English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12 January 2016, 07:48   #1
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,839
Road Avenger CD32

Also known as "Road Blaster" and "Vehicular Homicide Hero"

Yet another project I'll probably never finish! I only really got to the investigation stage before moving on to other projects, no code for it has been written at all.

As you can see it'd look nicer than the Sega CD version in HAM video (converted from a LaserDisc rip) since IIRC the Sega CD can only play back video in 16 colours.

My general plan was to use the CDGSXL player (written in C) as a base, but have it parse a basic text file script for the game. Eg in pseudocode the script might look vaguely like

Code:
AT FRAME 1000 PRESS RED ELSE DIE
Which of course would mean it could be recycled for other FMV conversions too, like Space Ace or Dragon's Lair.

Note that I did the conversions as HAM6, I could do them with HAM8 for near perfect image quality but it'd result in either a screen size or frame rate reduction.

earok is offline  
Old 12 January 2016, 09:17   #2
Amigajay
醉拳
Amigajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: England
Posts: 1,921
Tbh was never a big fan of these types of games but am willing to try esp as its still a new game! Id let you decide which is best, if it plays better at 12fps go for that or 8fps is still fine then go for it :-)
Amigajay is offline  
Old 12 January 2016, 09:28   #3
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Tbh was never a big fan of these types of games

Me neither really but Road Avenger is a favorite of mine, from the awesome into song (exclusive to Sega CD), the absurd anime physics, and well I don't know, it just feels more playable to me than most other laserdisc games.
earok is offline  
Old 12 January 2016, 10:29   #4
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Belgarath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Manchester
Posts: 2,392
Road Avenger is a guilty pleasure of mine as well, it's great to pick up now and again for a quick game or 2.
Belgarath is offline  
Old 12 January 2016, 10:34   #5
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
Road Avenger is a guilty pleasure of mine as well, it's great to pick up now and again for a quick game or 2.
try the SNES port if you haven't already. It doesn't work on all emulators or real hardware without some kind of add-on but it's superb.
earok is offline  
Old 03 February 2016, 07:08   #6
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Montreal/Canadia
Age: 47
Posts: 1,088
What a great idea!
Moreover the HAM mode is ideally suited to fast image filling for animated cartoons like this.

Note that the license was still exploited actively in 2009 by the rights-holder (cf link below) and they made an iOS version of it not too far ago. Maybe they would be willing to license it cheaply for the Amiga? Definitely worth asking in my opinion.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS1...009+MW20090113
ReadOnlyCat is offline  
Old 03 February 2016, 10:19   #7
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
What a great idea!
Moreover the HAM mode is ideally suited to fast image filling for animated cartoons like this.

Note that the license was still exploited actively in 2009 by the rights-holder (cf link below) and they made an iOS version of it not too far ago. Maybe they would be willing to license it cheaply for the Amiga? Definitely worth asking in my opinion.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS1...009+MW20090113

I'll keep it in mind, cheers
earok is offline  
Old 03 February 2016, 12:16   #8
Amigajay
醉拳
Amigajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: England
Posts: 1,921
Well the SNES version got released with no news of lawsuits, i don't imagine a lower key CD32 release would have any problems.
Amigajay is offline  
Old 04 February 2016, 06:25   #9
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Montreal/Canadia
Age: 47
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Well the SNES version got released with no news of lawsuits, i don't imagine a lower key CD32 release would have any problems.
I also think the odds of a lawsuit are inexistent.
But I was actually more focused on the possibility of an official CD32 release which would be newsworthy. Moreover, the support lends itself nicely to an inexpensive physical distribution.

Road Avenger is on my todo-list as well, so when its turn comes, if Earok hasn't asked, I will.
(Note: it is very very far down the list, won't touch it for several years at least unless my productivity mysteriously jumps up.)
ReadOnlyCat is offline  
Old 14 February 2016, 16:46   #10
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 38
Posts: 17,789
Useless trivia: Car in Road Avenger and in Double Dragon is the same.
s2325 is offline  
Old 14 February 2016, 17:52   #11
jayminer
Registered User

jayminer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: UmeƄ / Sweden
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Useless trivia: Car in Road Avenger and in Double Dragon is the same.
Did you also watch Gamesack today?
jayminer is offline  
Old 14 February 2016, 17:54   #12
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 38
Posts: 17,789
yes
s2325 is offline  
Old 14 February 2016, 20:23   #13
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 3,988
Is it possible to have the the video with the Arrows on screen - Do these ever change position

Can you go strate in another clip say you wanted to do something like Mad Dog?
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 15 February 2016, 04:40   #14
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Is it possible to have the the video with the Arrows on screen - Do these ever change position

Can you go strate in another clip say you wanted to do something like Mad Dog?
The arrows etc are generated at run time. Longplays of the game will have the arrows on screen, but the LaserDisc rip I found did not.

Not sure what you mean by the second question?
earok is offline  
Old 15 February 2016, 13:10   #15
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 3,988
Cut from one video scene to another without the screen going blank while loading next scene
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 15 February 2016, 13:14   #16
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Cut from one video scene to another without the screen going blank while loading next scene
Oh right, I follow now.

I think it's hard to avoid skips between clips. In Road Avenger a single perfect play is all in one clip so there's no lag if you're playing perfectly, but I think there is a short delay if you get killed as it jumps to the death scene.
earok is offline  
Old 15 February 2016, 13:18   #17
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 3,988
Maybe something like Mad Dog McCree could maybe work?
it would only need a simple script in the background - but cutting to death scene could be a problem
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 15 February 2016, 13:30   #18
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Maybe something like Mad Dog McCree could maybe work?
it would only need a simple script in the background - but cutting to death scene could be a problem
Mad dog mcree is already an Amiga game (core of the arcade cabinet was an Amiga). Maybe someone can hack it to run without the laserdisc hardware
earok is offline  
Old 15 February 2016, 15:44   #19
SkulleateR
Registered User

SkulleateR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Mad dog mcree is already an Amiga game (core of the arcade cabinet was an Amiga). Maybe someone can hack it to run without the laserdisc hardware
Now THAT would be awesome
SkulleateR is offline  
Old 30 December 2016, 12:34   #20
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 3,988
Did you have any luck with this? Do you think Mad Dog is possible? can you jump to the correct position in a cdxl file with the standard cdxl viewer without problems?

Can you play CD audio while a CDXL is playing?
Retro1234 is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Warlock The Avenger (Max Players) Beawolf HOL data problems 2 22 August 2010 16:53
Last Ninja 2: Avenger's 3D Map - high quality scan anyone ?! macce2 request.Other 6 14 April 2010 12:26
Looking for Avenger loadermusic.. moriez request.Modules 5 31 March 2009 19:46
Warlock The Avenger - Warlock Levels CodyJarrett support.Games 2 23 January 2005 18:00

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.08969 seconds with 13 queries