English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 December 2014, 20:02   #1
Doma

Got external flickerfixer, now A500 will not boot

Hello

So I dug out my old A500 some months ago. Just to realize that it of course does not works so well on the modern LCD monitors I now have.

Thus, I went ahead and bought a external flickerfixer box on ebay. This one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-Flicke...vip=true&rt=nc

Anyway. I hook the flickerbox up to a powersupply and place my A500 on the table. I connect the flickerbox to the Amiga directly via the cable that sticks out of the box (cable can be seen in the ebay picture)

The first thing that surprises me when I hook the box up to the Amiga is that the Amiga starts up. Even though my Amiga does not have its power supply connected. It seems to boot, but only "half way". Like its drawing power from the flicker box.

After that I hook up the actual power supply and try to figure out a way to have my Amiga boot from the "correct" power source.

Anyway, I manage to boot and fire up an old game I got on a disk.
Only to realize that the Ctrl+A+A does nothing. I cant reset.

So I do a hard reset and pull the power.

And thats the last time I managed to get my Amiga to boot. I tried connecting the Amiga to the flicker box through a VGA-cable and and adapter. It now only draws power from the correct supply, but It wont boot.

I've opened it up and all the chips have been checked and are socketed correctly.

When I start the Amiga up with the VGA/adapter I get a blinking green screen and no boot.

If I boot it with the other cable from the flickerbox, I get a dull white screen. Still, none of the options seems to be willing to load a disk.

I realize while typing this up that it seems to be a shot in the dark and people probably have not had this very specific issue.

But if anyone has had any issues with flickerfixer boxes and A500s before, I would love to hear some tips.

Disclaimer: My Amiga has worked fine for 20 years, so I am a bit of a noob when it comes to troubleshooting and figuring out whats wrong.