English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 November 2008, 10:09   #161
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I would rather say underrated...
It's a matter of taste (as seen in the various posts here) which games you think are overrated.
Old 16 November 2008, 17:11   #162
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

I think all arcade games from Team 17 are over rated. Yes, they have good graphics and sound, but they are too difficult. I think even Amiga Doom-like games are over rated: they use weird assembly routines and programmers were glorified, but as ID released Doom C++ source, it was nearly sufficient to type "make" to get a faster FPS...
Old 16 November 2008, 18:57   #163
cv643d

LOL @ thread. But I seem to agree with you all.

-Gods. Yes it was hyped a lot but I got bored rather quickly with it. Graphics was top notch tough.
-Desert strike. Boring slow game
-Super frog. Boring overrated (even to this day) kiddie game
-Jaguar XJ. Somethings messed up with this one, I enjoyed Lotus 1 and 2 but this was crap
-Lotus 3. Something is wrong with this one to, got boring quite fast
-Shadow of the beast. I was not even impressed by the graphics, worst game ever!
-Alien Breed 1. Yes I actually finished this one back in the day, but I have to agree -Even I felt its PD likish roots back in the day.
-Alien Breed: Tower assault. Whats the point in making a game that is impossibly hard?
-Lemmings. Boooooring kiddie game.
-Turrican 2. Somewhere after the second level all interest in this strange mix of SMB/Metroid is lost.
-Pinball dreams. Can not understand how this become a smash hit, it is not a lot of fun to play and is easely the worst pinball game on the Amiga.
Old 16 November 2008, 19:03   #164
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d View Post
-Pinball dreams. Can not understand how this become a smash hit, it is not a lot of fun to play and is easely the worst pinball game on the Amiga.
You never played this one, eh?
Pretty interesting thought about Lemmings and Turrican 2...
Old 16 November 2008, 19:24   #165
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:

-Gods. Yes it was hyped a lot but I got bored rather quickly with it. Graphics was top notch tough.
-Jaguar XJ. Somethings messed up with this one, I enjoyed Lotus 1 and 2 but this was crap
-Shadow of the beast. I was not even impressed by the graphics, worst game ever!
-Alien Breed 1. Yes I actually finished this one back in the day, but I have to agree -Even I felt its PD likish roots back in the day.
-Alien Breed: Tower assault. Whats the point in making a game that is impossibly hard?
-Turrican 2. Somewhere after the second level all interest in this strange mix of SMB/Metroid is lost.
Well, if the smashing hits are not your cup of tea, what games do you consider as a top notch?
Old 16 November 2008, 19:30   #166
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
You never played this one, eh?
or this one :s
Old 16 November 2008, 19:35   #167
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
or this one :s
Oh and don't forget this one
Okay to make it clear : Pinball Dreams is one of the best pinball games for any computer/console
Old 16 November 2008, 19:37   #168
Graham Humphrey

Pinball Dreams raised the bar for pinball games on the Amiga really. Without that we wouldn't have had any of the other fab games either.
Old 16 November 2008, 19:40   #169
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Pinball Dreams raised the bar for pinball games on the Amiga really. Without that we wouldn't have had any of the other fab games either.
Totally agreed.
Old 16 November 2008, 19:52   #170
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Quote:
Uhm... I partially agree. Nice graphics, but horrible gameplay. Decisely over rated.

Quote:
Turrican 1 & 2 have too much big levels. Turrican 3 is more fast as game, the only one I can solve without cheat. I like it more than others, but maybe all the Turrican saga is a bit over rated.
Old 16 November 2008, 20:15   #171
jotd
This cat is no more

@cv643d: congratulations you just quoted most of the best games on the amiga. I now suggest that you buy a PS3

Edit: Jaguar XJ220 is indeed total crap: I completed it without even losing once the first time I played it (and I'm no expert at racing games). Music is excellent, though.
Old 16 November 2008, 20:20   #172
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazinKaesar View Post
Turrican 1 & 2 have too much big levels. Turrican 3 is more fast as game, the only one I can solve without cheat. I like it more than others, but maybe all the Turrican saga is a bit over rated.
Don't get me started on Turrican, its popularity is a constant mystery to me

But hey, it's all about opinions isn't it? Not all of us like the same stuff. I'd say Turrican, Stunt Car Racer, Another World, most Bitmap Brothers games are overrated and there will probably be loads of angered EABers rushing towards me with pitchforks and flaming torches but that's just my experience of those particular titles. I like threads like this as it's interesting getting an insight on what makes a good game to different people.
Old 16 November 2008, 20:25   #173
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:

Humour me.. What games did you enjoy!
Old 16 November 2008, 20:30   #174
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Don't get me started on Turrican, its popularity is a constant mystery to me

You're right. This thread is great for finding out what people liked or disliked about certain games. I yet have to discover the 'magic' of Arcade Pool, but don't worry I'll try
Old 16 November 2008, 21:56   #175
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:

[..insert list of mostly good games here..]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
Humour me.. What games did you enjoy!

i found this on another thread;

Quote:
City cars maybe looks like shit but it was a great game, damn I have forgotten it .. I will find it on my CD's now and go for a play it in winUAE, thanks for the reminder
City Cars on HOL

considering some of the abuse i take for defending even Xenon II (nevermind for defending Wipe Out or Wonderboy in ML) i simply couldnt let this slide!
Old 17 November 2008, 08:59   #176
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post

You're right. This thread is great for finding out what people liked or disliked about certain games. I yet have to discover the 'magic' of Arcade Pool, but don't worry I'll try
Arcade Pool: maybe one of the funniest Team 17 games. Easy to take on, quick plays, good SFX & GFX, not too pretentious. Not overrated or hyped by any means.
Old 29 November 2008, 01:08   #177
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Overrating games is a serious retro-gamer offense, alas EAB was not completely preserved from it, and I am not only evoking Body Blows here...

Expect some incredibly annoying Deleauvive bs about it soon .
Old 29 November 2008, 01:10   #178
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
Expect some incredibly annoying Deleauvive bs about it soon .
Oh noes, not again please...
Old 29 November 2008, 10:03   #179
humble worm

the thread makes me want to strangle some people... this is all very subjective, way too subjective to make sense
Old 29 November 2008, 19:20   #180
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble worm View Post
the thread makes me want to strangle some people... this is all very subjective, way too subjective to make sense

I think "masterpiece" never existed. Not in movies: The Godfather is a masterpiece?! I don't like it 'casue there are not zombies Not in games: Shen Mue is a masterpiece?! I don't like it 'cause there are not zombies It's just subjective...