English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 August 2016, 16:38   #1
amigapd

New Reality Platform Game - Super Robin Cd32 version

What started as a small demo to see what could be created using the Reality Game Creator Platform Skeleton disk has now developed into a fullish game containing 31 short levels made up of different zones.

The object of the game is quite simple, collect all the fruit and then head to the exit to the far right of the level. Some fruit is also contained in blocks which have to be hit from below using your characters head.

Enemies have to be avoid by jumping over them or running away.

There are teleporter doors - to access these push up on your joystick and press fire when in front of the door.

There are also switches - to activate these push up on your joystick and then press fire.

When you get to the end of the level you sometimes have the option for two exists - the bottom door option will take you to a bonus level -

The game was created using the Reality Game Engine and therefore I have created the graphics and level design.

Erik Hogan created the menu select screen for the attached CD32 version

Simone Bernacchia has provided the in game music for the full game version - the other music provided for the different zones under the practice option have been taken from the Assassins Public Domain disk and I hope these are public domain.

The Dylan Demo option on the menu takes you to the demo of the Dizzy adventure clone I created using the Reality Adventure skeleton disk.

Issues to be aware of

Super Robin was created using the Reality Game engine, which has the benefit of being quicker than Backbone and allows 32 colours to be used on the screen running at 50 fps, however it does have some flaws:

1. When you play the first level for the first time it causes a graphic glitch on the enemy sprites - this is because it runs the level in full screen mode rather than a smaller window version - when you die and attempt the first level again this glitch is solved - therefore when selecting the zone practice zones you will notice that the enemy sprites can be corrupted - this doesn't happen when you reach those zones in the full game -

2. Only one in game music tune can be used throughout the game - therefore I cannot have different tunes for the different zones - when you select to practice a specific zone I have used a different tune to add some variation but in the main game all 32 levels will have the same in game music.

3. The main sprite will not be changed - it can include animation walking left and right but I have changed the sprite to a large facing front option to try to improve sprite collision - Reality does include a hotspot editor but there are no instructions available on how to use or implement this.

4. The editor does include some other options not included - there is the option to one moving platform per level but I could not get this to work - the platform was always invisible when selected - without any notes on how to include this these were droped from the game.

5. The editor can also include two other game play options - one I think is to cover blocks a bit like Dithell in Wonderland - but without any instructions I do not know what value to allocate to the tiles and how to do this.

6. Each level was completed without losing a life during play testing - however I have not had time to do a complete run from level 1 through to the end - it should be possible but challenging - occassionally I did notice on the disk version the game would sometimes crash after a particular level - however I think I solved this by changing the order of the levels.

Overall, that is now the end of my experiment with creating games with the Reality Game engines.

I have created 3 games using the engine

Kingdoms of Steam - using the shoot em up skeleton disk
Dylan the Spaceman - using the adventure skeleton disk
Super Robin - using the plaftorm skeleton disk

There is a seperate thread on here about how to use reality and also contains the relevant skeleton disks for those interested.

Creating games is a lengthy commitment, even using game creators all of the above games have taken one to two years to get to their finished state and relied on others to help - A big thank you to Erik Hogan for helping to transfer them to the CD32 and to Simone Bernacchia for providing excellent music for all the games - thank you to Wayne Ashworth for helping with the intro screens for Kingdoms of Steam and Dylan the Spaceman - Thank you to Robert Hazelby and Graham Humphrey for play testing the games at different points.

New recent work commitments will mean I will be taking a break from the Amiga scene for a few months - if things settle down I hope to help Graham with the graphics for his Maxwell game and in the distant future I will either finish the last few problems for the Dylan game or produce a short Graphic Adventure using GRAC.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Super Robin CD32.zip (1.78 MB, 963 views)
Old 13 August 2016, 16:55   #2
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Congratulations for finally finishing the game. Will check it later and give you a longer review then I have played it.

And cool that you used Reality for making the game. I'm a bit tired of all these Backbone games now
Old 13 August 2016, 17:11   #3
amigapd

Like backbone games it has limitations due to the Reality creator. It became larger than originally planned as I wanted to try the different features such as rainbow backgrounds, switches, teleporters, parallex scrolling and ball and chain obstacles. I think this is the only platform game currently available created with reality so I wanted to try to include all the features where possible to showcase it's powers and limitations.
Old 13 August 2016, 20:36   #4
Cobe

Cute! Congratulations! I like the graphics and overall presentation. Tune is also nice, simple and catchy and suits the game. Only that collision unfortunately is really rough. Its not easy to pick up fruits.

I hope after a break you'll continue and finish your projects. Have you look at Sparrow/Ovenbird engine? Maybe its worth a try.
Old 13 August 2016, 21:31   #5
amigapd

Super Robin ADF

Attached is hopefully the ADFs for the full game and a cheat version.

The game should work on Amiga 600 with 2 meg and Amiga 1200.

Haven't tried on Amiga 500 - would probably need 2 meg.

Also don't forget to have a go on the Dylan Demo for those who didn't try Dylan the Spaceman - there is a version with the full intro under the Reality thread on this forum I think.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Robin_adf.zip (488.4 KB, 930 views)

Last edited by amigapd; 13 August 2016 at 21:32. Reason: Adding ADF images
Old 13 August 2016, 22:19   #6
Pyromania

Congrats, now I want to play them all.
Old 14 August 2016, 17:52   #7
s2325
Zone Friend

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 August 2016, 18:00   #8
amigapd

You need to access the secret room by going through the door at the beginning of the level To do this stand in front of it push up and press fire on your controller.
Old 14 August 2016, 18:03   #9
s2325
Zone Friend

You may paste this as comment on YouTube as it's not my channel.
Old 15 August 2016, 00:04   #10
amigapd

Did a video of the first level ages ago - back when the sprite had walk left and right frames - anyway shows that you need to go through door teleporters to go to new areas to get all the fruit.

https://www.facebook.com/amigapd/vid...6289747080860/

Below is a new video from youtube showing the first 4 levels completed

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by amigapd; 15 August 2016 at 00:44.
Old 15 August 2016, 00:22   #11
Selur

Is this backbone again?
Old 15 August 2016, 00:33   #12
amigapd

No - its Reality: The Ultimate Software Construction Kit

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=33153
Old 15 August 2016, 18:48   #13
s2325
Zone Friend

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 August 2016, 19:04   #14
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Just tried the ADF version. Really fun game!

The most annoying thing is the fruit. They are so hard to collect. You can sometimes even jump through them without getting them.

I wanted to die so the glitches will be gone. But you can't die in the ADF version because you have unlimited lives? The only way to die is to wait to the time run out?
Old 15 August 2016, 19:28   #15
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I still see the old sprite while climbing up stairs; you could just reuse main one and fill adequately with brown so to have it facing the wall to simulate stair climbing
Old 15 August 2016, 23:09   #16
amigapd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Just tried the ADF version. Really fun game!

The most annoying thing is the fruit. They are so hard to collect. You can sometimes even jump through them without getting them.

I wanted to die so the glitches will be gone. But you can't die in the ADF version because you have unlimited lives? The only way to die is to wait to the time run out?
The best way to aim to collect the fruit is to aim for it with the right shoulder of the main sprite, once you adopt this approach the collision routine doesn't annoy as much.

I thought I did include the ADF version with 7 lives (have uploaded again with this post just incase I forgot) - The graphic glitch only applies to the first level baddie the first time you play - when you die and return to the first level it plays without the glitch. The longer youtube video shows more glitches as I think it is a mash up of the different zones using the practice option from the cd32 version.

The sprite moving up the ladders is a larger version of the original one - there are no plans to modify the graphics now - it has taken 12 months to get the game to this stage and I am just glad to have finished it

I have attached the Reality Master disk and Platform skeleton disk if people want to play around with it.

If anyone can master the heat spot editor in the master disk or improve the collision by modifying the skeleton disk or the main sprite then I would be happy to hear.

To access the editor you need to

Put the master disk in DF0 and the platform skeleton in DF1

From the main menu screen select edit skeleton disk

It will then present you with a message about inserting a graphic disk - this is where you replace the master disk in DF0 with the Super Robin disk.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MasterDisk.zip (587.5 KB, 266 views)
File Type: zip PlatformSkeleton.zip (280.4 KB, 284 views)
File Type: zip Robin_Final.zip (244.4 KB, 281 views)
Old 17 August 2016, 20:24   #17
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Space Zone II 3-2 has a bug making the game crash. Tried with different settings etc. So it's a bug of the game for sure.

Collect the fruit here:

And game will exit with this message:

Old 18 August 2016, 11:21   #18
s2325
Zone Friend

Game have longplay, maybe you can find how to avoid problematic moment:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 August 2016, 18:42   #19
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Happy to see there are others than myself making longplays of these new games. That guy did a pretty good job, so no need for me to record another longplay now

I noticed that he played the game in practice mode and used the CD32 version. It would be interesting to know if the bug only appears in the disk version or if it only happens when you play the maingame.
Old 18 August 2016, 20:10   #20
amigapd

I have just tried the CD32 - cheat version (which is basically the adf put on the CD - and it causes the game to crash when you get to Space Zone 3_2

There was a similar issue on the Green Zone which was identified during play testing - I don't think anyone went further) it was solved by just moving the order of the levels. I will amend the adf version to include some extra time for that level and see if that works and will change the order of the space zone (level 3_2 is a bit of a pain - mainly due to that anoying baddie at the end section so will swap it with 3_3). The level itself is fine as shown by the fact it works in practice mode - I think Reality was never tested for full games - I think they only ever did small games (such as two level demos) hopefully it is not a bug that it will crash at level 10. I think the error occurs because it tries to open another screen when it shouldn't.

Away at mo - will try to amend next week.