English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 December 2016, 22:11   #41
eXeler0

Interested in one or two.. Already have 2x SNES controllers (China clones) that were DOA. Now they could make themselves useful again ;-)

Do we have a ballpark figure for the pricing yet?
Old 13 December 2016, 00:14   #42
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Do we have a ballpark figure for the pricing yet?
I have decided to charge 12€ per kit (pcb + components, excluding the overlay stickers). I have eight kits now, more are on the way. Shipping costs will be around 2-3€ depending on destination (airmail padded envelope).

In addition to the kit you will need a gamepad of choice that is able to fit the pcb, and a 9-pin cable + connector (atari joystick extension cable or similar).

I will have the overlay stickers printed when I figure out a good way to do it, the price for those (uncut) will be around 2€.

I can also sell a few assembled gamepads (using ibuffalo or cheaper snes gamepad clones) if anybody are willing to pay for the parts + work.
Old 13 December 2016, 10:50   #43
wmsteele

Interested in 1 kit... start sending some PM's, I'm sure you will sell out in no time
Old 23 December 2016, 07:01   #44
pgovotsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchmaster View Post
I can also sell a few assembled gamepads (using ibuffalo or cheaper snes gamepad clones) if anybody are willing to pay for the parts + work.
I'd definitely be interested in at least two assembled gamepads.
Old 23 December 2016, 10:00   #45
eXeler0

Payment sent for 1. Check PM.

Skickat från min LG-H850 via Tapatalk
Old 24 December 2016, 09:55   #46
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Payment sent for 1. Check PM.

A kit is on the way! Instructions will follow!
Old 30 December 2016, 14:40   #47
Reborn

Nice work with the kits! - gives opportunity to create custom controllers. I am interested in two. PM sent.

Old 30 December 2016, 14:43   #48
eXeler0

Quote:
A kit is on the way! Instructions will follow!
Kit received. Not yet had the time to take a proper look at it. But it looks nice and small.

Old 24 January 2017, 00:29   #49
wmsteele

Bought a cheap £5 replica SNES pad to give it a go, cable from a broken megadrive pad, worked first time... although its an incredibly tight fit. Thanks witchmaster

Old 24 January 2017, 15:31   #50
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsteele View Post
Bought a cheap £5 replica SNES pad to give it a go, cable from a broken megadrive pad, worked first time... although its an incredibly tight fit. Thanks witchmaster
Cool! Glad you got it to work! Where did you buy that gamepad? It looks a bit better than the about 3€ ones on eBay.

I found the perfect gamepad to use for this project, on eBay there are black SNES style gamepads sold under the name "Next", you can get two of these for about 12€ + shipping. The PCB on these is a bit thicker so the buttons have a somewhat better response, and since it's black it fits the CD32 better of course.

Below are some photos of the gamepad being assembled, I glued cardboard at the ends of the PCB to support the rubber for the left direction and the blue button (better response).

Notice the cable tie on the cable, the actual gamepad case also keeps the cable quite secure since it's thicker than the USB cable it was designed for.

Last edited by MickGyver; 24 January 2017 at 18:10.
Old 24 January 2017, 16:54   #51
spannernick
Retro Nuts

What ever you do DON'T use the white Sega Saturn USB pads,the D pad is crap and brakes easily.Nice work..
Old 24 January 2017, 17:38   #52
wmsteele

Drat... I'm going to have to do a black one now
Old 25 January 2017, 09:39   #53
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Could you possibly give us a quote, or at least a ballpark figure of how much it may cost for us to purchase a controller fully assembled by you?
Old 25 January 2017, 12:21   #54
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
Could you possibly give us a quote, or at least a ballpark figure of how much it may cost for us to purchase a controller fully assembled by you?
I have come to that conclusion that to assemble one of these gamepads takes too long, assembling a few is ok, but assembling and selling these is not really viable.

BUT I'm currently waiting for a batch of PCBs I designed that entirely replaces the original PCBs in the gamepads. I'm not sure if these will work yet since I haven't seen them or tested them, but I should receive the PCBs any day now. They are thicker than the original USB PCBs and also bigger (entirely covers the rubber pieces) so the button response can be really good with these if all works out. The pads will have an ENIG finish (Electroless nickel immersion gold)

Also the replacement PCBs are designed for surface mount components so I need to order those also (I will order when I have inspected the PCBs). I will update this thread about the progress. If all works out well I will be able to make assembled gamepads for others to a reasonable price.

Old 25 January 2017, 13:17   #55
wmsteele

Excellent work, will you offer diy kits for sale as well? If so count me in for another
Old 25 January 2017, 23:16   #56
chaos

Hi, any chance to get a kit still? I think I have an appropriate USB gamepad I could mod...
Old 26 January 2017, 14:57   #57
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
Hi, any chance to get a kit still? I think I have an appropriate USB gamepad I could mod...
Yep, but at the moment I'm out of the 74LS165AN chips, I ordered more over a month ago and they still haven't arrived...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsteele View Post
Excellent work, will you offer diy kits for sale as well? If so count me in for another
I will sell kits of both projects (as long as the new replacement PCB works ok).
Old 27 January 2017, 00:19   #58
amigoun

Perfect clever idea for complete pcb replacement. Definitely interested.
Old 28 January 2017, 22:11   #59
MickGyver

I received the replacement PCBs yesterday, they look really nice and they also fit into the SNES style USB gamepad shell! I connected the wires of the DPAD and tested it on my Amiga 500 (the directions are connected directly to pins on the gamepad, same as normal joysticks). The DPAD works really well, it's very responsive thanks to the thickness of the PCB and the careful positioning of the pads that I did (maybe also thanks to the ENIG (immersion gold) finish of the pads).

Now I need to wait for the components to arrive so I can test the other buttons, but it looks promising.

I couldn't find any ready made gamepad "pads" part in Eagle so I designed them myself. I was worried that I would do something wrong but they turned out splendidly:
Old 29 January 2017, 01:57   #60
wmsteele

Very nice... interested in two when your ready