English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 29 April 2021, 16:50   #1
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Any reason why many games require two save disks ?

A general question here, feel free to move topic if it's not at the right place. Why do many Amiga games require two (2) save disks ? I may have the wrong idea, but if it's just a matter of writing multiple times a few kbs to a floppy disk, how come that single formatted (or unformatted) disk would not suffice to save one's progress from start to finish ? Any thoughts ?

Since I play mostly action games, I am not used to save a lot when I emulate. On top of that, memory is fuzzy, I can't tell for sure if I ever needed to format two blank disks to save my progress, let alone one, by the time I had my first miggy during the late 80's.
Old 29 April 2021, 17:38   #2
dreadnought

Are you sure there were many such games? I can't recall any tbh, and I played a lot of save-requiring games.
Old 29 April 2021, 18:40   #3
-Acid-

There is?! please name some of these games that need 2 disks to save, it'd be interesting to know since I can't think of any.
Old 29 April 2021, 19:04   #4
SquawkBox

I've based my analysis on the fact that DamienD collection contains two save disk images for quite a few games :
Altered Destiny, Ishar II, Simon the Sorceror etc.
If I can part with the second save disk for those games that are among my favorites, all for the better. So maybe I should have asked DD the reason why he did this, my mistake. That would be nice of him or of some contributor to enlighten me about the purpose of this if, I may ask.
Old 29 April 2021, 19:13   #5
Matt_H

I suspect the explanation is that DamienD included saves at lots of different points within the games, so many that multiple disks were needed. None of these games "require" multiple save disks.
Old 29 April 2021, 19:16   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
I've based my analysis on the fact that DamienD collection contains two save disk images for quite a few games :
Altered Destiny, Ishar II, Simon the Sorceror etc.
If I can part with the second save disk for those games that are among my favorites, all for the better. So maybe I should have asked DD the reason why he did this, my mistake. That would be nice of him or of some contributor to enlighten me about the purpose of this if, I may ask.
After reading the thread title I instantly knew you were talking about my collection.

No game requires 2 x save disk. I have 2 though as some games will only allow say 5 saves...
Old 29 April 2021, 20:52   #7
SquawkBox

@Matt_H
I don't think DD's save disks include any actual game progress.

@DD
Ah now I get it, it consists in offering us a second save disk image handy when the first one is full. Since I plan to use some of these disks for my Gotek which, as you may know allow limited slots allocation, I'll just use a single one. I might consider adding a second disk image case-by-case for extremely hard games.

While we're at it, how does high score get saved for shmups and such, generally speaking ? Let's assume someone saves his / her highscore on the game disk, and the disk is an original. Does the game loses some value compared to an unaltered original ?
Old 29 April 2021, 21:18   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
@Matt_H
I don't think DD's save disks include any actual game progress.
No they don't, but Matt_H's assumption was correct

Quote:
@DD
Ah now I get it, it consists in offering us a second save disk image handy when the first one is full.
Yes exactly, I'm always thinking ahead... and usually you only find these 2 x save disks with adventure games
Old 30 April 2021, 09:27   #9
SquawkBox

Well, I am not sure Mother Goose hero faces that many perils during his quest to reassemble the mixed-up nursery rhymes, but I get the idea . I just checked, and it seems your collection is missing Curse Of the Azure Bonds save disk.
Indeed, my question was aimed at DD collection and not at games in general. Please mods, change the thread title accordingly.