English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 January 2021, 09:41   #1
Valken

Moving other window slows down WinUAE

Hello Toni,

I am testing the latest beta on Windows 7 x64 Pro and if I have WinUAE opened in a window on my desktop running a demo, game, playing a song or sitting there, and if I MOVE a Windows "window" with my mouse cursor, the WinUAE process slows down.

I've tested this with DamienD's game collection, IMP playing a song, or running any of the Amiga Demos from pouet.net.

If I use the KB to ALT TAB, no problems, but any MOUSE movement while holding down another process' window will SLOWDOWN the WinUAE process. It is most noticable when playing back audio or video.

I can literally do the same thing with GZDoom 4.x.x x64 running in a Window and no slowdown when I "move" other tasks windows around.

Is there some setting I should be aware of? Would it be Windows GPU driver related?

Windows 7 x64 Pro, Haswell I7-4790K, DDR3-2400CL10 RAM, Nvidia 1060 GTX.
Old 14 January 2021, 17:28   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Is that really 4.5 beta specific?
Old 15 January 2021, 08:14   #3
Valken

Hello Toni,

I tested the following as I had it on my HD with the SAME procedure:

WinUAE 4.5 Beta15 x32, x64
WinUAE 4.4 down to 4.0 x64
WinUAE 3.61 x64

Open WinUAE
Select A500 under basic configuration
Select to load Amigatari.zip and select ADF file - https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=85276
Press START
Wait for demo to start with graphics and sound.
Open a WINDOWS EXPLORER window.
Click onto the TOP WINDOW BAR, HOLD DOWN THE LEFT MOUSE BUTTON, DRAG it.

I tested using both clockwise and counter clock wise circular motions on the desktop.

Sound crackles and slows down.

I tried to set the priorities to NORMAL and ABOVE NORMAL under background but still same effect.

As long as I ALT TAB to switch windows, no worries.

No other windows apps would have any issues including
GZDoom loaded a game with background video and sound enabled or MPC BE running a video in window when out of focus. Web browser streaming video no issues.

Might it be some kind USB mouse polling issue? I use the standard USB mouse drivers inside windows with a Logitech G700s wireless mouse.
Old 16 January 2021, 09:30   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Moved because nothing to do with betas.

I can't duplicate. I can move other windows and sound never glitches (even if display is . Mouse is G903 so can't be anything to do with mouse either.

Try switching between D3D9/D3D11 mode. And make sure you don't have any weird GPU control panel forced settings.