English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 April 2012, 18:20   #21
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
But better a live WIP that can be seen rather than someone saying they are doing something with no tangible results
Certainly, but even better is a playable game

Quote:
And maybe YM emulation won't be as easy as I think, but thats the fun of doing the work, if it was easy, all these games would have been converted years ago
Anyway if you need help, don't hesitate.
Old 16 April 2012, 19:02   #22
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Certainly, but even better is a playable game

Anyway if you need help, don't hesitate.
It will only be playable once I sort out the ST mouse packet information to convert to Amiga, once thats done, then at least it can be played
Old 17 April 2012, 14:49   #23
kamelito
Zone Friend

Thanks for working on that port.
Kamel
Old 17 April 2012, 16:04   #24
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Wow, one of my favorite 80s games finally coming to Amiga Thank you Galahad !

Hope this trend keeps up...
Old 18 April 2012, 01:46   #25
lesta_smsc

This looks like a good game! A bit like Flight of the Amazon Queen?! Keep up the good work Galahad/FLT!
Old 19 April 2012, 12:42   #26
Amiga1992

I love these new Atari ST conversions, I think it's great to have these on the Amiga.

But I can't help to notice: remember the days when we complained about Atari ST shovelware? Now we're excited about it

What are the chances of taking these and upgrading them to meet Amiga standards?
Old 19 April 2012, 13:02   #27
Mequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
But I can't help to notice: remember the days when we complained about Atari ST shovelware? Now we're excited about it
Hah!

I'm wondering if a port of Robotron: 2084 would be feasible? It would be nice to have a native Amiga port of the game which inspired Llamatron.
Old 19 April 2012, 14:39   #28
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I love these new Atari ST conversions, I think it's great to have these on the Amiga.

What are the chances of taking these and upgrading them to meet Amiga standards?
Theres every possibility of doing that, but personally, i'm more keen on getting them running, and then once thats been done, maybe releasing a more Amigafied version.

Bearing in mind though that I can update the titlescreen to the box image, and maybe get someone to do a better sounding module for the music, and maybe improve the ingame samples, but the main game graphics will still be the same.
Old 19 April 2012, 16:05   #29
AmigaFriend

Quote:
YM conversion i've been told can be quite painless for Amiga, simply redirecting the YM calls to the correct Amiga registers should get it up and running, and doing it on an interrupt, I can't envisage it getting too heavy.
You mean you're considering making/using a YM sound engine emulation on the Amiga version?

...and great job Galahad!
Old 19 April 2012, 16:33   #30
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
You mean you're considering making/using a YM sound engine emulation on the Amiga version?

...and great job Galahad!
Yes, its what Meynaf did for his Atari conversions. I'd obviously prefer using a module, but, at the moment, virtually all of the 512k of chip ram is used up.
Old 19 April 2012, 17:26   #31
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

I think from a purists stand point it is good to have a straight 1:1 port of the Atari ST original then an upgraded version later.

Personally the YM chip sound doesn't bother me, I quite like the sound of it in many cases, and on different hardware.

I think International Karate on the Atari ST is a good use case for YM chip sound.
Old 19 April 2012, 17:27   #32
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think from a purists stand point it is good to have a straight 1:1 port of the Atari ST original then an upgraded version later.

Personally the YM chip sound doesn't bother me, I quite like the sound of it in many cases, and on different hardware.

I think International Karate on the Atari ST is a good use case for YM chip sound.
Weird thing is, the Spectrum 128 version of Where Time Stood Still sounds better!
Old 19 April 2012, 17:33   #33
chiark
Needs a life

This is pretty damn cool. Just a query: is the whdload slave also doing the necessary emulation?
Old 19 April 2012, 17:34   #34
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Weird thing is, the Spectrum 128 version of Where Time Stood Still sounds better!
Exactly... or maybe I am just more used to it since I played the game to death on my +2 128k

Can't wait for the Amiga version though . Hopefully someone can make a decent .MOD conversion of the tune... But even the YM emulation one will do.
Old 19 April 2012, 17:40   #35
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Very similar PSG's I'd mostly put it down to a better composer if anything.
Old 19 April 2012, 18:12   #36
Amiga1992

How small does the MOD need to be for it to be included on the game, Galahad?
Old 19 April 2012, 19:41   #37
vulture

thx Galahad, a really great game!
Old 19 April 2012, 19:56   #38
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
How small does the MOD need to be for it to be included on the game, Galahad?
Let me get back to you mate, I might yet make it 1meg only, which then frees up a lot of chip ram, as I can store all the ST graphics in fast ram and just have the Amiga specific stuff and program code in chip ram.

At the moment, 5k would probably be an over exaggeration of how much room is left!
Old 19 April 2012, 19:58   #39
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
This is pretty damn cool. Just a query: is the whdload slave also doing the necessary emulation?
No.

WHDLoad is a useful tool for quick development. If there are any accesses to Atari ST registers I haven't picked up on, if anything tries to access one through an address register, WHDLoad exits immediately and tells me.

Quicker way of debugging, loading the game from hard drive instead of floppy.

Once I have it fully working using WHDLoad, then I'll be able to quickly master a floppy version, and then adapt the WHDLoad version to support that version so everyone starts off with the same version, and thus bug reports become meaningful.
Old 19 April 2012, 20:27   #40
AmigaFriend

Quote:
One thing that can do this is if one tune was developed say in the Spectrum 128 with a AY-3-8910 and then simply transplanted to the ST that uses a YM2149. Also the sound chip frequencies are also different 2Mhz on the ST, 1.77Mhz on the Spectrum, and this would also alter significantly envelope times and tuning.

One good example is the Xenon tune: it sounds ok in the ST, slight off on the Spectrum but sounding better, and absolute shit in the CPC (which has the AY clocked at 1Mhz).

Also, in my opinion, the AY has a much better sound compared to the YM.

Last edited by AmigaFriend; 19 April 2012 at 20:43.