English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 August 2008, 10:21   #121
Marcuz

well then write them your suggestion

still it is neither ridiculous nor sad, albeit more than a little tiresome and often pointless telling people to be responsible [particularly] when it gets to this board, so that it stays open so that you too can express your opinion.
Old 27 August 2008, 11:39   #122
ck16

Thumbs down

What I find even more sad is that one of the key factors to developing OS4 on PPC hardware was to stay faithful to those who forked out truckloads of money on Cyberstorm/Blizzard cards.

Ironically, only a handful of these cards remain in working order, which counts for a very *small* userbase. In addition, even Apple (the largest customer of PPC chips in the home computer market) has moved to the more profitable x86 architecture.

I'm puzzled as to why Hyperion/AInc/KMOS/whoever hasn't contemplated porting OS4 to (at least) a minimal x86 platform with a full Intel chipset (including GFX, PHY, etc).

Opening up OS4 to the greater market would make more business sense to me. Unless, as stated in an earlier post, these companies are against turning over a profit.

Then again, common sense has never applied to the decisions made by Commodore/Amiga. The trend continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_november View Post
This whole debate is ridiculous and very, very sad. The AmigaOS should have been moved to x86 a decade ago and it's absolutely bizarre that the people still working on it have actively resisted doing so. Now they're resisting letting it run on PPC Mac hardware?

What do these people have against money? I like money, and I'm at a loss as to why they don't, especially seeing as they want money in exchange for their product.
Old 27 August 2008, 12:11   #123
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Since I joined EAB earlier this month I have been amazed at how active and vibrant the Amiga community still is.... I truly believe that there is still profit to be made from Amiga and with some "intelligent" decisions such as porting to x86 arcitecture or even to PPC / Mac that it would be fairly easy!

We need a platform that can handle the latest processors / graphics cards etc - then we can focus on improving the OS to get it to a point where it can compete with at least OSX. At the moment it seems that the loyal Amiga fanbase is being let down with poor hardware decisions compunded with delays and an OS that is not accessible to the very people it is aimed at!

Without options to use AmigaOS on a wider variety of hardware Amiga will never be successful again!

If it were up to me - I would port to x86 hardware and possibly release an AmigaClassic expansion card for running the Classic software (dunno if it would be possible - but hows about a PCIe card with a 68040 + the AGA chipset etc - if not the x86 platform can emulate classic pretty well and with Toni's idea of running Classic seamlessly under UAE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
"Seamless" RTG: IF Picasso96 (or CyberGfx) sources will be released someday, the plan is to make totally seamless "RTG" emulation where Windows desktop = Workbench screen, all Amiga windows (including Workbench window) appear as normal windows on Windows desktop.
Maybe I am rambling......
Old 27 August 2008, 13:14   #124
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit80 View Post
I have been amazed at how active and vibrant the Amiga community still is....
not to mention the OT...
Old 27 August 2008, 13:16   #125
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
not to mention the OT...
i tend to think only OT
Old 27 August 2008, 13:21   #126
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
not to mention the OT...
Shoonay : Lost in OT...
Old 27 August 2008, 13:23   #127
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Mmh.. i miss Zetr0's monthly OS4 rants.
Old 27 August 2008, 13:26   #128
Marcuz

i miss Zetr0. my aim is really poor.
Old 11 September 2008, 14:13   #129
Thom87
LameUser

Hello All.

Has anyone of You mates information (or maybe just files) needed to boot AOS4.x on iBook G4?

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=dlZyYZ...eature=related

Thom
Old 11 September 2008, 15:57   #130
DamienD
Banned

Sorry Thom87, even if members here did have the required files or information on where to get them from they are not allowed to post them here...
Old 11 September 2008, 18:33   #131
AmigaDave

Quote:
papa_november wrote: This whole debate is ridiculous and very, very sad. The AmigaOS should have been moved to x86 a decade ago and it's absolutely bizarre that the people still working on it have actively resisted doing so. Now they're resisting letting it run on PPC Mac hardware?

What do these people have against money? I like money, and I'm at a loss as to why they don't, especially seeing as they want money in exchange for their product.
Don't you know anything about the current status of licensing for AmigaOS?
Old 11 September 2008, 22:41   #132
Thom87
LameUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Sorry Thom87, even if members here did have the required files or information on where to get them from they are not allowed to post them here...
In this case I can only dream about piece of (New)Amiga (System) for me and only me
I have one iBook G4 with broken LCD so I thought I could make a custom computer thats runs AOS 4.x. The question is if is possible to redirect main display to second one. Maybe some electronic/circuits modification?

Is the same story with morphos boot loader on mac?

Thomas

Last edited by Thom87; 11 September 2008 at 23:26.
Old 12 September 2008, 12:36   #133
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
amiga os was ported to x86 along time ago now very sad story (Amithlon)
now its trying to get on something else probably end in another sad story

to me its not the ethics involved its just can it be done

OT bit
sure we don`t post links to where to get suff of the net but any1 with half an idea of how to use a search engine can soon fill there gaps in knolage as long as the can type the right questions that is