English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 May 2006, 19:28   #41
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek2k
@Mungo why would anyone have Hatred for Majicmushroom??? i never met him till after the/(our) scene days but he was always a chipper bloke to me lol

AFAIK he always sent back disks to swappers and had the utmost respect from the groups he was in apart from them dodgy rave tapes he used to swap in GV mags

His packs were well respected too it wasn't some group/scene war was it

@Majic if you wanna get a torrent going etc i'll upload them all to a few torrent sites etc well 1 or 2

Would be wicked m8!
Old 13 May 2006, 13:00   #42
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

@ Mungo:

heh The Unity thing didn't turn out how it was supposed to have. I think a lot of "chinese whispers" went on between groups about it. But yeah, it wasn't one of my better ideas.

But it was a long time ago, 1991 to be precise - I copped a lot of shit for it, had a few dodgy phone calls at 2 in the morning threatening to break my legs, but hey, I can look after myself.

The whole Unity thing didn't do good for Ipec Elite, they split up after not getting into the Unity movement. I was blamed for that also, but I have spoken at length with Birdy several times about this and was told Unity was only the straw that broke the camels back - Ipec were on their arse, even if the rest of the scene didn't know it.

@ Sarek:

Thanks dude, I need to look into getting the files on torrent. I'll talk to you on MSN later when my hangover subsides!

Thanks for the kind words too, I'm sure Mungo knows that 15 years on we're all of a different mindset, and given that he's probably the same age as me, we were all a bit hot-headed at 17
Old 15 May 2006, 12:31   #43
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajicMushroom
heh The Unity thing didn't turn out how it was supposed to have.
Lol

To be honest if I met my 15/16/17 year old self today, they'd probably get a firm, but fair, punch in the gob.

Had no idea you copped so much grief over it. I always thought the agro you had from me was as bad as it got. I guess I was mistaken.

Always liked Ipec Elite myself. Can't remember if I knew Birdy, I was in contact with someone from IE on, pretty much, a weekly basis for a while. I think it was Birdy (Sorry if you ever read this, my memory is bad at the best of times. Let alone after so many years). You're right though, they were having severe problems anyway. So to blame a movement that didn't really mean much is pretty tenuous.

By 1991, I remember the UK scene had become very eliteist. It was very difficult for any small groups to get so much as a look in. Even the 'big' groups had some very deep-seated issues with one another. There was real hatred between LSD and Anthrox and I seem to remember members of Anarchy and Ecstacy/Qube coming to blows at one point.

All a bit silly looking back on it

Last edited by Mungo; 15 May 2006 at 12:48.
Old 15 May 2006, 13:18   #44
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Yeah, Unity did seem like some sort of elitist club, guessing thats why it didn't last very long!

I was in LSD at the time.
Old 15 May 2006, 13:52   #45
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
I was in LSD at the time.
I've been trying to place the nick 'Galahad' since I signed up to this forum.

Christ, I've already had to make one apology on here since signing up. Do I need to make another?

Last edited by Mungo; 15 May 2006 at 14:02.
Old 15 May 2006, 14:51   #46
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

@ Mungo:

Yeah, got a fair amount of shit from a few smaller groups. At the end of the day it was the leaders of the groups in Unity who voted whether or not other groups could join.

The actual premise of Unity was born off the back of the "Friendship" movement in Europe. The idea was for the groups in Unity to get together to produce co-op demos. The bigger aim was a megademo style production with a part by each group. Sadly it never got that far.

The scrollers you wrote were part and parcel of something quite high profile for the UK failing. Scroll-text is just that, text. I remember the Digital Party 91, you were staring at me, I was staring at you, each knowing who each other were and thinking, "If he was serious about fighting me, he'd be over like a shot" heh.

The phone calls I never took serious, it wasn't like it was difficult to find out my address and phone number, it was plastered all over my packs.

The group popping up called "Rage against the mushroom" did make me slightly paranoid though heh

There always has been wars between groups - Anarchy and Digital had a huge battle, with them mostly being Barnsley / Yorkshire based. I remember people hating Qube as well, in fact do you remember a pisstake intro by Pube?

I don't know who did that *cough* :P
Old 15 May 2006, 15:22   #47
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Quote:
I remember the Digital Party 91, you were staring at me, I was staring at you, each knowing who each other were and thinking, "If he was serious about fighting me, he'd be over like a shot" heh.

Yeah, I vaguely remember that. Made things quite awkward for a lot of people who got on with both of us.

Quote:
There always has been wars between groups - Anarchy and Digital had a huge battle, with them mostly being Barnsley / Yorkshire based. I remember people hating Qube as well, in fact do you remember a pisstake intro by Pube?

I don't know who did that *cough* :P
Yes, I wonder.

Edit: Actually, I really do wonder. I always thought that was Anarchy! As far as I know, so did Qube. Something you're not telling us?

'We can't code, but we can suck dicks' was the slogan. I think the thing that really did kick off the fight was Mole/Anarchy spreading that unfinished Qube demo (which looked like it would have been excellent had Firefly ever finished it). Mole quit the scene soon after that.

Qube's 'bootloader by Kris' thing was pretty funny in return. Ezy used a hex editor to change the Ecstasy one, which in all fairness it looked like Anarchy had ripped from Ecstasy lock, stock and barrel, to credit Kris.

I thought it was genuinely an Anarchy product for a while. The first I knew about it was when Mr. Big asked me to 'stop using that fucking bootloader for Christ's sake' on my packs.

It was pretty heavy going when all of that kicked off. I'd be talking to Firefly or Ezy one minute, listening to them slating Anarchy, and then talking to Mr. Big or Mystik the next and hearing it go the other way.

Had really good friends on both sides. So am glad neither group tried to drag us into it. As a group, we were closer to Qube/Ecstasy though - I used to live down the road from most of them.

Had enough arguments of our own to be getting on with at the time.

Don't recall a lot of the Digital/Anarchy one. Might have been after my time.

Last edited by Mungo; 15 May 2006 at 17:06.
Old 15 May 2006, 16:43   #48
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

heh Yeps, the "We can't code but can suck dicks" - Parasite / Pazza twigged straight away it was me as it was on my Magic Packs first. As far as I know, he never told anyone about it.

I don't know WHY I did it, I think it came from a few conversations with people getting on the Qube slagging bandwagon. At the time it was all I could code, a picture, module playing and starfield....

Anarchy and Digital was more of a local feud than a fight, a lot of demo scene willy waving really
Old 15 May 2006, 17:03   #49
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Quote:
Anarchy and Digital was more of a local feud than a fight, a lot of demo scene willy waving really
Yeah, there was always a lot of that going on

I think the Anarchy/Qube one was the only war that ever got serious. Havoc had to be pulled off of Kris at one of the shows from what I heard.

Hahaha. You did well keeping that 'Pube' demo quiet. Everyone I knew just assumed it was Anarchy.

Hydro and I knocked up a couple of RSI demo creator 'demos' (He did the [ahem] 'code' and I did the [cough] 'music') for a couple of groups. 'Genestealers' were the lucky recipients of one of them, can't remember who else.

Totally random of course - Neither group had really done anything to upset us (other than be a bit 'lame'). Was good fun though
Old 15 May 2006, 20:16   #50
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

heh Like I said, don't know why I did it, but clearly I had it in for some...

Awesome demo heh

Wet Dreamer was obviously Dream Warrior
Horsefly naturally Firefly
Haddock as Havok lol

Thing is, I didn't actually have anything against Havok or Firefly, in fact I knew Firefly from his THR days and really liked him.

The scene was an odd thing but I wouldn't have changed it for the world, great days!
Old 15 May 2006, 20:23   #51
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

That intro reminds me of the 'Shitstream' intro that took the piss out of Slipstream, someone ripped off N.O.M.A.D.s Crystal/Paradroid text scroller, no-one ever did admit to that, though it was assumed it was Skol then in Scorpion Developments.
Old 15 May 2006, 20:25   #52
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Well it weren't me

If you find it however, let Nitro know cos he's been after it for ages.
Old 15 May 2006, 20:25   #53
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo
I've been trying to place the nick 'Galahad' since I signed up to this forum.

Christ, I've already had to make one apology on here since signing up. Do I need to make another?

no, your quite safe there mate

I used to be 'Harlequin' whilst in LSD, and whilst briefly in Scoopex I kept the same name. Before I joined Dual Crew Shining, I changed to Galahad and kept that name through Rednex to Fairlight.

I am so showing my age now!!!

I can't actually remember when I first bumped into Trevor (Magic), was it at the Digital Copy party in Rotherham?
Old 15 May 2006, 20:39   #54
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Yeah, would have been the Digital Party 91 - Where we were in Razor - Paradroid won the realtime demo competion with that snazzy Razor intro.
Old 15 May 2006, 20:44   #55
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Hahaha. Kewl gfx dewd!

Nice that you kept all that old stuff. I lost my miggy ages ago. But what really upsets me is losing my A590. All my graphics, all the old Anthrox stuff - all gone. At least most of the ATX demos are around online, but losing my old work hurts. Even if it was a bit crap compared to the top gfx bods of the time.

Firefly and Havok were two of the most sound people I ever met on the scene. They both joined Anthrox after Qube died. Havok quit the scene soon after (If I remember rightly), but Firefly coded us an excellent little intro.

Yeah, Harlequin rings a bell too. So long ago....

Skol joined Anthrox too. Can't remember ever really having much contact with him (That side of the group was more Hydro's look out and it was around the time I was getting very lazy and fading off of the scene), didn't ever hear anything about who coded that intro.

Could have been anyone by that time, Slipstream were a shadow of the group they once were.
Old 15 May 2006, 21:13   #56
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Firefly coded The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Demo for Liquid Gold too.... Cost us £10 heh And it had terrible Spectrum colour clash.. Bless

Old 15 May 2006, 22:30   #57
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Quote:
Cost us £10 heh And it had terrible Spectrum colour clash.. Bless
Hahahaha. The mercenary sod

Edit: At the time, did you realise that you'd named your group after a well known brand of poppers?
Old 15 May 2006, 23:44   #58
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

heh Sort of, but it seemed like a decent name at the time. Those were the glory days!
Old 15 May 2006, 23:49   #59
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Well it weren't me

If you find it however, let Nitro know cos he's been after it for ages.
I remember seeing it on an LSD disk, can't remember what the pack names were. Menu by Shagratt with twisty horizontal copper bars I think, micro tunes by various people.
Old 16 May 2006, 01:56   #60
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Here's another one for you:

Anyone remember Sabrewulf? Remember the demo some kind soul made about him with the song:

"I'm fresh Rik,
If you know what I mean.
The fastest trader on the modem scene!"

Sung in a high squeeky voice.

Cracked me up.