English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 12 August 2004, 02:08   #1
fickel

pc .adf to real amiga 500 disc

Hi!

Is there a miracle program for me to use that converts an adf file from my pc to my amiga 500? I do not have a null modem cable. I do have a bunch of MF-2DD discs to use though.

I've read on a few other places on the net, but all of the tutorials and other stuff are to complicated for me (laugh if you want to). I do like my Sensible Soccer even though I'm not a hard core programmer.

I want a program that asks me to insert my amiga disc, point out my adf-file and then push a magic button.

How about that?

Old 12 August 2004, 03:05   #2
oldpx

ADFBlitzer
You still have to transfer the file first.

Old 12 August 2004, 08:03   #3
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fickel
I want a program that asks me to insert my amiga disc, point out my adf-file and then push a magic button.
Sounds exactly like "ImageTool" for me. But you need a Catweasel controller to use it. The standard PC controller cannot write Amiga disks.

http://ami.ga/products/cwmk3_e.htm

Bye,
Thomas
Old 12 August 2004, 13:56   #4
fickel

So, I do need some extra hardware to do this, correct? Either a cable from my pc to my amiga or something that is sold out and doesn't exists until october?

Hmmm, this is not good.......

It's a shame I can't by it i a store anymore. The game i'm looking for is Sensible World of Soccer 96/97, i only got 94/95. I recently bought an amiga 500 with 2 (two) working tac2's....!

Old 04 September 2004, 09:51   #5
nikrei

I decided to continue this thread..

So, I just bought Amiga 500, and now I'd like to Download Games from Internet, and put them to Amiga Disk, and play them on Amiga, I have read lots of topics of this thing, and once I read something that I have to cut the ADF to two parts with TRANSDISK what comes with WinUAE, but I dont know, how can I use it?

I know, this is a newbie question

Old 04 September 2004, 21:18   #6
Amiga1992

There's no straightforward way to do this. As Thomas said teh only way is by means of the Catweasel controller.

Read the FAQ topics, get a nullmodem cable and get transferring.
Old 04 September 2004, 23:26   #7
scaf

Send a message via MSN to scaf
Read this page : http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/homepage/...l/methods.html
I used the Method A.

I transfered transwarp on my amiga, then i generated this floppy : http://amiga500.free.fr/telecharger/4-09-02/ADFDump(2002)(Scaf).zip
With this disk, all transfers get easier.
Old 11 September 2004, 18:07   #8
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

ADF to Amiga

I used Amiga Explorer from Cloanto to do this. It's definately worth the money, it's easy to use and I managed to salvage nearly all my old Amiga Oktalyzer music from 15 year old disks! I'm amazed they were still readable after all this time.
You need a null modem cable and a *real* workbench disk to use it.
It's available seperately from Cloanto as Pay-&-Download-immediately purchase. Very nice if you can do without the whole "Amiga Forever" package.

*edit*

You can even use it to transfer the kickstart ROM from your Amiga for use with emulators. This has the added bonus of freeing up 256Kb of guilty concience. ;-)

*edit*

Last time I transferred anything was when I was using Windows 98. Does Amiga Explorer work under XP? If not, can you get around it by using one of those drivers that free up the serial ports like GiveIO?

Last edited by Sune Salminen; 11 September 2004 at 21:57. Reason: small addition to original post
Old 11 September 2004, 19:13   #9
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sune Salminen
Last time I transferred anything was when I was using Windows 98. Does Amiga Explorer work under XP?
It works fine here.
Old 11 September 2004, 21:58   #10
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Amiga Explorer under XP

Thanks.
Old 12 September 2004, 06:12   #11
DoomMaster

Floppy disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fickel
Hi!

Is there a miracle program for me to use that converts an adf file from my pc to my amiga 500? I do not have a null modem cable. I do have a bunch of MF-2DD discs to use though.

I've read on a few other places on the net, but all of the tutorials and other stuff are to complicated for me (laugh if you want to). I do like my Sensible Soccer even though I'm not a hard core programmer.

How about that?
Burn the files to a CD-R and then stick that CD-R into your Amiga 500s CD-Rom drive. You do have a hard drive and CD-Rom drive hooked up to your Amiga 500, don't you?

Old 12 September 2004, 11:46   #12
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMaster
Burn the files to a CD-R and then stick that CD-R into your Amiga 500s CD-Rom drive. You do have a hard drive and CD-Rom drive hooked up to your Amiga 500, don't you?

yeah hes right... go buy a hard drive and cd-rom for your A500 if you don't already have them... never mind transfering the floppies with a null-modem cable that way is stupid... best way to solve a problem is to throw money at it until it goes away :P

basically if your computer is lame and doesnt do what you want... put heaps of useless shit in it... and give it a clever name or something... maybe you could tower it...

@Fickel: Seriously Sune Salminens method is the one I use... you can transfer adfs to floppies with Workbench1.3, a stock A500 and a serial null modem cable (which you could build yourself... trust me I had no idea how to solder but this was too easy) http://pinouts.ru/data/pin_Nullmodem9to25.shtml
and the Amiga Explorer software http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/

Last edited by T_hairy_bootson; 12 September 2004 at 12:11.
Old 15 October 2004, 11:10   #13
SpudBoy

just to continue on with this, (be aware i am an amiga n00b).

so if i understand right, there is no way to connect up an external amiga floppy drive to a PC without the catweasel controller?

and a bog standard PC-PC null modem cable will work Amiga-PC?

basically (as i stated in another thread before i was pointed here) i am looking for a way to back up my 300+ amiga discs onto a CD (for preservation).

so yer, best way i seem to understand (from reading these forums) is to copy the ADF files from the floppies to my pc, sort and then burn the cd.

trouble is, i have no idea how to get the images onto my pc in the first place.

any help would be great.

Old 15 October 2004, 12:11   #14
scaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudBoy
so if i understand right, there is no way to connect up an external amiga floppy drive to a PC without the catweasel controller?
Right. The standard PC floppy controller can't make Amiga drives work.
You'll have to use another controller (Catweasel, handmade....)

Quote:
and a bog standard PC-PC null modem cable will work Amiga-PC?
Yes. I built mine following instructions on www.technick.net . And I was a newbie at soldering. Just have to know that A500 has a 25 pins plug, and the PC has a 9 pins plug. All wires aren't used.

Quote:
basically (as i stated in another thread before i was pointed here) i am looking for a way to back up my 300+ amiga discs onto a CD (for preservation).

so yer, best way i seem to understand (from reading these forums) is to copy the ADF files from the floppies to my pc, sort and then burn the cd.

trouble is, i have no idea how to get the images onto my pc in the first place.
To copy your floppies to ADFs on your PC, there are many ways; The easiest one is to use the program Disk2FDI, you can download on the net. It requires a second PC floppy drive (HD ou DD, it does'nt care) and can force this way a reading of an Amiga disk.
Forcing a writing is still impossible : you'll need an amiga or a catweasel to do this
Old 15 October 2004, 16:17   #15
thomas

Quote:
There are several more or less cheap do-it-yourself solutions to connect an Amiga floppy drive to a PC (usually the parallel port is involved somehow). But AFAIK they all can only read Amiga floppy disks. The Catweasel is the only solution to make the PC write Amiga disks.

However, you cannot use an external Amiga floppy drive on the Catweasel, but you have to use an internal PC drive. Actually Amiga and PC floppy drives are almost identical. It is the controller which prevents the PC from reading Amiga floppies.
Old 16 October 2004, 10:31   #16
SpudBoy

thanks for the great info.

i have plenty spare pc floppy drives, but it looks like i will need to purchase one of these catweasel devices. this would be the overall quickest and easiest way to read/write amiga disks.

as reading them would be fine to back them up, but if one of the originals die, i wont have a way to make a new one.

Old 01 November 2004, 17:59   #17
JUlzinKA

probs with transdisk !!

pc > amiga

iam useing transdisk .. the transfer goes pref. but then when i try to use the disk it just gives mi a error mess that goes something like (on the amiga)

"error validating disk key 880 checksum error"

why can i not get a working transferd adf disk..

i have formated the disk on the amiga, iam useing nullmodemcabel, iam uesing adf sender on the pc, and iam useing transdisk on the amiga .. the shell command i ues is "transdisk -w ser:" (because i only have 1 fd)

Help ........

-------
www.gumpa.tk

Old 09 November 2004, 17:35   #18
scaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUlzinKA
pc > amiga

iam useing transdisk .. the transfer goes pref. but then when i try to use the disk it just gives mi a error mess that goes something like (on the amiga)

"error validating disk key 880 checksum error"

why can i not get a working transferd adf disk..

i have formated the disk on the amiga, iam useing nullmodemcabel, iam uesing adf sender on the pc, and iam useing transdisk on the amiga .. the shell command i ues is "transdisk -w ser:" (because i only have 1 fd)

Help ........

-------
www.gumpa.tk
Did you use the disk inside workbench ? If yes, it doesn't mean it's bad.
I transfered Prince of Persia, it made the message "error validating disk" because it was not readable by the workbench.
It booted very well, and still works.
Old 31 January 2006, 01:56   #19
MISTER

SOMEONE Help me????
I made my null-cable transfered transdisk, but now i cant run transdik on the amiga????

I made "Protect transdisc rwed" also made "Protect transdisc +e" , but still cant run on Amiga. It says "Not executable file"..

Please please help me..

Old 01 February 2006, 11:06   #20
InTheSand

Hi,

Take a look here for full instructions - it sounds like the file wasn't transferred properly.

- Ali