English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 29 October 2001, 17:41   #1
MethodGit

Smile Doom

Anyone know which is the best configuration to handle this baby at PC speed?

But then again that would depend entirely on which Amiga port you use. What would you lot say is the best one to utilise?

And finally, is it possible to get music in the Amiga version?
Old 29 October 2001, 21:48   #2
RetroMan

I attached an image of ADoom 1.3 running in WinUAE, dunno really why the colors are fucked, but the important thing is in the right corner, the FPS .... I get 30 fps with standart AIAB config (default for Workbench usage) ..... and I have music and sfx as I said, I really dunno, why colors are a mess, while playing all is normal .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doom.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1143  
Old 29 October 2001, 22:06   #3
Amigaboy

I used to run this on my 030 A1200 at full speed

But, once again, stick to the PC version as it's better (speed/stresswise)

(I'll be saying this whenever I feel it's best to use a different platform so you'd better learn to deal with it PC haters )

Old 29 October 2001, 22:25   #4
RetroMan

Uhhh calm down a bit..... I´m no PC Hater (as you might thought out of another thread .... Sim City 2000 perhaps ) ..... I´m just a WinBLOWS Hater Anyway, here it is the other way around, the game itself doesn´t matter, for me the trick is, to get the Amiga Port of a game run as fast and smooth as the Win Version, I won´t play the game itself for long anyway
Old 29 October 2001, 23:44   #5
Drake1009

Have any of you tried the enhancements for doom? I've tried installing them on Doom2. Of course it looks nice with full mouselook, 3D models and light flares when you fire some weapons but it still doesn't beat the old feel. Somehow the pixelisation added to the atmosphere.
Old 30 October 2001, 21:17   #6
MethodGit

@RetroMan:

maybe you're getting garbled graphics because you're running it in AIAB perhaps? I remember recently, when I ran the version of Doom that came from Ami Sector One (it was a pre-installed ADoom + shareware WAD combo), it ran like a charm, but every few seconds the colours on the screen would "spill out" (hope those are the right words, it's hard to describe) like mad and then turn back to normal again.

Or are you saying the colours went "ploop, gurlpxdoeqaswyhnujmikojt" when you took the screenshot?
Old 30 October 2001, 21:29   #7
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by MarzAttakz
@RetroMan:
Or are you saying the colours went "ploop, gurlpxdoeqaswyhnujmikojt" when you took the screenshot?
That was exactly what I was trying to say with my poor english The game itself got NO color problems at all ....
Old 31 October 2001, 16:45   #8
Tim Janssen

Stick out tongue Confusing thoughts about emulating

Err.. excuse me, but what is the point of emulating Doom in an Amiga emulator on PC while you can play the original in plain DOS? Is it just out of curiosity how well the emulator can handle complex Amiga games?

Personally I think emulating a game which is a conversion from PC on an Amiga that is being emulated on PC, is a bit pointless unless I have played that game before on Amiga. (Phew -is this phrase right?) It is like using a C64 emulator for Amiga in an Amiga emulator on PC.:laugh
Old 31 October 2001, 17:06   #9
Drake1009

One of the points could be that if I try to play it under DOS my GeForce will make sure that it's more choppy than the Amiga emulation I would get. I like the way the game lags in beat with the midi background music though.
Old 01 November 2001, 10:18   #10
Tim Janssen

Unhappy Graphics cards & emulator performance

Drake1009,
If it is true these new graphic cards cause trouble under DOS I am starting to get a little worried. I am planning to buy a new PC and want to play my 'old' DOS games like Doom on that machine. Damn, PCs really s**k.

How is the performance of Doom or another next-gen Amiga game (E.g. Wipeout 2097, Tales from Heaven) in an emulator? Is the framerate acceptable and are there any glitches?
Old 01 November 2001, 10:33   #11
Paul
RIP Friends

I think it is time for an MS-DOS emulator similar to Winfellow or Winuae, if they don't already exist. I have some dos games that worked with my old p120 but not with my PB PII 450.
Old 01 November 2001, 10:39   #12
kriz

Tim: Not sure about Tales From heaven (remember it to be slow on 040/25Mhz) but WipeOut 2097 wont work, since it is ppc only..
Old 01 November 2001, 11:29   #13
Tim Janssen

Arrow About PPC & DOS emulation

Kriz:
PPC-What is that? Is it one of those accelerated graphic cards for Amiga? I have to admit I have missed the whole Amiga (r)evolution once I left the scene in 1995.
About Tales from Heaven: I remember an Amiga Format review which said the game came in two flavours: One for Amigas with a RTG-card(?) under their belt and one for 'plain' accelerated AGA machines. The difference between the versions was the detail in graphics and number of filled textures.

Paul:
Can't agree more about emulating DOS. Seeing my collection of DOS-games which I bought in the past five years become extinct would be a nightmare. On my new PC I still want to play DOS-games like Blood, Big Red Racing and Descent. I can't miss them.
Old 01 November 2001, 11:46   #14
Paul
RIP Friends

http://www.dosemu.org/

Here is one for Linux OS, we just need one for Win9x
Old 01 November 2001, 11:59   #15
Amigaboy

PPC = Power PC. It's a CPU type made by Motorola and is primarily used in the Macintosh. The Amiga finally got it a couple of years ago

There is 2 versions of Tales From Heaven as you said. One RTG and one AGA. I have yet to try the RTG one, but I have played the AGA one on my 030 Amiga and it ran reasonably well

Old 01 November 2001, 12:16   #16
MethodGit

Hmm, just thought I'd ask this question:

I wonder how long it'll be before WinUAE starts emulating Amiga Quake?
Old 01 November 2001, 12:19   #17
Amigaboy

There's no reason why it can't run Amiga Quake already

I have yet to test it myself though, but it should work. It doesn't need PPC to run (although the first Amiga release [done by Digital Corruption I think] needed pretty high specs)

Try it Marz. It should run (although I don't see the point. Just play the PC version)

Old 01 November 2001, 13:42   #18
Drake1009

Win9X still runs many dos applications though you'll need to fiddle with your setup to run and your drivers might not work. My problem right now is a soddy graphics card and a Creative SBLive which after I installed drivers so it would work right under Windows started crashing my DOS games. I can still run games like Fury of the furries, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max hit the road, Dreamweb, Heroquest and other DOS games but I did a test on a lot of them 90% of the game froze at some point unless I disabled sound effects (And speech). What's really strange is something like Simon the sorceror. They appear to be using the same sound system, yet I can't play much further than the intro in Simon 1 before it crashes and Simon 2 can be played to the end without a single freeze or crash.

What I'd like is a decent driver emulator. As for DOS emulator, well as long as you're still running 9x you don't really need them, but you might need a slowdown utility.

As for Doom. You can still run that under Windows with one of the ports. There's Zdoom. that's a windows port which allows freelook (Can be disabled) and jumping (Just don't bind the key). If you don't install the 3D patch for it it will run nicely under windows, and I haven't encountered problems with DOS games crashing because of sound under Windows. Only DOS games which slow down to 1/100th speed while under Windows (Like Simon1).

www.doomworld.com (If it still exists) have lots of modifications for Doom. It should be easy to find a regular windows port of it there. When they start making 4 player split screen windows versions single player versions shouldn't be too far away.
Old 01 November 2001, 15:32   #19
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
I think it is time for an MS-DOS emulator similar to Winfellow or Winuae, if they don't already exist. I have some dos games that worked with my old p120 but not with my PB PII 450.
I think you could try loading yer old DOS stuff with a PC-98 emulator AFAIK PC-98 machines and PC machines are quite compatible.

Also, MESS emulates the IBM PC, so you can try that. And there is a Tandy 1000 emulator lying around, if you want to get older
Old 01 November 2001, 22:18   #20
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Akira..does MESS emulate the 386 and 486 machines?