English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 October 2014, 11:58   #81
Storm
SYS64738

As well as uncommenting the lines for the psdstackloader in the WHDLoad-Cleanup and WHDLoad-Startup scripts, check the WHDLoad.prefs file to make sure the two lines referring to the startup and cleanup scripts are uncommented as well (I think they maybe by default). All these files are in the S folder.
Old 26 October 2014, 12:27   #82
Riempie
Amiga freak

Received mine yesterday. Installed it with the help of the pictures on the wiki-site. The white LED lights up instantly (no flash) and stays on, so I guess everything should work fine. Installed poseidon drivers (just followed the install script) in my classic wb os which already has MUI 3.8...

Now, how do I know if it works?

I tried connecting a 32GB usb stick which has a led indicator, but nothing happens. I didn't expect this stick to work anyway, but I thought at least the led of the stick should burn to know that it get's the power. Also connected a usb 2.0 card reader and nothing happens. Power indicator also doesn't light up.
Also connected my boing ball usb mouse (normally connected to the micromys v4 adapter). Nothing happens.

I'll try to find some old 2GB sticks, but I have no clue whatsoever to know if everything should be working correctly.

I still use my A500 power supply btw which workes fine (with indy mk2, aca030 56mhz, I'll try it with a 300 watt power supply to know if it's power issue.

Will also try it with my A600....

Old 26 October 2014, 12:35   #83
demolition
Unregistered User

Try going to prefs and open Trident. It will show if the USB controller could be found or not.
Old 26 October 2014, 13:24   #84
Riempie
Amiga freak

Sigh... RTFM...

I didn't read the manual any further because I let Poseidon create a config during installation (as stated in the manual). So I thought it would work immediately after a reboot. Must have done something wrong...

I started Trident and added the usb-device (clockport) and clicked 'online'. Now both my 32GB usb stick and boing ball mouse work. The 32GB stick is read-only. Is writing to the stick not working because of the 4GB limit of the Amiga OS?

But it's working fine and it's a nice product! Great work Jens!

PS. I needed an other screw (taller) to connect the ground cable. The rapidroad came with a screw but this one seems to short too. Should I connect the ground cable somewhere else? This is not important off course but I thought it would be nice to mention this before anyone tries to connect the ground cable.

Thx!

Last edited by Riempie; 26 October 2014 at 13:35.
Old 26 October 2014, 14:22   #85
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riempie View Post
I started Trident and added the usb-device (clockport) and clicked 'online'. Now both my 32GB usb stick and boing ball mouse work. The 32GB stick is read-only. Is writing to the stick not working because of the 4GB limit of the Amiga OS?

PS. I needed an other screw (taller) to connect the ground cable. The rapidroad came with a screw but this one seems to short too. Should I connect the ground cable somewhere else? This is not important off course but I thought it would be nice to mention this before anyone tries to connect the ground cable.
My largest USB stick is 4GB so can't test with larger, but I don't think there should be any issue with using larger ones. There is no general 4GB limit in Amiga OS. There is a bug in showing remaining space properly in WB 3.1 since it wraps around 4GB.
I used one of the self-tapping screw from the USB sockets (that you also disassembled) in the screw hole left of the one you have connected the ground cable to.

Edit: Actually, I just remembered that I do in fact have a 16GB stick around here. I'll find it, do a test and report back.

Edit 2: I just tried with a 16GB stick and had no problems copying files back and forth. I am running WB 3.9 so not sure if that makes a difference. Try to reformat your USB stick and see if that changes anything. If there is something invalid with the filesystem, then FAT95 might not like it.

Last edited by demolition; 26 October 2014 at 14:55.
Old 26 October 2014, 21:57   #86
Riempie
Amiga freak

This rapidroad device is very cool!! It works with every usb-device I have tested so far:
- Logitech wireless combo MK520 (keyboard and mice). This combo is still for sale btw.
- USB 2.0 card reader (no extra power). Tested it with a mem stick duo from my PSP. Transfer of files went very fast.
- Dana Elec 32gb USB-stick (ntfs-formatted, so that's probably the reason why I can't write to it)

Now I need to read the stuff about WHDload mentioned in this thread because not all games work anymore (crashes/unstable)

A bit messy now I need the 80mm fan as the A1200 isn't stable when I don't use it. This has nothing to do with rapidroad because this was already the case before (probably I need a timing fix). But it's nice to see the Y-splitter power cable also works as a passtrough for the fan and floppy drive. It's a perfect fit and the lid can still be closed (because of the angled IDE-adapter).

My A1200 is now equipped to the max, using an A500 power supply (hope it can handle this 'beast'), Indy MK2, ACA 030 56mhz, AmigaKit Mas Player, Easynet, USB Rapidroad, PSX-adapter from Kipper2K and Arcade Joystick (using a joystick splitter cable) and also still connected is the Micromys v4 Mouse Adapter (which seems a bit useless now)

I think the only 'add-on' I may want in the future is the usb-plate/connector which I hope Jens will be making someday so that 1 or 2 usb-slots will fit nicely beside the DVI-port of the Indy.

Old 26 October 2014, 22:31   #87
voyager
The show must go on.

Send a message via MSN to voyager
Ah the ACA 030 56mhz, we have the same config.
Can you do a speed test for me? I now have the subway, I want to know if its really worth upgrading.
Old 26 October 2014, 23:10   #88
Riempie
Amiga freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
Ah the ACA 030 56mhz, we have the same config.
Can you do a speed test for me? I now have the subway, I want to know if its really worth upgrading.

Sysinfo shows a higher speed..

Now I like to know the speed of your subway

Last edited by Riempie; 26 October 2014 at 23:20.
Old 26 October 2014, 23:51   #89
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
IIRC subway with 030 give about 300k/sec
Old 27 October 2014, 10:30   #90
demolition
Unregistered User

I have tried with a few more devices I had:
2.5" external HDD: Not working, kept trying to spin up (lack of current somehow?)
XUM1541 (Zoomfloppy) adapter: Detected as seen below, but unsurprisingly no suitable class. Think we need someone to make a class and port OpenCBM.
And also when using a USB mouse, mouse wheel scrolling is working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xum1541.png
Views:	319
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	42025  
Old 27 October 2014, 16:44   #91
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Mine arrived Saturday morning. - Thank's Jens.

All set up & running fine.

Stunning packing btw.
Old 27 October 2014, 17:49   #92
ancalimon
Supernormal

I just ordered one for the XSurf100 I got for my A4000T.
Old 27 October 2014, 21:47   #93
wmsteele

Has anyone managed to successfully track shipping?

I had a email from PayPal on 20th Oct with a tracking number, supposedly DHL/Deutsche Post International Shipments, using www.deutschepost.de results in "No information could be found regarding the mail item." same with DHL.

Would have raised a ticket on icomp.de but the support system isn't activated!!
Old 27 October 2014, 22:32   #94
Riempie
Amiga freak

It took a long time before I could track my package. I could only track it the day before I got the package and it was already in my country. So I think you don't have to worry...
Old 27 October 2014, 23:11   #95
demolition
Unregistered User

While I could not see the tracking information on dhl.de, I could get some info when I pasted it on our national post service's home page, which I knew would be delivering the package. DHL themselves only deliver to businesses here and packages for private recipients are handed to the national post.
Old 27 October 2014, 23:45   #96
wmsteele

Royal Mail was my first stop, Deutsche Post & DHL followed, all have no trace of the tracking number. It could be wrong I suppose, whats the best way of contacting icomp.de/Jens?
Old 28 October 2014, 01:12   #97
ancalimon
Supernormal

I hope it doesn't get here before Friday because I will be abroad. So how long did it take for the card to reach you guys?
Old 28 October 2014, 01:18   #98
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
I hope it doesn't get here before Friday because I will be abroad. So how long did it take for the card to reach you guys?
For me it was this: Received by DHL on the 20th, entered Denmark on the 22th, handed to me on the 23rd in the morning. It could maybe take an extra day to Turkey, so I'd expect around 4 days which would be on Friday..
Old 28 October 2014, 20:33   #99
Riempie
Amiga freak

Out of curiosity... Are there any usb-cd drives for sale that might work?
Not that I will use it much, but this might be an opportunity to access all my CU Amiga cd's straight from the A1200
Old 29 October 2014, 04:01   #100
alenppc

My card arrived today. I like how Jens now has cardboard mailing boxes similar to Amazon. Anyway, connected it to the x-surf, installed Poseidon, and everything started working straight out of the box, very impressed. I never used usb on Amiga so I had no idea of what to expect or how it would work, but everything was very easy. All Usb drives work exceedingly well, massively faster than the internal IDE. I tried plugging random Usb devices for fun, if nothing else, to enjoy reading the funny logs Poseidon produces. A cheap Logitech wireless mouse worked out of the box. Apple devices don't seem to be generally compatible. An apple usb keyboard does not work, but its hub does. An iPad is detected as a gazillion different devices, and its storage mounted. But when attempting to open the iPad storage drive, the Amiga crashes.

Anyway, will do more testing in the coming days...