English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 19 December 2004, 21:15   #1
Crs

WB Utils - change window appearance?

Hi all,

Wow what a weekend, I have never seen a WB look so good. After downloading ClassicWB (by Bloodwych - many thanks!, good job!!) I'm hungry for more!

1) There must be a utility that changes the actual workbench windows, the frame area Im talking about where the close button / scroll bars are.

2) I used to have an app that ran in startup which allowed "show contents of windows when dragged" ... I cant remember the name of it nor can I find it on aminet (actually the search denys my access and I didnt find it by browsing)

That would make my day feel complete

Thanks if anyone knows what Im looking for!!

Old 19 December 2004, 21:33   #2
Bloodwych

Workbench 3 can look loads better! The classicwb holds back on eye candy for the sake of compatibility and to remain fairly true to the original in how it feels. It's very strong on features however and highly organised.

1) You're looking to add Visual Prefs, found on Aminet.

2)Hmmm, a utility definitely exists as I used it on my A1200 years ago, but can't remember its name. Someone else will know however.

I'm uploading a special P96 version fairly soon for Christmas onto my own webspace. It's kind of an early preview of the next updates to the main page. It's going to have some very nice additions so watch this space.
Old 19 December 2004, 22:05   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

1). Birdie also allows this

2). MCP and MCX (I think) allow this (they combine a load of patches in 1)
Old 20 December 2004, 14:01   #4
Crs

Hi Bloodwych!

Looking forward to seeing the p96 xmas edition!!

I downloaded visual prefs, seems nice and what I was looking for, I will have a go at more customizing later

bippym: Thanks for your reply but I could not find MCP/MCX in aminet that does the "show windows contents whilst dragging" ... Last I remember there was a dedicated util to do this?

I had another thought, is there a util to make windows semi-transparent? Magic Menu has an option for this in its menu and it looks great!

Cheeeeers

Old 20 December 2004, 15:10   #5
Bloodwych

The P96 version won't have any extra eye candy, apart from skins on Eagleplayer and AmigaAmp - I'm pretty much set against adding patches as they can cause hidden issues. I've been playing around and it seems very stable and compatible - running a mod player, mp3 player, virus checker (whilst scanning), word processor, graphics program plus various others would not crash it. Plus the MP3's didn't skip even with all this going on! It was multitasking bliss and equally stable under 68020+FPU, 68040, 3.1 or 3.0. Damn I LOVE WinUAE; thanks again Toni and crew - what a great emulator.

So, I take it you are using the P96 version in an emulator rather than running the other versions designed for real A1200's? Don't forget to look in the my-files/install directory for extras such as freewheel which will add window click-to-front and mouse wheel support. I've enabled it by default in the next version.

As for more eye candy ideas, I'm really not the one to answer as I'm against going too far as mentioned above. Here are some links you might find useful however:

http://aiab.emuunlim.com/

http://amigapower.fw.hu/

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=15473

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=3013

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=16149

Old 20 December 2004, 15:11   #6
Tolismlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Workbench 3 can look loads better!
Of course it can look a lot better, no mean to offend Bloodwych who has done a good job, and knows a lot more than i do. Just take a look.
http://www.amiga.org/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1965

Old 20 December 2004, 15:12   #7
Bloodwych

Beat you to it Tolismlf! I've linked your thread above!

ClassicWB is mainly for real Amigas - therefore unique powerful features and compatibility rather than eyecandy.
Old 20 December 2004, 15:17   #8
Tolismlf

Indeed
I have to say that i made this with Bloodwych help and other members of EAB
I just gave a little of my taste.
Old 20 December 2004, 15:19   #9
Bloodwych

Got to admit, that's one sexy Workbench Tolismlf!
Old 20 December 2004, 15:25   #10
Tolismlf

I show it to some friends of me and they were amazed! They never had a chance to see such a beautiful desktop on their buggy WinXP
Old 20 December 2004, 15:32   #11
Bloodwych

I'm not surprised! It looks better than OS 4! I love it how we all tend to open 10 million applications before taking a screen grab! Seems compulsory behaviour!

Looks like you've got quite a bit of work ahead of you Crs if you want to get up to Tolismlf's standards. As a default install, the ClassicWB P96 or one of the other packages I linked above should at least give you a very big head start!
Old 20 December 2004, 15:34   #12
Tolismlf

"Plug and pray"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blue.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	7705  
Old 29 December 2004, 15:32   #13
Crs

I hope you all had a great xmas!

Thanks for the links Bloodwych, some nice stuff going on there. I used the P96 configuration within the emulator and since then I seem to be obsessed with tweaking WB to look even better!

Tolismlf: Your desktop looks fab, I was wondering what you used for: The window appearance (the black linux effect) ? And the Start Bar - (AmiStart?!) Does that really show open tasks that you can select? Just like MS Windows? That would be a great tool!!

I never did find the tool to change window movement to "drag windows contents".. anyone?

Thanks again,

Old 29 December 2004, 16:37   #14
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
wow...so much nice os 3.x

if i could understand more of patching it i´d like to have such nice thing...

at moment there is bloodwychs classic wb adv installed which really works good, but didn´t look very nice...

what could i do with my A1200, HD , Blizzard 1260/70, buddha, Z4 Board but without any graphic board...
Old 29 December 2004, 23:19   #15
Bloodwych

Quote:
at moment there is bloodwychs classic wb adv installed which really works good, but didn´t look very nice...
Had a great thanks Crs! Hope you did too!

I know you weren’t complaining x_to but I’d like to expand on this.

I dare not install any hacks or patches on a default downloadable package so I concentrate on really cool features, listing them on the webpage. Adding MCP, visual prefs, birdy, amistart etc etc is just asking for trouble from a support viewpoint and in my experience although they look cool I really don't think any of these things improve workbench, quite the opposite in fact.

I can appreciate why people want cool looks though and the default installs are ideal for people to start adding and building up to their unique taste. The user has compete freedom to add (and troubleshoot) any hacks or visual features they want onto a very clean, classic looking, hack free install.

None of this takes away from people's fantastic achievements however with good old OS3.x – I think it’s brilliant that those like Tolismlf show others just how great and customisable Workbench is!

Personally I love the simplicity of the classic look and exclusive workbench feel of doing everything from a menu system. I think the packs have a natural retro-looking charm (examples below) - you certainly know you're using Workbench! We have windows for the eye candy and start bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cw1.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	7745   Click image for larger version

Name:	cw2.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	7746   Click image for larger version

Name:	cw4.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	7747   Click image for larger version

Name:	cw5.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	7748  

Last edited by Bloodwych; 29 December 2004 at 23:26.
Old 29 December 2004, 23:51   #16
Joe Maroni

sorry that you understood me a little bit...

i´ve never doubt your work with classic Wb, but it would be nicer to see one day that there will be a classic wb with the comfort of the existing version complained with a really nice gui...

only to show-off all my friends what is possible with an old but fantastic os...

the problem is that i didn´t have all the knowlegde of somebody other here in the eab who knows what to do to let the Wb look like he want it...

very difficult, but i hope understandable...
Old 30 December 2004, 00:02   #17
Ironclaw
Banned

Old 30 December 2004, 00:15   #18
Joe Maroni

err...we talking about OS 3.x not OS 4.0....

seeing that screenshot.....nearly on the verge of tears....

i could never have such a nice workbench...
Old 30 December 2004, 11:48   #19
Paul
RIP Friends

If you wan't to see other WB screenshots see: What does your REAL Amiga WB look like?
Old 30 December 2004, 13:02   #20
Bloodwych

Quote:
sorry that you understood me a little bit...

i´ve never doubt your work with classic Wb,
I didn’t mis-understand you – I completely understood where you were coming from, that’s why I said “I know you’re not complaining” and “I can appreciate why people want cool looks”

All I wanted to do was explain in a little more detail why I don’t bother to expand these packs to the max.

As for making your particular setup have more eye candy, it really isn’t that difficult. You are very limited by not having a graphics card, but if you can run DBL-modes or Productvity you should be able to get a good finish with an 060. Chipram will suffer, but the new ClassicWB packs released day have multiboot features that can get around this.

All the tools you require are more or less already installed. As a great example, look at this fine 64-colour Workbench 3.1 from Frog:

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1628

For a similar effect, install the ClassicWB, choose some cool background wallpapers using the Scalos Prefs and install Visual Prefs. There you go – an instant good-looking workbench taking about ten minutes to customize.

Extra touches will require a bit of reading, searching, asking and downloading off Aminet but in the end you will get the results x_to.

Paul, I’ve already linked that thread earlier. Problem is, all the best looking Workbenches use P96/RTG graphics but there are a few fantastic native AGA examples.

Ironclaw, why the massive os4 image? Actually, it looks like Morph OS? We’re talking about Workbench 3.0/1 That’s hardly a fair example! Looks sexy however!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 31 December 2004 at 00:19.