English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 October 2008, 19:23   #1
pkillo

CyberVision 64/3D installation troubles

Hi, all,
I've installed a cybervision 64/3d that I got over on amibay a few months back into my 3000D and I'm trying to figure out what I've done wrong with the software setup. I don't have the scandoubler module, and I've got a monitor connected to both the 3k vga port and the cv64/3d port, at least until I get this working right.

The install disk I got with the board had a disk error, but the tools disk was alright [version 3.0 is what the label says], and I grabbed the v. 41.9 cybergrafx installer off of phase5.a1k.org. I ran that, and then the v4 RC5 [42.7] updater using the cd-rom I was given with the card. [This is all on a fresh install of OS3.5; I had previously tried a couple of times and ended up reinstalling to start fresh.]

Now the Amiga boots to a black screen on the 3000 vga and no sync on the cv. So I rebooted with no startup sequence, moved the monitor definition and .info file over to Storage and rebooted. showcgxconfig shows the driver version but reports no device present and cgxmode says no driver or device found.

I know this card works because I got it to display the splash screen while fiddling the other night (and promptly messed up whatever I'd done right lol). I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong - the screen modes prefs don't list anything but NTSC even though I moved the cv definition to devs/monitors, and the default setup after install definitely doesn't work.

When the splash screen was coming up, on boot I'd get asked to give the default screen mode from VGA, NTSC, and PAL(?) but the system would just hang right after I chose one. HELP, please!
Old 07 October 2008, 22:09   #2
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Why in heaven you want CGX? Picasso96 is waaaaay better, even for the Cybervision board!

BTW1: Did you download the install disks from installer's heaven?

BTW2: congrats for the acquisition!
Old 07 October 2008, 22:41   #3
pkillo

Thanks, I'll give Picasso a try. I downloaded the files from phase5.a1k.org, not installer's heaven.

I'm pretty psyched to have the 3000 up and running; I have to mod the drive/psu tray to allow me to put in one of the a3640 boards I have here and install the zip ram i've just bought over on amibay and then this particular system will be complete, I think.
Old 08 October 2008, 10:42   #4
pkillo

a3000 ramblings

Bah... the picasso96 installation seemed to go smoothly enough (after I reinstalled the OS yet again, argh...) but it's not been an immediate success, I guess I may still have to fiddle with some settings to get it to work.

Now, not having used an RTG graphics card before, I have to ask: the workbench screen _is_ supposed to appear on the cv3d's monitor, right?

I'll post more details on what I've tried later, right now I'm in a bit of a spot because the lid on my laptop has cracked and I need to sort out the files that are on it. Luckily I had windows crash hard on it a few weeks ago and so have only recently installed Solaris on it so there's not much to retrieve. I think when I get it back I might try running MacOS on it - it's in the HCL on osx86project.org now.

But this has delayed my intended surgery on the drive/psu carrier ... I need to cut a hole to fit the heat sink on the a3640 I'm putting in it, and I'm wondering what would be the best (read: cheap but effective) tool to cut the metal without leaving a sharp edge?
Old 01 November 2008, 08:52   #5
Jope
-

The WB screen appears on the RTG monitor after you've configured your RTGmodes and then changed the screenmode into an RTG screenmode in the screenmode prefs.