English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 September 2001, 00:46   #41
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

If that is the case then games like Nemesis and all other sideway scrollers were just a rip-off of Scramble! Although as you say there isn't many iso shmups so the fact that it lifts a bit from Zaxxon is good, no? Anyway the gameplay feel is quite different. you can't move up and down on a vertical plane like in Zaxxon!
Old 14 September 2001, 00:55   #42
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Another game I like is Eliminate Down on the Megadrive. Not particularly original but still a fun blast. Screenshots anyone as my emulator doesn't want to take screenshots (dunno y coz it has the option)
Old 14 September 2001, 01:04   #43
birdy-scc
Banned

You're right Bombjacker, it's not really original - but it is one of the better shmups. I used Genecyst, no problems.

Isn't Bomb Jack an anti-shmup though? Is it in a league of its own in that you have to STOP things exploding? (and also from Tehkan - 1984) :hooooo

I'm jumping off topic, oh yes. Watch as I defy convention and delve into the realms of the unrelated.:eek
Old 14 September 2001, 06:49   #44
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Super Aleste rocks, just as every other Compile game..

If you guys like Super Aleste, you really should take a look at the other versions of the game (Mainly the MSX games, Aleste, Aleste 2 and Aleste gaiden, as they are just EXCELLENT)

I don't think Star Force really has an ending... I remember I had a cheated version for it in my MSX, and I never finished it too, even with cheat..

Funnily enough, I was playing Eliminate Down today... it's really a great game. One of the best Mega-Drive shmups, and this says something

And it's good to see someone likes Last Resort. I think it's the best shmup available for Neo_geo (beating Pulstar, Blazing Stars or every other people favourites)... well, Last Resort is my fav apart of Twinkle Star Sprites, but this one is in another league
Old 14 September 2001, 12:37   #45
Bloodwych

Quote from bombjacker:

>> If that is the case then games like Nemesis and all other sideway scrollers were just a rip-off of Scramble! Although as you say there isn't many iso shmups so the fact that it lifts a bit from Zaxxon is good, no? Anyway the gameplay feel is quite different. you can't move up and down on a vertical plane like in Zaxxon! <<

He he, sorry bombjacker never ment it as a negative issue towards viewpoint. I was just overwhelmed with nostalgia for Zaxxon (since I've played on it so many platforms) and after reading your post came out with that outburst!

The last line of my post "Don't see too many iso shoot em ups..................." was indeed a sign of respect for viewpoint as, like you said, not many games of this type exist.

As for the screenshots, just hit "print screen" on your keyboard whilst playing the game to copy an image to the clipboard. Then paste it into a graphics program, save and give that baby some web space.
Old 14 September 2001, 19:29   #46
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Thanx for the pics birdy-scc!

It might be an anti-shmup but you still get to kill those evil robot things!

Its my favourite game of all time which contradicts the fact that shmups are my favourite genre! Well I am one big walking contradiction!

@Bloodwych - my rant wasn't really serious! Sorry if I offended you! I don't have problems with MAME snaphots just GENS! Don't know why but I do. Must look into it. My computer does behave badly with some emulators. RAINE being a prime example!

I used to really love a shmup on the C+4 called Spectipede! A shameless rip-off of Centipede! I have that emulated on a disk somewhere and a picture of the cover. Will try and find them and post!
Old 14 September 2001, 22:58   #47
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK
All my favourite Shoot'em-Up are always on my hard-drive
Remember most of the day I'm at work, so this is basically not MY hard drive At home I have everything I want! But here I just dload it (I abuse the broadband conenction )

Anyway, yes, Viewpoint is basically a Zaxxon on steroids. Same can be said for 'the Reap', a great PC game:

Glad to see all of you have so differing shmup tastes! That's to show the genre has stuff for everybody
Old 15 September 2001, 22:00   #48
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

That looks a mightily tasty game does 'The Reap'! Might have to investigate it. @Akira (or anyone) does it play as good as it looks?
Old 16 September 2001, 00:57   #49
Fissuras
Old Luny

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

My days with shoot'em-ups started and ended with my MSX. I never had a MSX2 so I stayed with good-old Zanac, the great Nemesis (father of all Gradius). There was also Knightmare, a different kind of shooter since you are a viking... but the idea is more or less the same (shoot! shoot! shoot! kill'em all!!!!!!).

But unfortunatly I forgot the name of the best shooter I have ever played in MSX!!!! I was unable to find it anywhere in the net (and believe me, I have tons of msx games... I'm a mothafuka leecher).

I can't even describe it well... It was a vertical shooter... There were this planets you have to go in no especial order... I believe you had to buy or upgrade weapons... I remember this special laser... oh how I liked shooting those aliens with my mothafuca big laser gun... life was so good back then...
Old 16 September 2001, 03:07   #50
Amiga1992

the Reap plays as good as it looks. A real oddity!

Fissuras, Shatterhand might be abe to help you find that game. He;'s brazilian too
Old 16 September 2001, 04:51   #51
Fissuras
Old Luny

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nah... I've lost my hope... Nor even my brother - who used to play the game with me - remembers the game's name, just like my friends.... and we searched our old (and useless) msx disks... searched all the net sites... wasted hours testing roms in msx emulators... for nothing.

Anyway, what about "The Reap"? I downloaded a demo version a long time ago. But never had the actual game. And never found it anywhere (it was quite big wasn't it?).
Old 16 September 2001, 07:01   #52
Amiga1992

I tell you, Shatterhand has a PERSONAL collection of MSX stuff, that he got in BRAZIL. Not the shit you find in the net So I bet he could prolly find da game.

the Reap comes in one CD, I got mine from a pal from the UK, I got the re-release budget version though.

We found some leads to the game, if you mind searching at my page's forum you might find the answer. Heck, try our Trading Station, I KNOW some peeps were selling copies there. Its the last option of the nav bar (buy/sell/trade shmups)

Last edited by Amiga1992; 16 September 2001 at 07:08.
Old 16 September 2001, 07:41   #53
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

hey, good to see someone else from Brazil!!! And it's even from Rio de Janeiro, like me! That's cool!

By the description you gave me, being an MSX 1 game, it looks like "Kaleidoscope Special" ... this game have another name in Japan, but I really don't remember now. Anyway, as you aren't japanese, you'll probably know the game as "Kaleidoscope Special"

there's a few screenshots of the game attached (including a shot of the title screen , and other shot of the screen where you choose what planet you want to go)

it's rather weird to speak with a brazilian fellow in english, but oh well !

Hope I helped yah find your fav game

@akira

thx for the comments mate, now give me your A600 and I give you my MSX 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kaleid.gif
Views:	376
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	705  
Old 16 September 2001, 07:53   #54
Fissuras
Old Luny

Happy

All right!!!!! I believe you! I will ask him! The MSX was surelly a great hit here in Brazil.

Man, I went to your page... Good old shmups!!! I have almost forgotten that site... I used to visit it a lot a long time ago, when Malcon was there. That's where I learned about "the reap".

Right now I am searching the forum...... it will take forever!!!!
I need some sleep.... but not before finding the reap......
Old 16 September 2001, 08:00   #55
Amiga1992

Shatterhand does it again

erm, seems you didnt read his post above eh?

Anyway, check out the buy/sell/trade section of me site instead, you will finds posts about the Reap

Malcolm is the one who gave me the Reap

Last edited by Amiga1992; 16 September 2001 at 08:05.
Old 16 September 2001, 20:38   #56
Fissuras
Old Luny

Eek

Believe me...... I am the lamest guy in the whole world, am I not?

I tell you why, and you will agree...

When I got my hands on a MSX emulator, a long time ago, years after selling the true thing, I searched all the disks I could find, looking for this game (back then, early 90's, there was no net available here, except at the college/university). At that time I was pretty sure the game I was looking for was called Kaleidoscope, and I've found this game a thousand times, but when I played it, it just didn't look like the game I remembered, so I forgot it.

Then came the net, and I was still looking for the "lost game". I've downloaded hundreds of roms, played them all, played kaleidoscope again, and yet nothing triggered my mind. it just didn't look right (now I know, it is my brain is that is non-functional).

I believe I was so anxious about finding this rom that I had no patience to play a little longer...

But now, seeing the pics, I almost convinced that memory has tricked me... what a fool...

But I am glad.... I will give it another try... hope the good days are back!!!!
Old 17 September 2001, 08:41   #57
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hahaha, this happened to me a lot of times too. You download that game you remember to be fantastic in your old system, fire up the emulator, and after playing it again for 15 minutes, you think
"How could I like this shit?"

Kaleidoscope Special is pretty good, try it again, a little longer. When you get to the 1st boss, I'm sure you'll remember the "mothafuca big laser gun", and then you'll remember about most things in the game :-)

BTW, did u ever finish that game? I always found WAAAAYYY to hard, the bosses that are like spiders are DAMN hard to destroy, and some of those monolis things are so well hidden, it's nearly impossible to find them.

And yeah, Knightmare, Nemesis and Zanac are 3 of the best MSX 1 games ever done, but... If you're interested, get a little unknown game called "Hype" ... this one is as good as zanac, and that says something
Old 17 September 2001, 08:53   #58
RetroMan

After reading this post again, another one comes to my mind : URIDIUM ..... the way faaaaastest scrolling Shoot´em Up on C64, this one rocks too ......

@Shatterhand

I got myself a Philips VG-8010 (MSX1) some days ago, is there a way to get a floppy drive connected to it ?? I like to play all those calssix on the real thing There´s also a proggie to convert disk images to tapes and put them back to tape via the PC Soundcard, do you know the name ?? I lost my link to that site
Old 17 September 2001, 18:14   #59
Amiga1992

Fissuras, you suffered the FEARED happy sappy delussion syndrome

@Retroman: Yes you can, but you must find a mega-rare (according to Shatterhand, the MSX meister) FDD interface cartridge. Also your Phillips better have two cartridge slots, otherwise you cant use a game cartridge or a RAM cart.

If you do find one you are in for a treat, since you format the disks on the PC, shove them on thw MSX and play away

Could the tape program you are looking for be called mtap? I think it supports C64 and other formats. HOwever to convert something from disk to tape.. hmm. there should be something.
Old 17 September 2001, 20:36   #60
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Fissuras, you suffered the FEARED happy sappy delussion syndrome

@Retroman: Yes you can, but you must find a mega-rare (according to Shatterhand, the MSX meister) FDD interface cartridge. Also your Phillips better have two cartridge slots, otherwise you cant use a game cartridge or a RAM cart.

If you do find one you are in for a treat, since you format the disks on the PC, shove them on thw MSX and play away

Could the tape program you are looking for be called mtap? I think it supports C64 and other formats. HOwever to convert something from disk to tape.. hmm. there should be something.
Yep, the VG-8010 has got 2 Cart Slots and no, the name wasn´t mtap, all I know is that it´s a MSX-only proggie, so no C64 affiliated Now I gotta go, searching for a FDD Controller