English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 May 2006, 12:14   #1
Ebster

3com Ethernet card and AmiTCP make my System freeze!

I have setup a 3com pcmcia ethernet card connected to my router with amitcp 3.02b on workbench3.0 following these instructions: http://www.acc.umu.se/~patrikax/amig...miTCP_Install/

i can ping my router ip from amiga with no problems.

i can ping my amiga ip from pc with no problems.

internet adresses were not able to ping until i did this:

adding default route in bin/startnet with my router ip i can ping e.g. www.google.de

i cannot ping my pc ip from amiga side.

starting amiga explorer on amiga side - everything ok - and then on pc side an error occurs. something about error initializing socket.

How can i fix this?

when i boot amitcp 4.0 from the disk i got with the ethernet card i can only ping the router from amiga side and the amiga from pc side - but no internet adresses from amiga side and not the pc from amiga side. amiga explorer works fine with the disk...

if possible i do not want to use this disk!

i want to use amitcp3.02b in fully working condition because it is free, no pop up, and it recognizes my internet connection without any problems. please no suggestions about miami or similar because i don´t use mui and other things.. amitcp to me seemed the simplest way to set everything up and i would like to keep it simple.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Ebster; 10 May 2006 at 19:53.
Old 06 May 2006, 14:37   #2
Ebster

to be more precise..

amiga explorer on amiga side says: error initializing socket connection!

..but i can ping my pc now, firewall rule had to be set...
Old 06 May 2006, 15:51   #3
Jope
-

Did you also add a firewall rule for Amiga Explorer?
Old 10 May 2006, 15:53   #4
Ebster

OK, all the rules are set.. and all transfers/pings are ok. i am using amitcp 4.0 right now (anyone knows how to remove the popup? nsdi doesn´t seem to exist anymore - neither sources for v.4.3 - if some one could put that in the ZONE???!)

BUT NOW I AM EXPERIENCING VARIOUS SYSTEM FREEZES. e.g. snow bros whdload sometimes cannot be started or if started not quit properly.

my setup:
a1200
blizzard 030 8mb fast
40 gig ide via idefix and sfs
3com 3cxe589et pcmcia ethernet card using 3c589.device with cardreset and cardpatch in startup-sequence

without amitcp started the whole system works fine (card still in port)

i read there could be some memory issues with cards/pcmcia-ports on the a1200... so is there any hope for me to make this run stable?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10 May 2006, 16:22   #5
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

I've just found the same problem today with MiamiDX, if its running the games seem to freeze. With it off everything works as it should.
Old 10 May 2006, 22:14   #6
patrik

@Ebster:

Check this page for more information regarding TCP/IP-stacks and lockups when using WHDLoad.

Btw, regarding the default route, you must have forgotten to add the default gateway at point 30 in the guide.

You could always try checking with SnoopDos when starting Amiga Explorer to see if it is missing anything.
Old 10 May 2006, 23:50   #7
Ebster

you saved me a lot of time. i kept everything in the user-startup exept the "startnet" command and took the startamitcp and stopamitcp icons out of the patch2amitcp43 archive from aminet. copied them to my System: and now i can turn the thing on an of by clicking those two icons without messing around in shell. yippieee!
Old 11 May 2006, 14:45   #8
Jope
-

Don't load networking if you play WHDLoad games.
Old 11 May 2006, 21:08   #9
Ebster

i don´t do that anymore - just switch it on and off for occasional networking usage with my startnet and stopnet buttons.

...but something very strange happened during my tests. i had two folders of snowbros whdload (files version from the zone) - one in my system: and one in my work: partition. to test compatibility with tcp/ip stack i always started the game in the work: partition and tried to play snowbros with my megadrive two button pad. most of the times i didn´t even get to play (my system freezed) and when i got to play the second button ("jump") did not work - game freezed. now that i don´t start whdload together with the tcp/ip stack anymore i find out that the version i was using for compatibility tests on work: still keeps denying my second button (no freeze, game can be quit with "*") while my system:snowbros works like a charm - VERY STRANGE...
Old 07 August 2006, 14:45   #10
DanE

Ebster,

Im having exactly the same problem, ive used exactly the same guide,im using amitcp 3.0b2 on workbench 2.5 with a 3com pcmcia card.

I can ping both ways amiga - pc and pc - amiga, when i double click on the amiga explorer icon on the amiga it loads up fine, but as soon as i click on amiga explorer on the pc a window pops up on the amiga saying failed to initialize socket.

ive got a disk that came with the card but like you dont wont to have to keep using the disk and also with the disk i get the same error.

How did you sort this out?

Please,please help its doing my head in

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Never mind ive managed to install and get miami working, Amiga explorer works, the only downside that i am seeing is the speed, I have altered the packet size on both amiga explorer icons (PC & Amiga) to 32768, but it takes app 2 minutes to copy an adf image to floppy, But if i use the disk that came with my 3com card, that uses aminet and theres a tool called tsgui and that can copy a floppie in 1 minute. Any ideas on how i can speed up aexlorer to be just as fast.

Last edited by DanE; 09 August 2006 at 13:09.