English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 December 2008, 11:02   #1
mingle

Comment on this LCD TV and Amiga compatibility please...

Hi,

I'm looking at picking up a Samsung Syncmaster 711MP 17" (1280x1024) LCD TV/monitor to use with my Amiga.

It's one of the few Tvs I've been able to locate in Australia that have a SCART connector. It was actually purchased in the UK, so I'm hoping that it'll be able to connect my Amiga 1200 up with no issues...

I downloaded the manual from the Samsung UK website (a huge 35MB PDF file!) and it describes the SCART socket as "EXT(RGB)", so I'm hopeful that means it supports proper RGB input via SCART (and not just ratty old composite video!).

It also has S-Video, Composite video and analog RGB (via an SVGA/15-pin D-sub) inputs

The only apparent fly-in-the-ointment is that it states that it only supports vertical scan rates for 56-80Hz, which I think would cause issues with Amiga PAL screen modes, when it comes to games/scrolling etc...

...or are the vertical scan rates only relevant to the analog RGB (ie: PC monitor) input? I'm a bit vague on that...

I'd appreciate if anyone else could comment or the likelihood of this screen working with an Amiga...

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 10 December 2008, 11:20   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Often the major hurdle to overcome is whether the SCART socket supports RGB input. From the manual, yours should be OK.
I have a Samsung 940MW and its SCART socket is RGB compliant.

Are you using an A1200? If so an Indivision SD/FF could solve alot of issues for you.
However for games use, RGB SCART is a good budget alternative

Good luck
Old 10 December 2008, 11:36   #3
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingle View Post

The only apparent fly-in-the-ointment is that it states that it only supports vertical scan rates for 56-80Hz, which I think would cause issues with Amiga PAL screen modes, when it comes to games/scrolling etc...

...or are the vertical scan rates only relevant to the analog RGB (ie: PC monitor) input? I'm a bit vague on that...

Mike I would say you are right regarding that limitation being on the PC input.
After all it needs to accept 50Hz TV input for correct operation in the UK/OZ

TC
Old 10 December 2008, 12:23   #4
mingle

Hi Fellas,

Thanks for the comments...

An Indivision is on my shopping list and I was hopeful that this monitor would be able to do 50Hz refresh rates...

IF it supports 50Hz via SCART I wonder if I could make up a cable to connect the Indivison via SCART rather that the 15-pin D-sub - if this would get around the 50Hz issue?

... or am I dreaming - yet again! :-)

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 10 December 2008, 15:34   #5
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

MIke

The indivision output is VGA standard & can operate at 60Hz (upscaled), It can only really be connected to the PC-input.
Some say the 60Hz output of the Indivision can upset scrolling but to be honest I can't say I find it that much of an issue.

Technically though If your TV / LCD Scart input takes the native amiga output & flicker-fixes it too. Do you really need an Indivision as well???

TC
Old 10 December 2008, 23:34   #6
Photon

If it's possible to buy a crt with rgb scart, you'll have perfection. Otherwise go with scaler+pc monitor, if you're unsure about the Hz. You could also order a 50Hz 4:3 LCD tv from Europe, but they are strangely scarce here too.

In general, anything that is flat messes with scrolling and general impression of the picture in games/demos more than any Hz converters.
Old 23 January 2013, 01:46   #7
S0nic

i need info too about 711mp

Last edited by S0nic; 23 January 2013 at 04:12.
Old 24 January 2013, 11:40   #8
Hewitson

Forget about using anything other than a CRT unless you want to be disappointed. SCART is not a must, the Cypress CSY-2100 RGB to YUV converter does a brilliant job.