English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 July 2019, 12:08   #1
markuk

Issues reading CHS HDD using JMicron USB adapter

Hi,

I'm trying to image a couple of old HDD's from an Amiga 4000. I run WinUAE as administrator, select the drive, confirm the geometry and click Create Hard Disk Image File

The drives are

WDAC2250 - Cyls 1010, Heads 9, Sectors per track 55
WDAC2340 - Cyls 1010, Heads 12, Sectors per track 55

At this point, the "Processing" window pops up but then UAE just freezes at 0% saying Cyl 0/1010 Head 0/9 0M/244M (0%) and the title bar changes to say "Processing... (Not Responding)". The same happens with the 2340 drive except it says "Head 0/12".

Any assistance would be appreciated, I know Starglider_2 has managed to image a 2340 successfully so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've tried the 2019-07-16 Beta of WinUAE and the same happens.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z WinUAElog.7z (4.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 23 July 2019, 20:03   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It looks like your adapter supports SCSI ATA passthrough which is not fully implemented because I don't have any adapters that support it
Which adapter? (Include url or attach photo)

And because SAT works, it does not attempt to use jmicron hack.

There are so many combinations, perhaps it is best to add some extra command line parameters..

Could you copy&paste Read Identity returned data? I'd like confirm if it is valid.
Old 26 July 2019, 15:40   #3
markuk

Thanks for writing back. I've attached the output you asked for from the 250MB WDC drive. I also included in that the relevant part of the winuae log file. The 340MB WDC drive behaves in an identical way.

I actually tried 3 different USB<->IDE adapters.

Two of them were detected as JMicron and behaved exactly the same way as this.

One of them didn't work at all, the drives didn't show in disk manager or in Winuae.

I then remembered my laptop has an external e-SATA port. I tried a SATA to IDE interface, however when I connected the drive and turned up the power, Windows would not detect it and would randomly freeze for 10 seconds every minute or so. WinUAE also couldn't see the drive.

I had previously tried booting into Linux and had no luck with the USB adapters there. The drives were detected as extremely large capacity drives.

But then I tried the SATA to IDE interface connected to the eSATA port on my laptop and bingo. : In linux I could access the drives and managed to make an image of the drives using dd. I copied these disk images back to Windows and can now start my old Amiga in WinUAE So it worked that way.

I hope these log files are useful for you.
Attached Files
File Type: txt uae.txt (4.0 KB, 14 views)