom, not loadable firmware? (I think I read about cartridge that was software updatable or something ages ago..) >

You are right, booted the disk, there was the manual in menu-style, and "press esc to load cartridge". So i dump the disk with caps-tool.

@IFW:
where would you like the dump, on the caps server or in the zone. i can put some "amateur"-photos from the cartridge with it (but only from the outside, but if needed i can open it)
thanks
Old 14 May 2003, 23:21   #7
IFW

Please upload to our FTP. Make sure you use the latest dumping tool.
Old 15 May 2003, 00:42   #8
Quader

Dump of the disk and photos are up on the server, your tool had "to fight" from sector 03 till sector 17 , also around sector 50 till the end (what i mean is it was going very slow from that point on, not like with other images which were dumped in nearly 5 minutes), so i think the disk is broken at that point or there is a copylock, because i can't copy it with aexplorer (if that has something to say). Time for dumping was ~half an hour, producing a 7 MB raw (new record for me, haven't got such a fat raw since begin dumping)

Would be great if this cartridge will work in WinUAE.

@IFW:
and now i know what you meant in another post. thanks for that
Old 15 May 2003, 00:49   #9
IFW

Actually I don't know which post... PM me if secret
Old 16 May 2003, 01:54   #10
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
I had one of those cartridges m8! before i got an action replay 3...

I seem to remember it was good at ripping modules out of games but would crash easily!
Old 16 May 2003, 14:28   #11
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Quader
Dump of the disk and photos are up on the server, your tool had "to fight" from sector 03 till sector 17 , also around sector 50 till the end (what i mean is it was going very slow from that point on, not like with other images which were dumped in nearly 5 minutes)
This is usually because the disk is unformatted at those points. IFW, correct me if I am wrong - but it is only slow because it takes longer to compress and transfer those tracks (random data does not compress too well...)