English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05 August 2018, 20:23   #1
Amigo79
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: La spezia
Posts: 48
Amiga and VR

Once on internet I read about an amiga card for 3d,
(in the pictures there was not texture mapping)
for use with vr games.

The card was very expensive and not for home use.

1990-1992 year

Its true or amiga fan boy inventions?
Amigo79 is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 20:40   #2
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 41
Posts: 12,413
How many more of these threads are you going to create; non Amiga lover???

...your only purpose on EAB seems to be trying to disprove anything Amiga throughout the past

Tell us all again why you joined an Amiga forum because I'm confused???

Anyway, to answer your question though, there are numerous threads on EAB talking about VR and Amiga gear used in the setup... just search.

...although I'd imagine you'll believe it's all bullshit anyway so; no need for anyone to reply further.
DamienD is online now  
Old 05 August 2018, 21:09   #3
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italy)
Posts: 3,578
Amigo79 have we met before?

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 05 August 2018 at 21:16.
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 21:24   #4
Amigo79
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: La spezia
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
How many more of these threads are you going to create; non Amiga lover???

...your only purpose on EAB seems to be trying to disprove anything Amiga throughout the past
.
No no,the only thing I wanted to analyze,not disprove was the amiga DOMINATION in the creative world,thing that I found controversial.

And I believed amiga dominated in the low end market.


Also,for example I opened a thread about amiga at nasa,
because I believe is possible amiga was used at nasa.

I am an amiga lover.

And about the amiga and the vr 3d card,it is because I believe it can be true.

I opened a new thread because
in the searches I did
there is nothing about this card,but only about amiga 3000.
Amigo79 is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 21:33   #5
Amigo79
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: La spezia
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Amigo79 have we met before?
I born in savona,in the old days,1993,I was an amiga 1200 user
and I discussed versus all amiga detractor.

I had some friend on bbs,and I received at home demos and sound disk
from other amiga fans.

I was "Dark Soul" on the "ultimo impero bbs",and I had also various names,
because to bypass the time limit I created various accounts.

Here for the thread about the truth in video editing,
people say that I am a troll.


What do you know about the vr card for the vr systems?
I found only things about the amiga 3000,not the cards.
Amigo79 is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 21:41   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 45
Posts: 6,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo79 View Post
No no,the only thing I wanted to analyze,not disprove was the amiga DOMINATION in the creative world,thing that I found controversial.

And I believed amiga dominated in the low end market.


Also,for example I opened a thread about amiga at nasa,
because I believe is possible amiga was used at nasa.

I am an amiga lover.

And about the amiga and the vr 3d card,it is because I believe it can be true.

I opened a new thread because
in the searches I did
there is nothing about this card,but only about amiga 3000.
The Amiga started off the VR industry in the 1990's before it died out again.

Texture mapping wasn't used, because even the PC struggled with it in the early 1990's.

They used the Amiga A3000 and some custom hardware for about 4 years before they switched to a PC setup, but even then, the PC on its own wasn't capable enough of doing the texture mapping they needed and had to be substantially backed up with additional hardware to do the brunt of the graphics work.

If its your contention that because the Amiga didn't use texture mapping so therefore it was shit, news update.... it looked shit texture mapped as well, because we're talking about the 1990's!!!

Same as "interactive movies" in the 1990's, it was a fad that didn't last.

And its also a matter of RECORD that NASA used the Amiga, plenty of youtube videos where they specifically talk about the Amiga and show it in action.
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 21:49   #7
Amigo79
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: La spezia
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
The Amiga started off the VR industry in the 1990's before it died out again.

Texture mapping wasn't used, because even the PC struggled with it in the early 1990's.
Of course,never had doubt of it
I said about the texture mapping only to describe better how was
the pictures of virtual reality,it was not a comment about amiga power.

Quote:
They used the Amiga A3000 and some custom hardware
Thanks,this is what I want to know.

Quote:
If its your contention that because the Amiga didn't use texture mapping
No,it was not a comment about amiga power

Quote:
And its also a matter of RECORD that NASA used the Amiga,
I never had a doubt about amiga used at nasa,
I opened a thread in this forum to know WHY.



AND,can tell me something more about this additional hardware?do you have a link?
Amigo79 is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 21:51   #8
Amigo79
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: La spezia
Posts: 48
Ok guys,I DONT WANT to doubt about amiga power,I want only know about this
additional hardware for 3d,because all searches I do answer me only about the amiga 3000.
Amigo79 is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 22:03   #9
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italy)
Posts: 3,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo79 View Post
I born in savona,in the old days,1993,I was an amiga 1200 user
and I discussed versus all amiga detractor.
Know the user "Seiya" is from your own city "La Spezia"

About Vr Card i do not have many experiences, if you may be interested in attaching some links:

http://www.amigahistory.plus.com/virtuality.html

https://www.facebook.com/RetroVR2014

http://obligement.free.fr/files/virt...ice-manual.pdf

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 05 August 2018 at 22:08.
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 22:17   #10
roondar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 514
That Virtuality service manual is very interesting, for sure!

Thanks for sharing it
roondar is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 22:28   #11
Amigo79
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: La spezia
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Know the user "Seiya" is from your own city "La Spezia"

About Vr Card i do not have many experiences, if you may be interested in attaching some links:

http://www.amigahistory.plus.com/virtuality.html

https://www.facebook.com/RetroVR2014

http://obligement.free.fr/files/virt...ice-manual.pdf
thanks.
I read in the service manual about a master graphic card and a slave graphic card!

at the link of amiga history i read
Quote:
Other Graphical Info Flat Shaded, TMS 34020 graphic processor with TMs 34082 coprocessor
O YEH,BEFORE THE 3DO AND PSX AMIGA GOT 3D HARDWARE AND THIS IS TRUE
Amigo79 is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 22:41   #12
Amigo79
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: La spezia
Posts: 48
Doing a search on that chip,I find
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMS34010

The chip was also used in the Amiga A2410 graphics card found in the A2500 based Unix workstation.
What?A 3d chip on the amiga unix workstation?
Amigo79 is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 22:49   #13
Amigo79
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: La spezia
Posts: 48
I searched on ebay for cs 1000 but there are not.
Strange no ono collected it
Amigo79 is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 23:35   #14
Seiya
Registered User

Seiya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 697
This could be interesting
Seiya is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 23:39   #15
Amigo79
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: La spezia
Posts: 48
nice thanks
Amigo79 is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 23:40   #16
roondar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo79 View Post
thanks.
I read in the service manual about a master graphic card and a slave graphic card!

at the link of amiga history i read

O YEH,BEFORE THE 3DO AND PSX AMIGA GOT 3D HARDWARE AND THIS IS TRUE

Have you actually looked up what the TM34020 coupled with a TMS34082 can do? If you had, you'd have understood that what Amiga History wrote there is 100% accurate (heck, even your ridiculous exaggeration of what they wrote is true).

The TMS34020 is not just some random fixed function VGA chip, it is a full fledged graphics processor - as in, a CPU designed for doing graphics stuff. The TMS34082 is a full floating point processor specifically designed to deal with 3D stuff. They both also run really fast (40MB/sec memory bandwidth, instructions tend to take 1 cycle for the integer stuff).

These chips can do very, very interesting stuff for pre-PSX tech. A few examples:

- Draw lines, circles, curves (at a rate of about 5 million pixels/second)
- Flood fill at (as I understand it) 40MB/sec
- Transform 3D coordinates into 2D coordinates on the card, so no CPU overhead there either.

These three functions by themselves are enough to do all that's claimed here. Especially when you consider the CS1000 had two of them.

For reference, see:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/data...34020-32.shtml

https://books.google.nl/books?id=-4n...034082&f=false

Edit: there is a much more in depth dook about the TMS34082 as well:
http://www.textfiles.com/bitsavers/p...dbook_1991.pdf

There's more reference material, but it tends to be fairly technical.
Quote:
I searched on ebay for cs 1000 but there are not.
Strange no ono collected it
Considering it's a $60.000 arcade machine that is also super rare (only 350 sold).... Yeah, that's not so odd, now is it?

---
I do want to add something here: you claim you just want to see if 'Amiga fan boys' are exaggerating, but why didn't you just google these datasheets for yourself? You'd have known that the claims where true and not had have to SHOUT about Amiga History Guide just because you don't believe something.

Last edited by roondar; 05 August 2018 at 23:55. Reason: Edit: added a source
roondar is offline  
Old 05 August 2018, 23:44   #17
Amigo79
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: La spezia
Posts: 48
thanks
you know something about the a2500 with the 3d chip?It is in a link I posted

Last edited by Amigo79; 06 August 2018 at 00:26.
Amigo79 is offline  
Old 06 August 2018, 00:00   #18
Amigo79
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: La spezia
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I do want to add something here: you claim you just want to see if 'Amiga fan boys' are exaggerating, but why didn't you just google these datasheets for yourself? You'd have known that the claims where true and not had have to SHOUT about Amiga History Guide just because you don't believe something.
If I opened the thread is just because I was ready to believe it.

And I am surprised of it as true,because while on magazines
I ever read about amiga in video studios I never read about 3d dedicated chips for amiga..

Howewer,you know something about the a2500 with the 3d chip?It is in a link I posted.

Last edited by Amigo79; 06 August 2018 at 00:10.
Amigo79 is offline  
Old 06 August 2018, 10:01   #19
roondar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo79 View Post
Howewer,you know something about the a2500 with the 3d chip?It is in a link I posted.
Some of the A2500's had a A2410 graphics card, which feature a TMS34010 (the predecessor of the TMS34020 used in the Virtuality machine). This is indeed the same chip as used in several 3D arcade games, such as S.T.U.N. Runner and Hard Drivin'.

However, those arcade games used two of them and had an additional TMS34012 as a coprocessor to help with the heavy lifting. So, while it's probably possible to use an A2410 for 3D acceleration of flat shaded polygons, it won't be nearly as fast as either of these arcade examples. It should still be much faster than using just the CPU and/or Blitter though.

Do note, I am personally unaware of any such use for the A2410.

Last edited by roondar; 06 August 2018 at 10:21.
roondar is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09360 seconds with 12 queries