English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 December 2018, 17:17   #1
sneckburger

Gotek advice

Hi
Could someone please explain the differences in firmware and selector programs as I'm a little confused.
I understand there's 3 firmware options.
Flash-Floppy
HxC
Cortex

I flashed mine with the flash floppy firmware using the USB method as the You Tube video was very useful and managed to get it to work - F-F on the drive lights up with no usb plugged in. I'm confused now to what software (selector program 00 digit) to use for it.

What are the differences in them all? are they compatible across different firmware's and what files do I need on the USB drive for mine.
Old 06 December 2018, 17:24   #2
lesta_smsc

Firmware is what is flashed into the Gotek itself. That is HxC (paid) or FlashFloppy (free!)

The selector is basically the 1st disk image if you choose disk image 000 so that you can choose which disks from the USB drive you want to mount into the 001 to 999 list. This comes by default within the files you put onto your USB drive depending on which firmware you use.

I'd recommend getting OLED IIC I2C 128X32 and you can see the disk names for easy selection and not having to remember numbering

Hope this helps
Old 06 December 2018, 17:35   #3
sneckburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Firmware is what is flashed into the Gotek itself. That is HxC (paid) or FlashFloppy (free!)

The selector is basically the 1st disk image if you choose disk image 000 so that you can choose which disks from the USB drive you want to mount into the 001 to 999 list. This comes by default within the files you put onto your USB drive depending on which firmware you use.

I'd recommend getting OLED IIC I2C 128X32 and you can see the disk names for easy selection and not having to remember numbering

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info.
I bought a pre-flashed Goteck for my other Amiga and this came with a cd with files on it but with little instruction on what to do. I figured Id need some sort of software on the usb and must have tried different ones until one worked. The one that I have working is the HxC program and works fine( though I've not figured out what drive A and B is for?) But I'm sure that drive shows F-F on the LED segment display as well as the one I flashed when the USB is unplugged.
If I use the same USB in the Gotek I flashed the HxC selector seems to work but not too well as sometimes it doesn't save the adfs sometimes it does..

Is there selector programs for each firmware or are they all compatible with each other?
Old 06 December 2018, 17:53   #4
Gordon
Settler

Hi mate, been doing a lot of research myself and from I've seen you don't use selector adf for flash floppy. You need autoboot files. See this link and near bottom it tells you the two files https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Initial-Setup
Old 06 December 2018, 18:03   #5
lesta_smsc

Correct. I think it defaults to selector ADF ADF if 000 selected as it's part of the set up of this firmware.
Old 06 December 2018, 23:38   #6
Keir

Google "flashfloppy downloads". Download latest firmware zip. Inside you will find suitable autoboot/hxcsdfe files. If these don't work for you, you can raise an issue in github (the site that hosts flashfloppy). You can also update to the latest firmware in the zip you download. Update instructions are in the flashfloppy wiki.
Old 07 December 2018, 10:00   #7
sneckburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi mate, been doing a lot of research myself and from I've seen you don't use selector adf for flash floppy. You need autoboot files. See this link and near bottom it tells you the two files https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Initial-Setup

Great thanks for that, very helpful.

Looks like I'm using HxC compatible mode then. I might look into a rotary encoder at some point and an LCD display and use native mode, but the learning curve on this is steeper than expected. Most topics I find on here seem to be from people who have had Amigas since the 90's and discuss things in detail that would only make sense to those who already know quite a bit.