English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 21 March 2020, 12:56   #1
Amigajay

Help with assigns for these games

Last edited by Amigajay; 07 February 2021 at 09:51.
Old 21 March 2020, 13:01   #2
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Kick Off 3 (ECS) have a WHDLoad slave.
http://www.whdload.de/games/KickOff3.html
Old 21 March 2020, 13:13   #3
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Kick Off 3 (ECS) have a WHDLoad slave.
http://www.whdload.de/games/KickOff3.html
Sorry, i should have made it clear, its an AGA version i’m after.
Old 21 March 2020, 13:19   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

on CD32 you cannot use whdload anyway for AGA since you need 3MB extra to store data.

I suppose you could include watchtower ? Earok included it using my cd32launch proggy. Benefits are that you can use joypad & you can use whdload patchlist in a special slave to patch stuff.

I may help with those. Can you drop the disc somewhere (or part of it, with the non-working stuff ?)
Old 21 March 2020, 13:25   #5
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
on CD32 you cannot use whdload anyway for AGA since you need 3MB extra to store data.

I suppose you could include watchtower ? Earok included it using my cd32launch proggy. Benefits are that you can use joypad & you can use whdload patchlist in a special slave to patch stuff.

I may help with those. Can you drop the disc somewhere (or part of it, with the non-working stuff ?)
Yeah, for some others i had no choice but to list them needing fastram.

Yep thanks i have added Watchtower with cd32launch, and all the other AGA titles, its just the games above that i need to add.

Ok thanks JOTD - here is the disc with only the games not working on it (bar a few others on the root) https://mega.nz/#!8BcF1QLL!qPoLbg56F...CW7IbXq6qrflJU

Last edited by Amigajay; 21 March 2020 at 13:34.
Old 21 March 2020, 14:37   #6
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Sorry, i should have made it clear, its an AGA version i’m after.

It's probably time to finally make the patch for the AGA version too, with the currently available extra time this should be doable.
Old 21 March 2020, 15:02   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

I'm tempted to create whdload slaves for the other ones, and as a bonus, if possible, try to make the games work from DOS

BTW @amigajay I checked your startup sequence you never call "freeanim". This allows to free precious memory from the "amiga cd32" startup animation. You definitely HAVE to do this.

Plus to speed bootup, always specify full path of the commands, specially if they are in C:

Quote:
C:freeanim >NIL: ; <-- what I'm talking about
C:SetPatch QUIET
C:Assign ENV: RAM:
C:Assign T: RAM:
C:doublespeed
Old 21 March 2020, 16:57   #8
Amigajay

Quote:
I'm tempted to create whdload slaves for the other ones, and as a bonus, if possible, try to make the games work from DOS

BTW @amigajay I checked your startup sequence you never call "freeanim". This allows to free precious memory from the "amiga cd32" startup animation. You definitely HAVE to do this.

Plus to speed bootup, always specify full path of the commands, specially if they are in C:
I’m not using the cd32.tm though and never have on any of my discs, so i have no animation to free memory from!

Though i will get in the habit of putting the full paths!
Old 22 March 2020, 17:25   #9
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
It's probably time to finally make the patch for the AGA version too, with the currently available extra time this should be doable.

And so I did. The AGA version is now supported, have fun.
Old 22 March 2020, 17:46   #10
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
And so I did. The AGA version is now supported, have fun.
Excellent! Thanks for the slave and fast turnaround
Old 22 March 2020, 18:09   #11
jotd
This cat is no more

the 5 non working games are probably a challenge to make work. i'm trying to do Liberation whdload for starters. not a piece of cake no wonder why it doesn't exist yet.
Old 22 March 2020, 18:59   #12
Amigajay

Quote:
the 5 non working games are probably a challenge to make work. i'm trying to do Liberation whdload for starters. not a piece of cake no wonder why it doesn't exist yet.
Whdload withstanding, do you see any reason why these games won’t load on my disc as is? Is it maybe cd read errors? Or some workbench library i’m missing?
Old 22 March 2020, 19:02   #13
jotd
This cat is no more

Dunno. doing the whdload slave will make things easier, and a whdload slave will exist to investigate

I'm under the impression that the bare CD32 (without fastmem) has less chip memory than a bare A1200 because of the CD drivers. But I didn't check.
Old 22 March 2020, 19:05   #14
Amigajay

Quote:
Dunno. doing the whdload slave will make things easier, and a whdload slave will exist to investigate

I'm under the impression that the bare CD32 (without fastmem) has less chip memory than a bare A1200 because of the CD drivers. But I didn't check.
It’s not a chipmem issue, as when i test these i always double check by adding 4mb chipram to the setup.
Old 22 March 2020, 21:51   #15
jotd
This cat is no more

good thinking (I sometimes test games with 4MB chip on winuae just to make sure!)

I wonder why those games had no whdload slave. Probably because most of other whdload coders (beside me) don't like tinkering with kickstart emulation and prefer games that bang the metal with custom loaders, and wepl has just no time for this

Also because those games are already hd installable, but as we can see, hd installable doesn't mean compatible.
Old 02 May 2020, 01:04   #16
jotd
This cat is no more

Amigajay I couldn't make any of your request work. I started by CaptiveII but your crack seems to fail (access fault). My original version at least boots from whdload.

But for the CD32 version I suppose (maybe it doesn't work) that removing the voice files could work. Not sure. Game is huge otherwise.
Old 02 May 2020, 07:07   #17
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post

Inherit The Earth - again no room for CD32 version, A1200 version needs to write a save file before starting, above my head but is there a way to tell it to do a save to ramdisk? i have the feeling its hard coded though.

cd games/InherittheEarthAGA
c:setprefs system-configuration
setup.exe
aga.exe
endcli >NIL:
It looks like all you need to do is specify "ram:" as the save directory in setup.exe, but it seems that the versions that I have (the one on our unofficial CD32 release) need to have the large "voices" file present, even when running AGA.exe or ECS.exe. If you've got a non-talkie version of the game, you should be able to do that setup.exe trick to make it run from a read only filesystem.
Old 02 May 2020, 10:50   #18
Retro1234
Phone Homer

You probably tried already Assign DF0: ""
Search through exe with Hex editor for DF0

A good test I find is does the game Run(boot) perfectly ok from DF1 ? Does it work with no DF0
Does it work (boot) from RAD - copy whole disk not just files. Diskcopy
(does it need trackdisk)

Above tests without and with assigns if needed

This might determine does the game work without a physical DF0 does the game need to boot from Root does the game have some hidden or something filesystem does it use Trackdisk.

Last edited by Retro1234; 02 May 2020 at 11:42.
Old 02 May 2020, 17:30   #19
Amigajay

Quote:
Amigajay I couldn't make any of your request work. I started by CaptiveII but your crack seems to fail (access fault). My original version at least boots from whdload.

But for the CD32 version I suppose (maybe it doesn't work) that removing the voice files could work. Not sure. Game is huge otherwise.
I think i know whats wrong with Bograts and Penguins, Microsoft Windows! Because those games have files beginning with 'CON' which is one of the words Window's can't seemingly have two of on the same drive (what is this 1985?!!) it either deletes the file when unzipping, or renames the file (can't change it back or delete without doing some old DOS shit!). I guess i need to extract and recompile the ISO within an Amiga environment in those cases (have been used to the luxury and speed of ISOCD for ages now!).

Tracksuit Manager 2 - the game needs the disks to be write enabled, is there anyway to put the game into RAM and run from there?

Will try and remove CD32 voice with Liberation, although i have a feeling i may have tried that a couple of months ago, will try again and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
It looks like all you need to do is specify "ram:" as the save directory in setup.exe, but it seems that the versions that I have (the one on our unofficial CD32 release) need to have the large "voices" file present, even when running AGA.exe or ECS.exe. If you've got a non-talkie version of the game, you should be able to do that setup.exe trick to make it run from a read only filesystem.
Already tried that, still says it failed to do the setup. Even tried making a small dummy voice file to use your version with, didn't work
Old 02 May 2020, 17:38   #20
Aladin

for generic whdload install for Bograts, i have add a command on a startup-sequence and add a copy of the file with different name for bypassed windows. But it requires writing to disk at first launch

if not exists sys:-S-/DATA/CON.SHAPES.PAK
copy sys:-S-/DATA/-CON.SHAPES.PAK sys:-S-/DATA/CON.SHAPES.PAK
endif

Same thing with Penguins:
Code:
if not exists sys:DATA/STAGE1/CON.SHAPES.PAK
copy sys:DATA/STAGE1/-CON.SHAPES.PAK sys:DATA/STAGE1/CON.SHAPES.PAK
endif  

if not exists sys:DATA/STAGE2/CON.SHAPES.PAK
copy sys:DATA/STAGE2/-CON.SHAPES.PAK sys:DATA/STAGE2/CON.SHAPES.PAK
endif  

if not exists sys:DATA/STAGE3/CON.SHAPES.PAK
copy sys:DATA/STAGE3/-CON.SHAPES.PAK sys:DATA/STAGE3/CON.SHAPES.PAK
endif
Popped between code tags to remove the smilies - BippyM

Last edited by BippyM; 02 May 2020 at 18:30.