English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 27 July 2010, 20:09   #1
GCI

Setting up WinUAE to use Amiga Forever ROMs?

Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to Amiga, and although I was born just as the company was ending, I'd like to see what it was like back then

Anyhow, I've purchased Amiga Forever (the 2009 Plus edition) and I've downloaded/installed WinUAE 2.2.0. I've copied all of the included AF roms to a ROMs folder in WinUAE, and I've set the correct path to that folder. However, WinUAE fails to detect any of the roms, and it says that all emulation modes are unavailable. If someone can help me with getting WinUAE to detect the roms, that would be great. (And also tell me which one is the latest.)

Thanks!

~GCI

Old 27 July 2010, 20:12   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Copy the file rom.key over as well
Oh and welcome to EAB! Enjoy your stay
Old 27 July 2010, 20:17   #3
GCI

Oh, I needed that too? How simple!

And thank you for the welcome! I'm glad to be here

Old 27 July 2010, 20:55   #4
GCI

Oh, I've got another small question. I've created a hard disk image, but the HDTools cannot detect it, (or at least it thinks the status is unknown.) Does anyone know what to do here?

P.S. I'm trying to install Workbench 3.1. (That is the latest, right?)

Old 27 July 2010, 21:00   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If you mean that you have a HDF file now, you don't need HDTools to install WB. 3.1 is the latest on disks. There are 3.5 and 3.9 on CD. Since we aren't allowed to link to them here, you are on your own if you want to find them. Of course you can still buy 3.9
Old 27 July 2010, 21:15   #6
GCI

No problem, I'm sure I can find them

I did make a blank HDF image, (I think,) and I guess I'd just like the experience of installing it.

Old 27 July 2010, 22:27   #7
thomas

If you want to make a partitioned HDF, you need to enable RDB mode in WinUAE's Add Hardfile dialogue. And before you run HDToolbox you need to change it's icon information to read SCS_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device instead of scsi.device.
Old 28 July 2010, 05:07   #8
GCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
If you want to make a partitioned HDF, you need to enable RDB mode in WinUAE's Add Hardfile dialogue. And before you run HDToolbox you need to change it's icon information to read SCS_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device instead of scsi.device.
Do you mean SCSI_DEVICE_NAME?

I'm just about to test it. (I put both of the floppies in write-protected mode so I wouldn't delete that setting like I did last time, and D'oh!, I gotta save it again :P)

Old 28 July 2010, 05:13   #9
GCI

Ok, I did that, and the drive shows up in the list. Despite that, I cannot do anything, except for click Change Drive Type, at which point, nothing I do in there will enable the Ok button. Any ideas? (I'm thinking on making a tutorial video for this once I'm done, they seem far and few.)

Old 28 July 2010, 06:37   #10
GCI

Hmm, scratch that, it seems setting the drive to SCSI0, and leaving the parameter as default in Amiga seemed to work fine. Weird.

Old 28 July 2010, 10:08   #11
thomas

Driver needs to match the hardware:

Controller = UAE -> driver = uaehf.device
Controller = IDE or SCSI -> driver = scsi.device

IDE and SCSI controllers only work if you set chipset to a motherboard which has such a controller and if you select a KS ROM which contains the driver.

UAE controller works with every Amiga model and ROM because the driver is included in WinUAE.
Old 29 July 2010, 01:18   #12
GCI

That's interesting though, because going full UAE did not seem to work. Oh well.

Old 29 July 2010, 08:00   #13
thomas

You did not enable RDB mode.
Old 29 July 2010, 16:14   #14
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Why not ask Cloanto this? They are the bastards who encrypted the ROMs to make life difficult, and to whom you have paid money for a commercial product. Are you saying they won't provide technical support (nor any instructions, by the sounds of it) for their product?
Old 29 July 2010, 16:40   #15
GCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Why not ask Cloanto this? They are the bastards who encrypted the ROMs to make life difficult, and to whom you have paid money for a commercial product. Are you saying they won't provide technical support (nor any instructions, by the sounds of it) for their product?
Instructions do seem far and few, despite having an enormous FAQ section (in 6 pt font, I might add, which makes it annoying to read.)