English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 April 2012, 05:00   #121
desiv

Well, quick report..
Got my MAS Player Evolved today...
Took about 10 minutes to hook up (mostly because I had to slide the Amiga and the 1084s around a bit for cabling..
Plugging it in was as easy as you'd imagine...

I don't yet have AmigaAMP installed, so I just used the MAS Player app included on Floppy.
Copied the font over (OK, I tried to run it without copying the font first, and it said it needed the font.. I was impatient!!) and ran the app...
It came up!!!
(Looks like it was designed for PAL, so the screen was a bit low, but still useable..)

Found an MP3 on my HD and fired it up.

Worked great! Just that simple!!

Now I'm playing MP3's from a Compact Flash card (through the PCMCIA port/adapter).
I also fired up Workbench Arkanoid (the WB mini-game) and was playing that.
As the MAS Player isn't "Amiga sound," there was no conflict. Had game sound and background music at the same time..

Great product!

Thanx again!

desiv
Old 17 April 2012, 12:18   #122
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Now I'm playing MP3's from a Compact Flash card (through the PCMCIA port/adapter).
I also fired up Workbench Arkanoid (the WB mini-game) and was playing that.
As the MAS Player isn't "Amiga sound," there was no conflict. Had game sound and background music at the same time..
That's great, I didn't know that.
Old 21 April 2012, 19:32   #123
desiv

Another follow up.. (This thing is fun...)

Last night, I was streaming MP3s over teh interwebz!!!

Now, this should have been simple, and it really is... (there's an IF coming..)

You load your TCP/IP stack.
You get a .pls file (I used iBrowse to get one from the shoutcast site).
You load AmigaAmp and open the file...

It's almost that simple..

OK, almost?
Well, first, I think I have AmigaAmp to only show MP3 files. Not a big deal. I KNEW I had saved that file in that directory and I knew the name. (In this case, I saved it in RAM: as station.pls) So I browsed to RAM, and even tho it didn't show the file, I typed station.pls and clicked OK (or whatever it is) and it loaded and PLAYED!!!

Easy!!
(Didn't you mention an IF? Was it just not displaying the file, cuz that's easy..)
Hmm.. Now that you ask.. No.. That wasn't the IF...
The IF is...

IF your TCP/IP stack isn't AmiTCP 3.x...
(I eventually (yes, AFTER) found a post, here on EAB I think, that even said what the feature it was lacking was)

It doesn't work with AmiTCP 3.x, which I think is what Easynet from Amigakit uses also.
(And what I used. It's simple and easy (well, I like config files, so it was easy for me) and worked.)

So, I fired up MiamiDX and then launched AmigaAmp...
Worked great!!

Streaming some dance/pop station (I have to pay attention when I "randomly" select a stream.. Not that there's anything wrong with dance/pop, but not my style) at 128K!

With my Amiga 1200 with it's ACA1230/28, I was left with 7%-10% CPU free.
Not killing the system, but not a whole bunch left over..
I didn't do any more testing. It was late and I'm getting old.. ;-)

Just kual that it worked...

OK, posting this update from my Amiga 1200 using iBrowse while listening to streamed music.
I went for 80's music to be safe!!
Although, I've heard 2 songs I didn't recognize and 4 minutes of commercials in Spanish...
Gotta find some good streams. ;-)
It's a 48k stream.

desiv

Last edited by desiv; 21 April 2012 at 21:42.
Old 30 November 2012, 17:23   #124
attila06
Zone Friend

Wahooo,

We can listen radio shoutcast correctly ? while browsing the web or doing anything else that's right ?

A video please .

Perhaps Santa Claus will give me a Mas Player.
Old 30 November 2012, 17:46   #125
emufan

amigakit still got Mas Player Evolution in stock and Mas Player itself, is on status TBA. not a cheap hobbyhorse we've got
Old 01 December 2012, 01:03   #126
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila06 View Post
We can listen radio shoutcast correctly ? while browsing the web or doing anything else that's right ?
Yep. No prob at all...

Quote:
A video please .
I'll see what I can do...

Quote:
Perhaps Santa Claus will give me a Mas Player.
It's certainly fun! Good luck...

desiv
Old 22 December 2012, 15:16   #127
amigakit.com

We are now getting to the end of the MAS Player Evolution batch (last few units available now).

We will be looking to do a new batch in 2013.
Old 30 March 2013, 14:48   #128
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Well, it`s been a time I bought the mas player, but I`ve tried now for first time to play radio... and I`m doing now, posting from my A1200/ACA1231/42 while listening blues (http://www.wnmc.org/wnmc48.pls) using my AmiKit conversion.

So thanks for your indications Desiv. Now I would like to know if it`s possible to get AminetRadio playing them too using the mas player, how to configure it, as I`m planning to add it to AmiKit.
Old 30 March 2013, 15:35   #129
Mozzerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Well, it`s been a time I bought the mas player, but I`ve tried now for first time to play radio... and I`m doing now, posting from my A1200/ACA1231/42 while listening blues (http://www.wnmc.org/wnmc48.pls) using my AmiKit conversion.

So thanks for your indications Desiv. Now I would like to know if it`s possible to get AminetRadio playing them too using the mas player, how to configure it, as I`m planning to add it to AmiKit.
In the aminet-radio guide is explained how to use a hardware mp3 decoder like the masplayer. It's not really supported, but with a few tweaks you can get it working.

edit:shoutcast-stations can also be played with amplifier. personally I think that's a better solution, as amplifier is already included in the original amikit.
Old 30 March 2013, 16:46   #130
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzerfan View Post
In the aminet-radio guide is explained how to use a hardware mp3 decoder like the masplayer. It's not really supported, but with a few tweaks you can get it working.

edit:shoutcast-stations can also be played with amplifier. personally I think that's a better solution, as amplifier is already included in the original amikit.
Thanks Mozzerfan. Yes, in fact I was using amplifier to play the station, as Desiv indicated. But remember that also AminetRadio is already included in the original AmiKit, and now I can use it (without Fpu) and include it. The thing is that it only plays for what I see Mp3's and radio stations, and without a MHI driver I can't use the mas player, so I woudn't be able to play anything with it with an ACA. It has players for aiff and mods, but only for Morphos...

Where is that guide to tweak it, at the AmigaZeus web or on the Amiga program? I didn't see it. EDIT: YEs, I see it. Let me try...

Edit: I don't like it at all that tweaking. I don't know, I remember a video of Cammy where she was playing AminetRadio, and surely it was with a not so powerful accelerator... (edit: DKB Mongoose 68030/50Mhz) I don't think she was using a mas player either... [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Retrofan; 30 March 2013 at 17:36.
Old 30 March 2013, 21:03   #131
amigakit.com

@Retrofan

Did you buy the new Mas Player Evolution from us or a regular Mas Player second hand?
Old 30 March 2013, 21:27   #132
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@Retrofan

Did you buy the new Mas Player Evolution from us or a regular Mas Player second hand?
Of course I bought your jewel (you, reading.... buy it while you can ). Mine is black. I've been reading and now I've got some answers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Unfortunately hardly anyone uses or knows about AmiNetRadio. I used to use it all the time until the two major online radio station providers which most of my favourites belonged to stopped broadcasting their low-bandwidth streams and my 030 can't handle the higher quality streams.

I wonder if there's a proxy that can reduce the bitrate of incoming streams for users of slower computers.
But I also know now that Mozzerfan got it working with the mas player:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozzerFan View Post
I've successfully used aminetradio on an a1200-030/50 with both a mas-player pro and the mp3@64. Both are significantly cheaper than an amiga soundcard with DSP.
Perhaps he can tell me how to start the tool. I don't know what tool is that of the instructions of Aminet Radio:
"Set up the tool that came with your hardware to read from the pipe. For example: ToolYouUse PIPE:aminetradiostream..."

Edit: Ups Amigakit I forgot a thing: I've had to install the software as your floppy wasn't working, and the Masplayer program downloaded from your site (link to Aminet) didn't work. Finally I tried in another miggy and there I could read the floppy, and that program must be different, as it works perfectly.

Last edited by Retrofan; 31 March 2013 at 00:31.
Old 30 March 2013, 22:00   #133
Mozzerfan

@Retrofan

The Tool you must use to make it work with the masplayer is "masplay". It's in the archive of "masmpeg.device.lha" on chris hodges his website ( edit: www.platon42.de)

It works, but like I said mostly I use Amplifier or Streamer myself.

Last edited by Mozzerfan; 30 March 2013 at 22:47.
Old 30 March 2013, 22:57   #134
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, you are true. Is there a radio station that I can try with a 030 with AminetRadio? And does the http://207.200.98.25 in the shoutsearch proxy settings work?
Old 30 March 2013, 23:45   #135
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Retrofan my friend I just made a quick video testing 2 random radio stations I saved from Shoutcast.com and tested on my A600 via MAS-Player.
They work just fine via AmigaAMP without issues.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 March 2013, 23:51   #136
Mozzerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Yes, you are true. Is there a radio station that I can try with a 030 with AminetRadio? And does the http://207.200.98.25 in the shoutsearch proxy settings work?
Streaming to pipe and playing it with masplay uses more cpu, so I would try the lowest stream first (for example 32 kbit streams).

My conclusions are that Amplifier can best be used on 030 systems. It uses the least cpu time. On my 030 I can play 96 kbit streams and do some small other task at the same time (using masmpeg.device and a buffersize of 128K and blocksize 32). Seriously Retro, don't bother with aminetradio on a 030.
Old 31 March 2013, 00:02   #137
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks Marios. In fact you've got your A600 configured to the max with 8 colors, the best wallpaper, icons, programs, your "amidock", etc.

I've got no problem to use for example Amplifier to listen radio stations with the mas player. The thing is that now that I can run AminetRadio without FPU with a 030 I don't find a reason to use it... I can't play Mp3's, no radio stations, no other files...

You are true Mozzerfan, but it's a pity that such a good program hasn't any utility with a 030 now, like it had in the past...

Edit: I will try 32Kb streams anyway. Any link please?
And I'm also wondering why not someone could open a radio station with a proxy that can reduce the bitrate of incoming streams for users of slower computers like Cammy said.

Last edited by Retrofan; 31 March 2013 at 00:37.
Old 31 March 2013, 00:39   #138
Mozzerfan

Look at www.shoutcast.com for 32 kbit streams.

If you used the tweaking settings in the guide for mpega and shoutcast (you have to set 'm both to use the masplayer (edit:for both streaming and playing mp3 from your HD), you can also convert a cd-track to a 32kbit mp3 and test it with that.
Old 31 March 2013, 00:52   #139
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks. I'm going to start (if I can) with this http://jungletrain.net/. Can it play xxx.m3u or just pls?
Old 31 March 2013, 01:19   #140
Mozzerfan

Dunno. Just save the m3u list to your hd, open it with a texteditor and copy/paste one of the entries in aminetradio.
IIRC the masplayer has problems with 24 kbit streams (no sound), but I'm not sure.